5 inch baits vs 7 inch baits

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote _macca__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5 inch baits vs 7 inch baits
    Posted: 17 Apr 2009 at 12:43pm
_macca__ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey guys

Just wondered if anyone has view whether the bigger 7inch baits actually get bigger fish.

I tend to use 5 inch baits until they are biting hard then often change to a 7 inch in the hope of attracting the bigger of the fish down there.

Obviously we have all seen very big fish take a standard 5 inch bait or smaller.

And likewise the odd little fella hitting the 7 inch.

Given the extra cost of a 7 inch is it worth it?

Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boulder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2009 at 1:10pm
Boulder View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

In my humble opinion NO
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote infini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2009 at 1:28pm
infini View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

+1 for a NO

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2009 at 1:42pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

+ another. Never seemed to catch anything on the 7" shad type baits at all.
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Milkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2009 at 2:20pm
Milkey View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I only use the 5 inch and have taken 2 over 20lb and a few in the teens. More in the pack Thumbs%20Up
Proud Prowler Roller, bowler and a$$holer since Feb' 2008.......not anymore, Profish 440 yeah boy!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LEVCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2009 at 2:30pm
LEVCAT View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

na man it depends on the day but 7inch are a very good thing to have in the tackle box and i would not leave home without one or two...
this summer it hasn't really mattered for me but sometimes 5' are too small and pathetic.. bring out the big mothers, i find even though they are bigger and more expensive you will catch more fish on one lure, and sometimes you will catch bigger ones, but again that depends on the day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2009 at 2:55pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Actually I have caught some of my best fish on the 7 inch Shads, I think personally its good to have a few of each and everything Wink

Speaking of everything, I was perplexed at those new hooks on the Zman's swimmers  (  the wee ones  not the 6 inch)  a weighted odd looking thing. I just happened to come accross it in Tazze's today ......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Falco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2009 at 3:00pm
Falco View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not really,of the big fish15lb-36lb we have caught on my boat over the last 2 yrs it has been a mixture.
I tend to stick with the 5inch shads more in a pack and you know the big guys will take it just as a little one will. 
as dead as dead is
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2009 at 5:09pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Its  not the size that is important - it is how you use them that matters!

For mine - 5 inch all the way.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2009 at 5:16pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

5 inch shads , 4 inch minnows and swimmg mullets offer better VFM.

For targeting bigger fish on the drop I have been using cheap Kilwell and Squidgie paddletails lately seem to do the biz and good for trolling kahawai and rat kings.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2009 at 5:31pm
brown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

5s do the trick for me, Kings love the 7s tho.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mahiman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2009 at 8:19pm
Mahiman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

For me bigger ones round pilchards and smaller ones around Anchovies.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingfish killer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2009 at 9:32pm
Kingfish killer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Dude if ya targeting big snapps definitley use the 7inch gulps , ive got 14 pounder and a kingi on them . Just like bait fishing , big bait big fish !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZFisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 5:25pm
NZFisher View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bigger is better for Big Snapper. It stands to reason, it's a bigger feed for the effot, so they're nore likely to bite. Not to sy a 3" swimming mullett wont be hit by a 24lb monster....aye Knee Deep.....

Big is good!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote teamkiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 7:47pm
teamkiwi View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

5inch all  the way heres a pic of a snap taken during a comp notice the gulp hanging out its mouth was a black catalpa,if they are hungry big fish will not turn down an easy meal no mater what the size.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m@dfisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 8:11pm
m@dfisho View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

If small snaps are around definatly use the five inch. They just bite the ends of the 7inchs and gulps arent the most durable if you using them. But if you catching some nice solid fish you may as well chuck a 7 on
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote carlostairua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 8:15pm
carlostairua View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

that is a great photo teamkiwi, what did the fish weigh?

personally i'm a big fan of the 7" shad baits over the 5' espec if there are big snapper around, targeting big fish and the chance of a big king being around too....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote teamkiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 8:43pm
teamkiwi View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

thanx epic fish weighed 24.5 pnds was taken in 6mtrs out of rawhiti
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pure--lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2009 at 3:19pm
pure--lure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

what size braid were you using?
http://www.facebook.com/groups/hibiscus.coast.fishing/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2009 at 3:58pm
Cbro View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I think it all depends on the size of the bait fish in the water...at the moment (in my area) they are small so im sticking with the small bait.
I find the 7inch better in deeper water or in strong currents when using a bigger jig head, They also seem to scare away those tinny little ****s that steal ya tails leaving the bigger boys to have a feed on some steel.
Each to there own i say...if it aint slam then it will work!!
Page  12>