Surfcasting Ninety Mile Beach

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NotWorking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Surfcasting Ninety Mile Beach
    Posted: 30 Jul 2002 at 11:01am
NotWorking View Drop Down
New User
New User

G'day,

A group of mates and I would like to fish off Ninety Mile beach during August using surfcasters. Neither of us have done this before and would like some general info as too:

• Is August a good time for snapper off the beach
  • Which end is better, Ahipara or further north
  • What type of baits and rigs would work best up there this time of year

Thanks guys.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2002 at 11:01am
Tomsta View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Howdy,

Ninety Mile Beach surfcasting in August "Generally" is not that successful... However as anytime is a good time to go fishing it is always worth a shot... being an X-local to the area I can recommend fishing off Scotts Point which is about half way up the beach, it is a large rocky out crop which drops off into deep water, surrounded by a ton of weed... you will have luck fishing this area, Trevally, Snapper, Kingies, Kawhawai, Large Rays and sharks frequent the area. Try using a whole mullet head and other sturdy baits, it is a rough area, but one of the only areas where there is good shelter on the beach. A good place to park up for the night with a bonfire and bottle of your favourite. Make sure you take an old pan or sheet of iron as there are a heap of pipies, mussles to be had off the sand/rocks. You will almost be assured of having the area to yourself... the isolation is great. The sunsets amazing. However if you are not driving a 4x4 do not go along the beach anywhere near high-tide.... you would be amazed at the number of idiots who strand themselves. The beach itself is generally a vast stretch of sand and very safe to drive on half tide and below.

Have a Great One!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kerren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2002 at 11:07am
Kerren View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

...Awesome info there, Tomsta!..I feel previledged to read such an indepth and unselfish responce!...keep it goin' fellas as I believe this is what these forums are all about!!
I am Kermit, Leader of Muppets Nov 05
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NotWorking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2002 at 3:11pm
NotWorking View Drop Down
New User
New User

G'day Tomsta,

Thanks heaps for the good info. This 'Scotts Point'... you say it's located about half way up the beach from Ahipara, I take it visually... the spot stands out well? What about travelling time to the spot from Ahipara... another 1 hour? 2 hours? 

We indeed will be travelling via 4x4, packed down with supplies! Do you usually camp out above the high tide mark or go up and over into the dunes?

Thanks again for all the help, much appreciated!

Regards

NotWorking