Rotorua Lakes Daily Update

Page  <1 34567 8>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DezzyTooToo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 11:48am
DezzyTooToo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah Clark , I heard and seen that the streram mouths are doing well , warm lake and cold water out of the streams = fish spa !!
The missuss and me boy like smoked trout so I go to Tarawera and Okitaina for my food source ...

I love cats ......... I just can`t eat a whole one .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BFIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 3:35pm
BFIST View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

That's a nice fish. I'll have to head out there for a fish. I haven't fished Tarawera before. Is it easy enough flyfishing there or is it more suited to spinning?

I went out to Awahou today and it was dead, no one was catching anything and there were a few people there. I had a couple of browns swim up to me but that was it.

I then headed out to the Ngongataha mouth and there were plenty of browns there but again it was hard to get any action. I managed to pick up this nice one on a Woolly Bugger just before I left which I let go.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DezzyTooToo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 4:35pm
Silver
Silver

Looks like your on to it BFIST !
Yes Tarawera is fly fishable from the shore but limited area in relation to the size of the lake .
It will not be as productive as Rotorua and certainly there will be no big browns Big smile !!

Next time I go I will you know .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DezzyTooToo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 4:39pm
Silver
Silver

Oh .... and you`ll need a sink tip or intermediate line .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BFIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 11:03pm
BFIST View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

A few more rainbows at Awahou this evening on the smelt flies. Kept two of them that were about 4 pounds for smoking.

When filleting them I found one of them had a tag in it. Do I just call up fish and game and let them know the details?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2013 at 7:02am
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Download the tagged trout form here http://eastern.fishandgame.org.nz/sites/default/files/Tagtroutmaster.doc  and get it to Fish and Game, you will go in the draw for a free license for next season.
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DezzyTooToo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2013 at 10:14pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by DezzyTooToo DezzyTooToo wrote:

It will not be as productive as Rotorua .........

Next time I go I will you know ........

LOLLOLLOL..........jeeeeeez what a lier he is !!!

sorry BFIST ...... but I snuck out late this arvo back on Tarawera at Rangirui bay {shore fishing } at 6:30 for a one and half hour fish Big smile
 the biggest went 62cm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BFIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2013 at 9:37am
BFIST View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice haul Dezzy.

There's always next time for me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BFIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2014 at 4:10pm
BFIST View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I went up to Awahou with a mate who was visiting for the day, he wasn't interested in fishing but was quite keen to take his camera and take a few shots and videos.

I managed to pick up this nice brown on the edge of the warm and cold water while there was no one else in the water.

After that I moved right into the cold water and picked up a small rainbow and dropped another small one.

Overall the fishing is still quite slow up there still and none of the other guys were getting much either.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2014 at 8:11pm
Titanium
Titanium

Nice work Brett!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BFIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2014 at 6:33pm
BFIST View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I got my letter back from F&G about my tagged trout. It was released into the lake on 17/09/10 and was 180mm.

The trout had grown to 525mm since it's release, not sure how this is in terms of growth for three years.

On another note, can anyone tell me what the fishing is like on the upper Ngongotaha? Would this be a good spot to try some dry fly fishing over summer with cicada's?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonyg26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 10:18pm
Tonyg26 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

hey Brett, an update on how i'm going with the trout hunt, so i have purchased a fly rod/reel, have only been out once since my lesson with you, had no luck but neither did the other 7 guys there so didn't feel so bad,
i have brought my boat over today and im heading out tarawera on thursday after work with a work mate, im going to try some jigging, i have spend the last hour rigging up some traces, i brought one of the pat swife or something  rigs and have copied that a few times, im in rotorua Tues, wed, thurs,
let me know if your keen on a boat trip next week, 

cheers Tony
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BFIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2014 at 9:25pm
BFIST View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey Tony

A trip out in the boat next week would be awesome. Have you got a preference for which day?

Good luck tomorrow.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonyg26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2014 at 9:52pm
Tonyg26 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Tuesdays or Thursdays would suit better for me as I have clay shooting Wednesday nights.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Yoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 9:21pm
Yoti View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Fished  two evenings at Hamurana this week caught fish both outings

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 9:59pm
Titanium
Titanium

Nice fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bryce_s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 3:17pm
bryce_s View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Anyone know how the Rotorua stream mouths are doing?
Thinking about heading to one of the stream mouths or up the ngongotaha after dark.
Went to Te Wairoa last night (till 1130pm).  Was very quiet, lots or koura hitting the line, almost every cast.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BFIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 4:34pm
BFIST View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I haven't been to the stream mouths for a while but the last couple of times I've been to the Utuhina or Ngongotaha streams recently there have been plenty of fish around. I've only fished during the day though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bryce_s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2014 at 11:07pm
bryce_s View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Went ngonataha for 2 1/2hrs, lost 1 fish and had heaps of strikes from mussels (managed to catch and release 1/2 dozen - mussels that is).  Very quiet but nice night.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BFIST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2014 at 8:07pm
BFIST View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I went for a quick fish on the Ngongataha this afternoon for a couple of hours just up past the hatchery. I'm moving up to Auckland to start my new job on Monday so thought I'd try and get in one last fish before I go.

I managed to get a nice brown and a couple of rainbows too. The brown was the hardest fighting trout I've caught. It dug in deep in the pool for a while and then decided to head off downstream and I had to chase.

I also found out it is very hard to take fishing selfies.

Page  <1 34567 8>