Rotorua Lakes Daily Update

Page  <1234 8>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote zimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 7:14pm
zimbo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Can any off you tell me of any good spots to fish, from the Banks of the lake as i do not know how to fly fish, i usually spin fish, but have not tried Rotorua Lake yet. Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tedc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 8:00pm
tedc View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Zimbo

Check out http://www.nzfishing.com/ this site covers the whole country and has the fish and game rules for each location plus access details.

Cheers
Ted
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote zimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 10:40pm
zimbo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Ted for the info

Craig
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LynnM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 9:31am
LynnM View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all - coming down this weekend to Rotorua.  Can anyone let me know where the best spots are now.  Came down a few weeks ago - before the rains came but as the water levels were soooo low did not catch anything worth taking home.  Got to walk to the Log Pool at Okataine though, that was a real treat.  Don't have a boat so never been there before.  Beautiful place.  Can I still walk around or is that avenue now closed to me?  Would really appreciate any news.  Thanks!! Big smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfisherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 6:03pm
Mudfisherman View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Check out the fishing report  for Rotorua on this site.  It fairly accurate.  Fish are cruising over the weed beds around most of the lake.  Boyes Beach is fishing well to a UV Smelt or a silver/pearl Ginger mick in size 10 or 12 and a dead slow retrieve.  Keep an eye out for fish cruising in close to the shore chasing smelt.  There are 15 or so fish trying to spawn at the boat ramp at the end of Benn Road though they are quite spooky during the day.  The transformer and cafe pipes on Rotoiti are fishing ok after dark and are reasonably well sheltered from the southerly.  I don't like your chances of walking to the log pool, though if you felt like bush bashing you might get there.  There is a bitterly cold southerly at the moment and there was a dusting of snow on Mount Tarawera this morning.  Minus 1 this morning,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfisherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 6:05pm
Silver
Silver

Spin fishing the mouth of the Ngongotaha is well worth a shot.  7gram zed spinners or a green or red veltic cast around has been successful.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LynnM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2010 at 9:28am
LynnM View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for your information Mudfisherman.  Most helpful.  Being from out of town and only having a few days always good to hear some local knowledge on where the fish are.  Sounds like the frosts have finally arrived so should be a good weekend. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2010 at 12:42pm
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mudfisherman's info on the Rotorua area is about as good as it gets.
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushkid2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2010 at 1:00pm
Bushkid2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I completely agree Clark. Bert's (aka Mud fisherman) reports fill me with jealousy every time I read them even with my almost weeky trips down that way lately. Thanks Bert and long may you continue to do this. It is really cool to know what is happening even if you do mention my favourite spots a little to much.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bazzman58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 9:16am
Bazzman58 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Lake Rotorua was as flat as a tack, so flash decision to go for a troll over by Ohau Channel and along by the Airport. Launched at Sulphur Point and ran across to Ohau in the boat. Had Traffic light Tassie on one rod and the cobra version on the other. Trolled the 14-20 ft contours and within 5mins had our first strike. Landed and sent back we put the lines back out, in 5-10 mins we had landed 4 fish and released them all. they were at th 39cm mark but they were all fiesty and very aerial. Was a great afternoon of C&R, out for fun not food. Came back in at 5:30 was what fishin' is all about. Sorry no pics as was having too much fun. 
We all have one that got away..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bazzman58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 10:35am
Bazzman58 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Went out for the first of the new seasons fishing, had to test the licenses to see if they worked.
Started out at Ngongotaha but was worse than the southern m/way on a friday night, so shot over to the Airport and trolled towards Ohau . My mate got the first fish, nice and fat and fiesty.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LynnM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 10:53am
LynnM View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Man so jealous.  I have never been out fishing at the beginning of the new season as there just seems to be so much to do at that time of the year for me.  Lake looks just wonderful in your pictures.  Glad to hear that the new licenses do actually work this year, will have to come to your part of the world as soon as I can to test mine.  Just have to make some time between work, kids, husband, farm, etc to get there.  Smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hinke729 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 8:16pm
hinke729 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Had a good couple of days for opening weekend.
Friday was very slow and ended up changing lakes from rotoiti to tarawera which resulted in a change of fortune.

12 fish over the two days including a few nice 7 pound rainbows on Rotoiti on saturday. By the whispers ive heard, sounds like we had pretty decent copuple of days fishing.

How did every one else do out there?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Outram Nugget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 11:57am
Outram Nugget View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Had a jig on Rotoiti Sunday, lots of boats moving around and didn't see two many caught.  Managed only two fish, one about 25cm long (released) and a very nice condition jack of 5.5 - 6 lb.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bazzman58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 12:32pm
Bazzman58 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by LynnM LynnM wrote:

Man so jealous.  I have never been out fishing at the beginning of the new season as there just seems to be so much to do at that time of the year for me.  Lake looks just wonderful in your pictures.  Glad to hear that the new licenses do actually work this year, will have to come to your part of the world as soon as I can to test mine.  Just have to make some time between work, kids, husband, farm, etc to get there.  Smile

Be happy to take you for a troll on Rotorua, when you get here. Weather and Trout permitting.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FarmerBrowne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 7:37pm
FarmerBrowne View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Popped out to Lake Tarawera on Saturday.  Its been several years since we've been on this Lake.  Had some friends renting a house on the Lake for the weekend that were keen to get out for a fish.

Tried jigging where I saw sign = 0 fish

Tried deep trolling 20-50 feet with a down rigger = 0 fish

Tried harling with a fly a metre in front of a lure = 7 strikes - 6 fish landed - 4 fish kept 400-450mm long and 2 tidlers returned

2 of the fish caught had tags, one on a returned tidler and one on one of the keepers

All fish caught were on either a traffic light lure or a white harling fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bazzman58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 11:40am
Bazzman58 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Another early morning session on Rotorua, the wind was 5-10 knots from SW so fished Ngongy side. Trolled between the stream mouths using cobras, four colours out in 16-20ft of water.

Landed 5 fish two of which didn't meet the boats minimum (40cm), so they went back, the other 3 weren't so lucky and made the return trip with us. The fish are in great condition, and when filleted are a beautiful salmon colour, and sweet to taste. Crumbed and pan fried with garlic butter..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EDyaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 1:00am
EDyaka View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Have been fishing the Waiteti stream mouth a bit recently - definitly an improvment in the numbers and condition of fish turning up esp in the eveningsSmile - seems to corelate with the numbers of fishermen as wellCry - doing well on small nymphs esp the likes of the cooper johns - but the takes can be very subtle often not more than a slight dip on the indicator (not even enough to take it under) or a set of rings being released away from it - esp with the stream running so slow.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 4:19pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Is anybody fishing Hamurana yet? Tried it a couple of weeks ago, and got one take after an hour's fishing and that was it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mudfisherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 9:38pm
Silver
Silver

There are quite a few fish in Hamurana Stream at the moment so they must be moving in from the lake.  I saw 4 large browns and a dozen or so rainbows of various sizes there today.  I hope fish Hamurana tomorrow lunchtime so can give you an update.  Unfortunately there has been little sun over the past week or two- sporadic bursts at various times of the day so stalking browns is very challenging.  The decent rain that we had last night caused many rainbows and more than few browns to enter the Ngongotaha overnight.  The few anglers that I managed to chat with all had a ball today.  Very good conditioned fish so they say as well.
Page  <1234 8>