Rotorua Lakes Daily Update

Page  <1 5678>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FarmerBrowne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 10:27pm
FarmerBrowne View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Lake Rotoiti is still slow - persistent wind is not helping much but I have managed to hook the odd fish trolling in the kayak while on my way home from work.

One last Friday and one this evening

one on a green rapala lure and one on a green harling fly

dunno why these pictures won't load - never had any problems in the past
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FarmerBrowne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2014 at 8:04am
FarmerBrowne View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Fishing is certainly picking up.

Went out for a paddle in the kayak yesterday evening and met a couple of dodgy characters at the ramp who had a good haul of fish.

They gave me the good oil on what to do and gave me a fly to use (3 on the new fly) - thanks Colin & Bill.

Managed to get 5 trout for the smoker.

Water temperature has risen 3 degrees since I was last out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2014 at 8:27am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Good effort FB. 
Was good to catch up with youBig smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tmmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2015 at 5:04pm
tmmo View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Is anyone getting into them around the mouths yet?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 12:15pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The warm settled weather has finally arrived and is forecast to carry on for the next week, and with silly season coming to an end and with Clark's Looney smelts in the box heading over on Monday to see what if anything is happening at the stream mouths best way to find out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Yoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 3:00pm
Yoti View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Mate and I spent Friday fishing Rotoiti 9 fish taken home 1 jigging the rest trolling nice fat fish they were full of very small smelt
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Yoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 4:57pm
Yoti View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Mid week all day fish on Rotoiti with two of Bazza's mates, 10 kept 1 returned and lost some as well, all trolling. Tried jigging as well. Plenty showing on sounder down deep but Zero result on that. Visitors got a good look at the scenery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Maxi's Fishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2015 at 7:41pm
Maxi's Fishing View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys ! 
I am a french i use to leave in Australia for 2 years and now i am in NZ for ayear ! Maybe more :-) ! I have a fishing Channel and i am learning how to fly fishing because i was just a spin fisherman !
Have a look on my first video in NZ it's few trouts from Rotorua And the first one was a 70 cm brown trout on 4lb leader
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF4KyJHY6QY
Youcan also have a look on my web site to know me and what i did :
http://www.maxisfishing.com/

Thanks a lot and see you on the edge of the river :-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 5:21am
Mossy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice fish you've been getting. Great videos!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote advtracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 6:26pm
advtracing View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Fishing Rotorua lake last weekend on saturday morning , 8.30 - 11   , 6 landed 3 lost  3lbs ish all the same stock , wild rainbows 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hermit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 2:35pm
Hermit View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Needing an excape yesterday, shot down to Rotoehu and had a ball! Typical certainly not trophy fish as usual, but plenty landed. Came home with a nice bin..... next weekend destined for the cold smoker
Connoisseur of fine beers and ales!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 3:15pm
Accident Prone View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Hermit Hermit wrote:

Needing an excape yesterday, shot down to Rotoehu and had a ball! Typical certainly not trophy fish as usual, but plenty landed. Came home with a nice bin..... next weekend destined for the cold smoker
Nice one Hermit, I have been thinking of trying Rotoma/Rotoehu/Okareka but have been a bit busy on the weekends. What method did you use? Trolling , jigging ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hermit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 9:14pm
Hermit View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Was just trolling and running in a new axillary .....it's a shallow lake (10m) so was just trolling a sinking flying with a 6m trace. Black Toby was doing the damage most consistently.   Off to Rotoma sometime this week...... see how that's fishing at the moment
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 9:45am
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Grew up holidaying at Rotoehu, was an epic spot for a young guy to learn the ins and outs of boating and fishing!

You are right in that the fish aren't big (in 10 years, I think the biggest 'trophy' we landed was about 5.5lbs), but there are plenty of hard fighting 3lbers in there that are eager to smash just about anything.

Purple clown tassie devils and traffic lights always went well for us, plus the good old black toby. in particular the darker lures as the water quality is poor.

Fly fishing and spinning were also always productive. Parsons glory or wooly buggers on a floating line, i dont even bother with a slow sinking line except on the drop offs on some of the arms as the shoreline is generally pretty weedy. 

Great lake for getting kids into fishing as the fishing can be a bit easier than on some of the bigger lakes!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hermit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 8:07am
Hermit View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Your right there......great lake with its arms to explore....used to do a lot of kayaking on there also. Got one big surprise the other day though......went for a gander up to the end of Haupapa bay ant right at the end in the forestry, is a pretty nice home being built! What a setting!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Yoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 4:38pm
Yoti View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Been awhile since any reports on here.
Had a few boat fishing trips since the start of the season we,re getting fish each trip some harder fishing than others. End of last week had a trolling session  late afternoon  and early morning next day on Lake Rotoiti, Mate landed 4 keepers 1 myself put about the same number of undersize back.  The weekend before  11 fish on boat between 5 anglers 3 of them(1 adult 2 Juniors) hadn't caught trout before they got 1 each. Fish are on smelt and Koura x19 inside one fish

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Yoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 10:09am
Yoti View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Fished Rotoiti off a mates boat this time, saturday day trip tried jigging and trolling. Jigging did'nt work for us picked up 5 trolling best around 6lb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 9:02pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for the update Yoti. Hopefully I'll migrate over Friday otherwise early next week.
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonyg26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 3:53pm
Tonyg26 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Fun morning (3/1/18) on the edges of Lake Rotorua, Wind was a bit **** for casting but ended up with 3 rainbows and 2 browns, All released for another day.
Went back on Sunday, Nice weather, Not one fish for me, Mate got a nice brown, but slow fishing, Need the lake to warm back up and bring the fish back to the stream mouths.

http://www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote crispy12120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 3:08pm
crispy12120 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

After a successful trolling trip on a mate's boat, I thought I'd try my luck shore fishing. Spent a few days out at various stream mouths trying out different spinners and even flyfishing. Took me 3 trips but finally caught a trout! 

Measured 51cm from head to fork and put up a great fight, splashing everywhere. Caught it at the Waiteti stream mouth during sunset. I had hooked up to another smaller rainbow but it dropped the hook. I didn't think I would catch anything so it was very exciting to feel the trout bite and run while I was reeling in my 10th or so cast. 

Keen to get back out there but sad to hear about this: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11971976

If there are any Rotorua-ians around who would be open to have me tag along, please send pm!
Page  <1 5678>