CANTERBURY KAYAK FISHING CLUB

Page  <12345 271>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Goobie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2009 at 12:45pm
Goobie View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Banks peninsula is looking like it will be kayakable on Saturday, especially around midday. I'm considering doing either southern or eastern banks peninsula if it stays that way (and the wife doesn't object).
Does anyone know if you can launch at Otanerito bay or somewhere close? Judging by the LINZ maps I'd say it'd be worth a visit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Goobie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2009 at 1:42pm
Goobie View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Anyone keen for a kayak fish on Sunday? I've got the afternoon free and will probably go to either Motunau or eastern banks peninsula.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yakkaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2009 at 5:10pm
yakkaman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Dean, Wazza,Shaun aand i are heading to Lake Pearson for the night and back late tomorrow afternoon.
100% Fishing!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yakkaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009 at 12:53pm
yakkaman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

A great night of fishing we drank,drank played some tunes talked some crap and drank some more.

Oh yeah one rainbow and two eels caught as we stumbled around or should i say staggered around between Wazza falling ove everything like twiggs i think he a balance problem LOL

Nothing caught next day but a great time had by all.
100% Fishing!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Goobie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009 at 9:42pm
Goobie View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I ended up fishing at Little Pigeon bay today, thought I'd pick somewhere relatively calm as I was fishing alone. However it cant've been calm enough for someone who had been eating pancakes & cream for brunch - I puked these up, had to head back into the bay to recover, by that point I'd only caught some small red cod.
I anchored among some big masses of seaweed and caught 6 wrasse, some were pretty big. Didn't check out the mussel farm in Pigeon bay.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yakkaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2009 at 10:25am
yakkaman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey Chucky i know what you mean i ate fish n chips before i went out with fancyfoot  a couple weeks back felt queezy for quite awhile.

Kayak meeting this Thursday 6pm at Paddlerzone.

All commitee members imput required to granville for agenda.
100% Fishing!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gollyfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2009 at 1:54pm
gollyfish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

ummm! im thinking of heading up to the sounds as i've a long weekend this weekend, with  swells not too flash down here though wind looks great! i recon i'l leave thursday morning and come back sunday or monday.
anyone know any spots for snapper or kingies up there? milli?
i might not make the meeting so please accept my appoligies! in advance!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yakkaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2009 at 9:15am
yakkaman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

A big bonvoyage this Saturday for Waz, one of our club members some new members will not have met him everyone is invited to a barbie and alot of drinks starts around 3pm for those that have kiddies get a late pass.

Also a good way to catch up and plan some fishing before winter kicks in.
100% Fishing!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2009 at 6:24pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by gollyfish gollyfish wrote:

ummm! im thinking of heading up to the sounds as i've a long weekend this weekend, with  swells not too flash down here though wind looks great! i recon i'l leave thursday morning and come back sunday or monday.
anyone know any spots for snapper or kingies up there? milli?

i might not make the meeting so please accept my appoligies! in advance!

The shallows of the QC sounds have been fishing quite well for Snapper and trevally in the evenings. Got a couple even at low tide the other day. Have not really been chasing Kingfish.

If I was you I would probably head over to Okiwi Bay or even French Pass Thursday/Friday (The weather looks great everywhere). Avoid the pass itself but consider heading over to the smaller Islands just off D'urville. I saw a kingfish there this time last year, the coutas were also in plague proportions.

Saturday afternoon the nor-wester is going to arrive (it looks to be relatively weak so should not be that bad) which would probably make Tasman bay a bit choppy. Should be able to find relatively sheltered waters around Elaine Bay or Tennyson Inlet. Or head over to Mahau (been told kingfish are quite common around the Kenepuru heads), Grove Arm or even Port Underwood which could still be holding kingfish, saw a massive KY work up near there the other day.

From my experience the Mahau is fishable during a norwester, just need to find shelter on the far side. The main Kenpuru sound can become quite rough but its always possible to find isolated sheltered areas. If you have a fish finder it is possible to find a few deep holes on the northern side of the Mahau which snapper often hold up in. There is a nice long one which starts near the heads and a smaller one opposite a point about halfway down the sound.

edit: The holes are easily visible on the free LINZ maps.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobe yak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2009 at 7:23pm
tobe yak View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Oppologies for tomorrow, wifie working, im on baby sitting duties.
Gold fish gatherer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2009 at 9:31am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Gollyfish,

The first mussel farm on the right as you enter Kenepuru Sound fishes well for me.  I normally fish just inside the farm.  I have caught snapper, kahawai and gurnard there, also quite often mackerel around, which can be fun on light tackle.

I have had suceess mostly at slack water especially around dusk.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2009 at 7:48pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Would be quite a distance to paddle back to the car after dark from that mussel farm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gollyfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2009 at 10:51am
gollyfish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

thanks guys im weighing up options at the moment as the ol ball n chain is unwell with a tooth absiss! though im not sure weather that should make any difference!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gollyfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2009 at 1:59pm
gollyfish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hi milli im comming up have you got a contact number? i'll need a tip or 2!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gollyfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2009 at 3:34pm
gollyfish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

thanks milli, ill text you tomorrow. ollie.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote goosebayhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2009 at 3:40pm
goosebayhunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hey boys anybody keen for a fish on sat or sunday trying to catch brownys on the kayaks in the kaiapoi river or go down to the mouth of the mak and spin for salmon or kahwi im gonna be trying something new for trout im gonna jig never done much of it so lets c how it goes anybody keen give me a text 0211802587
globe warming,higher sea levels,more fishing spots
BRING IT ON
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote grimace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2009 at 5:12pm
grimace View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'm planning on heading out to the Waimak tomorrow morning to try for a salmon on my kayak. Probably just anchor up at Macintoshes and see whats happening. If you see me out there come say hi.
Cobra Fish and Dive - Sjørøver II
ZMU7181
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote onthefly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2009 at 9:40pm
onthefly View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sorry Chris cant make it ,but good luck mate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote goosebayhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2009 at 7:38pm
goosebayhunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hey chris what did u get fishing the waimak i went up the streams on foot and ended up with a nice 5.4 pound browne and i got a few ass i fell in the river ahahahah im going out to the waimak mouth before the breackers to try get some big kawhi tomorrow anybody keen?
globe warming,higher sea levels,more fishing spots
BRING IT ON
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote grimace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2009 at 7:56pm
grimace View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Caught nothing. Neither did anyone else while I was there. By the streams do you mean where the three rivers/creeks/streams come together by Mill road? I went and had a look up around there after I got sick of having a wet bum and dead legs.
Cobra Fish and Dive - Sjørøver II
ZMU7181
Page  <12345 271>