CANTERBURY KAYAK FISHING CLUB

Page  <1234 271>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yakkaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2009 at 2:18pm
yakkaman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Launched at Sumner with Fancyfoot and decided we would paddle around to Taylors, i picked up fish on the finder all the way at several locations but nothing taking i even tried salted bonito thinking must have been mullet.
Spinnining, trolling, SWFlies and even sp's readings ranged from sea floor 10m, 9m, 5.5m, 2m and surface
I am wondering weather it was moki and the odd ky?

really weird that even bait didn't work mind you water wasn't that clean and a bit choppy!
100% Fishing!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yakkaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2009 at 5:54pm
yakkaman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Looks like i am going to move to the nth Island and become a commercial yak fisherman.

You won't believe it bloody redundant again

Why do people employ staff when thye know that they are not financial call yourself Companies useless F**KRS ruin people's lives you can all s**k my ....

100% Fishing!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobe yak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2009 at 6:54pm
tobe yak View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Sorry to hear that yakka man, that does suck, big time..........
I didn't do much better at kaikoura the sea was unsettled, so i was limited to hidding insie the Peninsular 1 x octupus 1x Perch 1x Blue cod 1x Wrasse all to small and released.
I went snorkeling with another guy with no visibiliy and he managed 2 crays, pua and the biggest kinas i have ever seen.
Given the poor success rate lately im off charter fishing at Motanau next Monday.
Gold fish gatherer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote onthefly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2009 at 3:57pm
onthefly View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I was over at Moana for the wknd and paddled Lady Lake in mirror calm conditions. I spotted one slabby trout in a creek mouth and saw 3 decent fish rise. Never touched a thing in over three hours and trying various methods. Nevertheless, I would give it another go when fish are more active. The risers were estimated at 3-4lb each. Congratulations Kelvin, on the new addition. Now you have that out of your system you may be able to concentrate on more fishing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2009 at 8:09pm
kj View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I wish... between changing nappies and putting in huge hours at the moment, well I have time for um, very little really. But the good news is I'm getting a leave pass this weekend, bad news is the weathers crap (in the forecast) so I'll probably end up working through. In Auckland next week then hopefully another chance at wetting a line- f'n hate this recession.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gollyfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 12:36pm
gollyfish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

im gonna give the mussel farms(pidgion bay) a go this weekend( friday- sunday). swellmap looks promising for the north side of penninsular, failing that the water temp at heron should be falling!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 2:42pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi guys, congrats on forming the club. 

Gollyfish, I noticed your mention of kingies around mussel farms in one of your posts. 

In the sounds I have seen some massive kingies hanging around the end floats on the mussel lines.  They don't seem to be feeding, just hanging out under the farm and can't be tempted out.  Despite repeated attempts from a boat with all sorts of methods. I have never gotten one to take a bait, lure or livey.

If anyone has success from a kayak I would be keen to hear how.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 7:27pm
kj View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Ollie old chap-- there's a better mussel farm option further out on the peninsula and it's closer to cleaner water too- oh and because I'm a lazy bugger it's literally a 5 minute paddle from the launch point-  It would be worth scoping and I may bee keen. The Mussel farms at PB are a bloody long paddle!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gollyfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 8:25pm
gollyfish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

kj young man , as i did point out in a previous post, i'm wondering if perhapse dirty water may actually be an advantage when you are targeting a species known for it's rather inconvinent habit of feeding mostly at night, such as our old friend the blue moki. i stand to be corrected in this theary but it goes something like this.... becouse i would like to fish during the convinent hours of daylight and the moki feed at night, im surmising that below the surface, dirty water, may give the fish in question the impression that....
 a.its still dark or
b. that it's not quite as light as it usually is during the hours of daylight
either of the above may, be enough to spurr on a veritable feeding frenzie i hope! however it has to be mentiond that....
c. some fish do not like dirty water.
which of coarse means i wont catch any!
of coares i am backing up said theary, with a little information i was happy to glean from a work colligue , as you will have read in my previous post, im sure!.
allso the farms in question are not a "bloody long paddle" if you use one of a kayaks secret wepons........ its abillity to be launched just about anywhere! such as, the nice beach at  little pidgion bay as opposed to pidgion bay itself , from there it is only a 5/10 minute paddle. 
anyhow i'm willing to try your mussel farm too, as it  sounds like it may be better than mine!Wink      
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gollyfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 8:28pm
gollyfish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

just kidding old chapLOL, im going over to Lpb tomorow ur welcome to tagg allong if you want, if not, i can do something on sundayThumbs%20Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 8:41pm
kj View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

yeah well had'nt though of LPB as a launch-those cliffs are a bugger when you can't use the beach. I may be in for Sunday. Anyhow Menzies bay is the spot you can park your car 100 metres from the mussel farm there and it sees bugger all pressure so if you're keen we could go for a look. I was thinking of Menzies as a night venue some time as it's got a boat ramp, is pretty sheltered and such a short paddle.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gollyfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 8:44pm
gollyfish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

mikeaqua, yeah, down here, their gennerally found swimming round floating clumps of weed apparently "not feeding", im reliably told these fish are caught on either a grim reaper cast and cranked at extra super high speed or with a popper lure, however i cant speak from experience as ive never even seen one yet!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 10:19am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have tried poppers without success, will have a crack with a reaper next time. Of course I still haven't figured out how I would stop a large kingi from heading straight into the mussel droppers but I'll burn that bridge when I come to it!

I know a mussel farmer who sits on the end float with a spear gun and waits, but that hardly seems sporting.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Goobie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 4:56pm
Goobie View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I could be keen for Pigeon bay on Sunday, although I see at this stage there's a predicted southwesterly of around 30 knots for that area, any comments on how safe it would be in that wind?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yakkaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 5:44pm
yakkaman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Harden up Goobie, Ollie is going out there today to sus things out.

I have an inerview on Tuesday and have had 2 other phon calls to see if the salary was in the right bracket group for me
Dumb if your unemployed i'd take anything except bloody Smiths C...y ROBBERS.

I PM'd Clark Reid today and he is coming to ChCh at the CFFC will be a discussion on Salt water fly fishing as well see Onthefly for details.
100% Fishing!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Goobie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 6:08pm
Goobie View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

People in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 7:22pm
kj View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Doug- sounds like a good meeting, I'm planning on fly fishing the salt more often so should be cool to here "da man" speak. I'm going to get some flycasting practice in on the mid rakaia tomorrow by the gunclub I guess, strong southerlies and 14 degrees means Sunday will be spent on the couch or banking brownie points for me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote goosebayhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 7:55pm
goosebayhunter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

sorry boys i broke a bone in my foot sorry ill be off kayak for a few weeks a few of my mates caught so salmon so you guys should be trolling down the wamak
globe warming,higher sea levels,more fishing spots
BRING IT ON
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yakkaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2009 at 11:11am
yakkaman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

i don't have a glasshouse LOL  you are awful but i like you.
A good frind of mine is going to tie a few SWF flies for me.
Maybe it's time for me to start this hobbie up for winter.
100% Fishing!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote onthefly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2009 at 9:02pm
onthefly View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Ollie. Did you get out to the mussel farm? If so how did you do?
Page  <1234 271>