Wellington Vis / water conditions

Page  <12345 1049>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Paul M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2009 at 10:35pm
Paul M View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey Case, I wouldn't have picked that mate, she looked blue as from shore all weekend. The tides are huge at the moment tho like you said.

i often reckon the vis outr a t kapiti has heaps mopre to do with the tides than we give credit.

Who did you get out with? my boats still out of action.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2009 at 7:37am
case View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hey paul,my boat should be back together this week.ill give you a call when im heading out.

i just went with a fishing mate up there.he had been out on friday catshing tuna galore just off the north end. got me all exited only to be shot down.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Eric de Vries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2009 at 8:32am
Eric de Vries View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah Neil from Westcoat Charters was saying the same thing about albies. All the way down to Makara apparently.

http://www.southernbluefins.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2009 at 10:22am
DeKay View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Went for a swim saturday morning with tuco. We parked at devils gate and walked from there. The current was strong and vis was good 8-12m as we swam around. Plenty of good size butters around and some very large blue moki. I saw my second trumpeter ever, the same size as the last one (approx 20cm). Schools of makeral, small blue cod and the odd red moki were also around with the regular hiwihiwi and wrasse. We swam around some nice structure with walls dropping to 10-15m with sandy bottom. Some nice focussed buddy diving enabled us to go a bit harder with tuco getting great bottom times at 15m. A few crays on the way in (up to 8kg ;-) and we had a decent feed. Approx a dozen fish and a few crays between us. A walk back over the gate an a few mozzie bites later and we were off. That's two saturdays in a row with 10m vis and great hunting. Go Wellies! (winter soon and a new baby will put me firmly in the house for a while). 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote theclimb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2009 at 6:14pm
theclimb View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

just round at the lighthouse.....the seals just seemed to bugger off and do there own thing once i was in the water...is it still ok to have your fish on a floatline if in heavily seal populated areas? i was just putting mine in the catchbag but became a pain as it was more or less like an anchor... but didnt want them to come over and clean them up when i wasnt looking??? cheers Perry 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mullins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2009 at 10:15pm
Mullins View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Seals occasionally steal fish but that seems to be pretty unusual, at least around Wellington. It's never happened to me, even though I've had a few seals come sniffing around while I've had fish on a line.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2009 at 10:59pm
case View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

anyone know who put the two fads in on the boulder bank?
theyre only in 15m of water?  very strange.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Terrapin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2009 at 12:01am
Terrapin View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hardly ever had problems with seals except 2 notably times. Was half way in from sunken rock one night just on dark when something hit my mates float in front of me. It totally freaked me out especially when I called out and got not answer from him and couldn't see him anywhere in the gloom. Just had to make my way back in and I was just about back when I got hit, when it came back for another fish I saw it was a seal to my relief. It had ripped the gun off my mate and once I told him it was a seal he swam back out and retrieved it. Weird cause I have hardly ever seen seals at Makara.
One other time at Red Rocks a big bull seal took all of my girlfriends butters then swam at her and at the last minute turned and knocked her pretty hard. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MattB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2009 at 7:16am
MattB2 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have been diving at ngawi before and the seals never bothered me either- even though there is heaps of them around.  My mate has had his fish stolen at makara by a seal too maybe there are more aggressive round there? haha.

I went for a dive on the the south coast yesterday, vis was real bad a breaker so ended up going to scorching bay for a bit of a look round.  I saw what I'm pretty sure was a cuttle fish.  Are these very common in wellington? was a weird looking little thing, just same past me and didn't see it again.  Also found a pretty big conger in a hole round there - must be a resident
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jaydogfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2009 at 7:08pm
jaydogfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

are the fads visible from the surface
THE DOGG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2009 at 7:56pm
case View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yip they are a bit of a shipping hazard really.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mullins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2009 at 8:02pm
Mullins View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by case case wrote:

anyone know who put the two fads in on the boulder bank?
theyre only in 15m of water?  very strange.

The notes on them say they are part of a larvae research programme. They're covered with sponges, presumably to catch the little fellas on their way past.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2009 at 8:33pm
case View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

ok no worrys.they looked pretty home made to me.so thats what people like herby get payed to do is it. reminds me of a time when i was working  down south and doc were setting traps unsucessfully trying to catch rare tussock moths, the bulldozer driver came over and emptyed his airfilter out ,and it was chokka with them.LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote felixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2009 at 10:04am
felixx View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by thegrunter thegrunter wrote:

just round at the lighthouse.....the seals just seemed to bugger off and do there own thing once i was in the water...is it still ok to have your fish on a floatline if in heavily seal populated areas? i was just putting mine in the catchbag but became a pain as it was more or less like an anchor... but didnt want them to come over and clean them up when i wasnt looking??? cheers Perry 

I have used a catch bag for butteries and never had issues, but it is a pain to drag with 10 paua and a few fish. I have a paua spot near Kaikoura that is near a seal colony and I get to swim with them all the time.

One day I nailed a wrasse and let it drift by the seals, no interest in it.. maybe they were full up with squid, I used to see heaps of seals miles offshore when I was on the trawler.

Glenn
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tall stories Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2009 at 12:00pm
Tall stories View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Im thinking of comming down for a dive again this friday, what does the water look like? has anyone been for a dive on either coast lately or is planning on having a dive this week that could post what it was like.

cheers again guys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mullins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2009 at 12:18pm
Mullins View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Vis was rubbish at Kapiti but the guys who dived Makara yesterday said it was really good down there. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Omebic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2009 at 12:30pm
Omebic View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Tall Stories we are planning on heading to Makara/Ohau Wednesday arvo if the wind permits so will post later in the evening for you.

We took the boat out from Makara on Saturday morning and vis was 2m in some places and 4-5m in others but glass flat at times. I imagine Sunday was better. Got a few crays, paua, butters and blue moki although I lost my dive torch transferring crays from pouch to boat and couldn't find it after scrounging around in 6m of murk. Some days on the water can cost alot.

M
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spearsniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2009 at 12:33pm
Spearsniper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Vis was shocking out at Kapiti on Sunday. We did a complete circuit of the island, and there were not any patches of clean water.
There was also no clean layer of water under the dirty stuff from what I could see.

On a positive note, we saw Albacore tuna smashing a school of baitfish around the back of the island. Murphy's law made sure that they were in the reserve!!!
Really cool to see tho.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mjl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2009 at 12:37pm
mjl View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Dived Southern end yesterday and it was complete arse - heard albies up to 35kg were being caught though...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chalkeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2009 at 6:01pm
chalkeye View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Made it out to Makara this afternoon for a poke around. Unfortunately my speargun didnt.

vis was pretty do-able, heaps of jellies that the spotties were happily noshing away on. saw all the usual crowd and an octopus, got seasick / grumpy at not being able to kill anything and came in.
Page  <12345 1049>