Wellington Vis / water conditions

Page  <1234 1049>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote long john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2009 at 9:45pm
long john View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

bloody hell, have I finally found the 200mm+ paua? Say it's so!Clap
Proud member of the Glen Innes Spearfishing Club
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote frank's a fairy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2009 at 9:47pm
frank's a fairy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

island bay is a reserve?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2009 at 10:11pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So? 220mm!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Omebic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2009 at 10:11pm
Omebic View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Isn't Rat Island AKA Tapu te Ranga? AKA part of the South Coast Marine Reserve?

220mm Paua is a monster - sell the shell and pay off your mortgage.

M
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Local Buoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2009 at 11:15pm
Local Buoy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Conditions were perfect today at least 6-7 metre viz.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2009 at 8:08am
case View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i went for a dive yesterday and got a 230mm paua, and an 8 kg cray. i was just swimming back and saw a 5m bronzie, shat meself ,and dropped both of them. sorry no pics
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Yakkin Warrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2009 at 9:44am
Yakkin Warrior View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Had a swim near the boatramp round from moa point (no idea of the name). Followed the weedline round the bay down to 7-8m. First dive it was clear that 1. I'm seriously underweighted and was like a bobbing cork and 2. that my cold from last week has not cleared out since I couldn't equalise properly. GREAT. Swam round on the surface and saw a tiny cod who wanted to eat my flopper in the shallows and a small blue moki. No other life seen at all, area didn't look promising so close in, next time will get out deeper.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Omebic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2009 at 10:49am
Omebic View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Case you evil but funny man - you have 666 posts right now.

M
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2009 at 1:42pm
case View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Evil%20SmileEvil%20SmileEvil%20Smile  ha, no worrys omebic, seriously i am keen to see this monster cray though.
go gettim.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2009 at 1:43pm
case View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Evil%20SmileEvil%20SmileEvil%20Smile  ha, no worrys omebic, seriously i am keen to see this monster cray though.
go gettim.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2009 at 1:43pm
case View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

go gettim.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cuzza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2009 at 2:13pm
Cuzza View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey does anyone know the time difference between the Wellington tides and the tides at Sinclair heads? just cant seem to get the devils gate at slack tide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Paul M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2009 at 3:15pm
Paul M View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That bit of water is influenced by both the pacific and tassy oceans, good luck getting that right
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote theclimb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2009 at 5:23pm
theclimb View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

8kg cray...hed nearley tow you under imagine the size of the tail that would be such an aewsome pic!just wondering if anyone has any idea of viz on  south coast Wairarapa ? cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2009 at 10:06pm
DeKay View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Vis should be good, a while since the last southerly, some calm days, northerly forecast tomorrow. I will be out in the morning. High tide for wellington 2.10pm, I'd imagine the salps will be around as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote e.m.p! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2009 at 11:58am
e.m.p! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I didn't grab it, as it is a reserve. I found the paua by chance, there was no indication of a 'nest' and it seemed to be only one around (that's probably why it survived this long).
O.k. before I receive more grilling, I couldn't get my tapemeasure out (?), so I used bodyparts (!) and 22cm was the minimum Big%20smile length! No seriously - it was the extended length from the tip of my thumb to the tip of my middle finger and this turned out to be 22cm.
I know it sound odd and the max length is supposed to be 19 but I believe in 8kg Crays as well.

2 cent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fizzlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2009 at 1:05pm
Fizzlesticks View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Cuzza Cuzza wrote:

Hey does anyone know the time difference between the Wellington tides and the tides at Sinclair heads? just cant seem to get the devils gate at slack tide.

I found this the other day, it may be of use to the geographically disadvantaged members of this forum

It doesn't have to be fun to be fun
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote theclimb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2009 at 4:22pm
theclimb View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

just shot out to Ngawi (sp) Wairarapa...... managed half a dozen butterfish and a nice Moki would say weight is at least 5kg-6kg will upload a pic soon..so was a really good morning viz was great up to 8M..any one else get out? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote S.O.T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2009 at 5:38pm
S.O.T View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

You get harrassed by the seals? Did you dive north or south of Ngawi?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote case Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2009 at 9:39pm
case View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

kapiti today was green as.a colour change at the boulder bank corner but twas only around 5m vis and past snapper rocks was surfable swell. what happpened?must be the big tides at the mo?
Page  <1234 1049>