Using GPS from USA in NZ

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Captain PK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using GPS from USA in NZ
    Posted: 19 Feb 2009 at 11:26pm
Captain PK View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I've been checking eBay and GPS units are a fraction of the price in the USA. Has anyone out there had experience with USA Humminbird products brought back to NZ. Humminbird themselves haven't given me a straight answer and the local retailers here say that the parallel imported ones don't work properly here (software here in metric vs USA imperial, time zones different etc etc). I'm looking specifically at a combination GPS/Finder unit (model 595C). Appreciate any feedback.
Cheers,
PK
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2009 at 7:38am
Tinky View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

_popupControl(); I imported a Lowrance unit from the states, and had no problems with it. All units have the option of being able to choose the type of units you want to use. If it does not have that option, it is not worth buying! Go into one of the dealers here, and play with the specific unit. You can then ensure that this feature is available.
Just bear in mind that the warranties will only be honoured from where you buy it from. If something goes wrong, you will have to send it back to the states. Generally not much of a problem, just make sure that you have all the documentation regarding the repair otherwise customs try to get you to pay import duty again when it comes back. (had that fight already)
I purchased the nav chart here.
I have no problem with companies making a reasonable profit , but to have to pay double the price locally for goods is a bit much for me. I was looking to purchase some windlace recently, and found that most of the suppliers were selling it for between $11 - 15.00 per meter. I eventually found one supplier selling it for $3.00 per m(same product). Somebody is ripping us off.
Have boat - must fish!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2009 at 9:03am
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They should work fine. I know that the US Humminbird Fishfinders only have imperial units, I do not know if that also applys to their GPS. With the current weak NZD the saving might be smaller then you expect.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fshboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2009 at 11:36am
Fshboy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yep, you're correct they US models are in imperial units, but with regards to GPS you will just need to get a NZ Navionics gold card (which are readily available over here). So you will also need to factor in the cost of the GPS card on top of what you pay for the unit in the states. I have a friend who made a simple metric / imperial conversion chart which he has laminated in his boat for reference. But after using it for a while you will get used to it. Hope this helps.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cds2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2009 at 10:26am
cds2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey there, i have just bought a Humminbird 788 ci from USA, nope you cant get software to take it metric but yes the chart plotter feature works just fine. There are a few fetures you cant use, eg tide display. I have a tide graph on my watch so that is not the end of the world for me. I have made up a small conversion sheet on excel with temp from 7 deg to 27 deg and dist in 5m incremints. Works a treat for me!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jason@kayakfishingnz.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2009 at 10:39am
[email protected] View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi cds2,

I'm just about to place my order for a 798ci who did you order yours off?

Cheers, Mental
www.KayakFishing.NZ

Kayak Fishing - It's Catching!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2009 at 10:54am
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

my handheld gps is from canada and works fine here. its a magellan and its metric or imperial. my hummingbird fishfinder however, despite being from canada )metric country) is only imperial measurments. not a gps just a fishfinder.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote felixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2009 at 10:58am
felixx View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

as far as I am aware nautical miles and knots are not metric anyway...

so the only issue is depth and perhaps temperature...

Originally posted by TG

LMAO felixx, you a sick puppy! hehe
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ritual Groove Meister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2009 at 9:30pm
Ritual Groove Meister View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I got a handheld humminbird from states and the damn thing worked on North and West rather than South and East
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Busted! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2009 at 10:41pm
Busted! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The humminbirds seem to be the only units that can't swing between metric and imperial.  The Lowrance ones can, and the more expensive brands definately can. 

It can really be a hassle with the feet and degrees faren-farenheig-F, so it would pay to get one in from say, Canada which should be able to do metres and celcius (crap it's bedtime the speelling has gone to crud...)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote red89mx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2009 at 10:58pm
red89mx View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Mental

I got my HUmminbird 797si from thenerds.net in the states.

Sites such as www.streetprices.com help find the best deals in the states.  I ended up going via nerds.net but like many other US based sites they will not take non US credit cards or ship international.

I have used Amazon.com for some items as their stores often take NZ credit cards and they ship internationally....but they are rarely as cheap.

To get arround international shipping (and get better shipping prices) I use http://www.shipito.com/. To get arround NZ credit card use Paypal or google checkout (can set google checkout to use the shipitto address).

As for units etc - I got the GPS working well (needed to change how entered some data) with a NZ purchased map card.  Use Nautical miles, can still remember to work in feet...only the temp gets me.  Looking at doing the same as other posters and make a laminated conversion chart for the boat.

The dollar is not that flash anymore - although getting better .

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cds2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2009 at 8:23am
cds2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi, i got mine off ebay, dealers name was wackysdeals. Everything went really quickly. From the time i paid for it it took 8 days to arive here. paid with credit card.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2009 at 9:44am
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

busted, the one i got from canada was imperial not metric. likely cause they're made in the states.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jason@kayakfishingnz.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2009 at 8:13am
Silver
Silver

Just ordered me a Humminbird 798ci SI from the US :)
www.KayakFishing.NZ

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MR D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2009 at 9:01am
MR D View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I got an lowrance HDS-5 from canada cost NZ$1400 landed NZ new price is $2700. Works perfect and has metric units.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2009 at 9:31am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

MR D - did you get it sent from a website in US - what? And how did you get NZ maps? Thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZ_Nitro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 10:57am
NZ_Nitro View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah I would like to know too Mr D I hate how we get ripped here in NZ with local suppliers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 11:52am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

wmjmarine.com have great deals on Lowrance HDS unitsWink
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jason@kayakfishingnz.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 1:03pm
Silver
Silver

I got my Humminbird unit from www.jandhproducts.com
www.KayakFishing.NZ

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 1:06pm
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yeah i like the look of that site, will no doubt order a fcv620 from there.
Page  12>