shimano surf rods

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote buddha37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: shimano surf rods
    Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 5:27pm
buddha37 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

hey ive seen a deal on a shimano beastmaster 2 piece and was wondering about how well they, work my last caster was broke it never caught any fish but the guy wouldnt refund me, but seriously i have a 8foot eclipse which i love but am looking for a proper job for the beach etc have a nice aerlez xs 8000 to go with whatever i get, just really unsure where to start is it worth going to the backbone elite for the xtra dosh

As for reading some of the topics here Id be keen to fish with anyone whod want to give me ago as id love to get into lbg and some of these winter trips youve got planned, but realize I need to put some time in first  have wagon can drive week days nights live on the shore
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 5:44pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The backbone elite is a nice rod but it is heavy. I would get the beastmaster.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bungel_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 5:53pm
Bungel_ View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Shimano Beastmaster is a nice cheap rod, great value!.. But do be careful with the tips. I have had 1 break on me before casting a simple 2 ounce sinker out. I have since heard alot of people having the same thing happen. They have a very soft tip, which is great for picking up the bites and keeping tention on the line.. but easily broken.

Try the guys at Just Fishing on Wairau Road.. just past the Westpac bank heading towards taka. Should be able to give you some good advice and some other ideas.
here fishy, fishy fishy.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 6:00pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

yeah the BB elite is quite solid.

The older beastmasters are a pretty good rod - Ive got the 10-15kg 10ft one which is probably a bit heavy off the beach - would recommend something closer to 8-12kg if you can find out. Not too sure on the newer beastmaster rods as havent fished with them.
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SWiM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 6:46pm
SWiM View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have two 12ft 2 peice 15 KG Beastmasters. The model I have, have a problem with the butt/spike section of the rod coming out, but other than that they are a great rod. Not sure what the cast weight is, but they cast up to 5oz fine. They are fairly stiff rod and fast action, so they don't bend right over when you've got a fish on. Also a bit lighter since they're graphite.

My two have also had a couple fairly hard knocks and to my surprise they seem to be fine with no cracks or anything, only had to replace one tip guide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote one leg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 9:03pm
one leg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I now  fish a 10ft 10-15kg 2pc as well .which i've modified for my Alvey's very nice rod ,i'm finding i'm fishing with it more and more now and not often will i take another rod (have 12 as well), can go from catching small bait fish straight to 26lbr's ,hard to beat those graphite rods light as a feather and good stoping power. maybe a bit short for surf ,magic on the bricks though.the two pc 14ftr's are surrposed to be nice in the surf ..
woman who say they are equal to men ,show lack of Ambition .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 9:45pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

hey SWim - mine did that too. Bit of glue sorted it and hasnt come out since!
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SWiM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 9:58pm
SWiM View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah, with my first one I just noticed it missing after a fishing trip. Second one was already glued on when I brought it from the tackle shop. one leg, what modifications did you make for use with Alvey reels? I was thinking just adding another reel seat on the first space between the Spike and the handle before the main reel seat would be a perfect spot.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2009 at 6:45am
John_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I use Penn 3 piece 12ft was sceptic at 1st but put it thru it's paces & still going after a few years. Just bought the Penn Ultimate 16 footer 3piece came with a Penn 850ss combo package.
The shorter version 12ft same deal.
But 11yrs ago I had a custom rod made. Chose a blank & used fuji guides, ali butt section stronger than the norm, 15.6ft medium action just set & forget. This is still going strong.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2009 at 9:07am
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

bmi_SafeAddOnload(bmi_load,"bmi_orig_img");//--> I have the 2 piece 10-15kg Beastmaster rod matched with the 6500 Baitrunner using 15kg line off the rocks.
To me the rod is a little light for 15kg line, but is good stopping power for average snaps around the weedy shallow areas.
Havent used this setup off the beach, probably would drop the line weight down to 8kg for that.
A good rod for just over a hundred bucks

A friend of mine, she has the 2 piece 10-15kg Beastmaster "Lip Stik" rod, the girlie pink rod, matched with the 6500 Baitrunner, bloody good action, seems a little more stiffer in the action than the regular Beasties, just that its pink.
When my Beastie dies, it would be pretty hard not getting 1 of those as a replacement...... just you bloody guys giving the owner sh_it about it haha

If you can get up to Fletcher Bay at the top of Cape Colville north of Coro, bring a tent, piss, berley & the rest of the carry on & will show you some places for LB... some guys from this forum are coming up next Thurs 26th, Im up here now & for a little while longer

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote one leg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2009 at 9:50am
one leg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Swim ;adding an extra seat lower down works well (done that to several other rods i own)tape your reel on and just make sure your hand dosn't go straight to the other reel seat i moved one for that reason ,but with my 10ftr  i shortened the butt ,topeye is still a little close but not a problem ,i have also shrink wraped an extra hand grip above the the old top one .A good friend fish's a short butt rod with a 6500 bait runner and that works very well ,he has also told me that it gives better control  having the reel closer to the body for it allow's better working of the rod .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote one leg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2009 at 9:53am
one leg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

oop's  sorry ment the first eye to reel there Swim (not top eye ),Hunts in Milford have a great selection of rods if you get a chance to look
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote buddha37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2009 at 9:40pm
buddha37 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

went and got the 12ft 6 2 piece beastmaster from fish city today cant wait to use it was best akl price too at only $114 very stoked thanks all for your input
chur
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2009 at 10:13pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Good stuff you'll get good use of the rod. Dunno if best price in Akld though...still not bad

good luck with it!

Ps - check to see if the end cap on the butt is loose on it - if so then glue it up
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2009 at 11:28pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That's a good price! Well done, you'll get a lot of use out of that rod and it'll take the knocks.
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.