Advice for those starting out

Page  <1 45678 126>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Azazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2009 at 10:07am
Azazel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Narcosis_prince Narcosis_prince wrote:

Yeah i reckon they are a big help to me.... i used to use just normal fins, but when i changed to free diving ones i was nearly doubling my depth. i guess cause your getting alot more for a lot less effort. I only use a pair of cressi garras ( check spellin ) but they seem to do the trick, i was told not to go to stiff to start with,,, but whatever your comfortable with i guess

I wouldn't worry about your 'only cressi garas'. They're the same fins that both our male freediving world record holders use. They can get to at least 88m, if you're interested.

Just about any of the usual brands in a reasonably soft stiffness will do you fine. Just find a pair that fit well and you can afford.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jaydogfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2009 at 10:55am
jaydogfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

hey my rob allen 1200 tuna is sick- when i put the spear into the locking part it sort of locks but with a bit of a pull on the spear it comes free without pulling the trigger! any ideas why this is happening?
THE DOGG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote long john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2009 at 11:31am
long john View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

RA have used various handpieces over the years so what the handle look like?
Proud member of the Glen Innes Spearfishing Club
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jaydogfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2009 at 11:54am
Gold
Gold

grey with blue strips
THE DOGG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheSnapperWhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2009 at 12:03pm
TheSnapperWhisperer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Reel Screemer - green Esclapez are a weidely used soft fin that you may well find suits you very well.  People have preferences between fins and there are a number of others that are available at similar prices overall.  At the end of the day fit of the foot pocket is most important.  Fins that don't fit well will cramp your feet or give you blisters or other problems.
I prefer the Black Team Picasso pockets with plastic blades because they fit my feet well and seem to support the blade very well.  But there are several brands that use the same unbranded molding as Picasso (your spearo shop assistant can help you identify these).  Being able to change blades in standard pockets is an advantage over the Esclapez. 
Esclapez fins have a pocket that is too soft for my liking, but others love them. 
In the 1990's virtually everyone had green esclapez fins and we didn't complain, so they are a good starter fin for sure.
http://www.facebook.com/TheSnapperWhisperer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote long john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2009 at 12:05pm
long john View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Hmmn, it could be that the mono loop going through the hole in the shaft has been crimped too tight. If so, the mono jams above the shaft in the mech and stops the mech functioning properly. With the shaft in the mech, you should still be able to stick your finger through the loop, otherwise, too tight.  Failing that, it's either a spring of too lighter gauge failing to provide the required resistance for the sear or possibly some other mech issue. If you're a handy bloke, you can pull it apart (there's no real brainteasers going on inside them-they're very basic) or just send it back to where you got it and let them deal with it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jaydogfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2009 at 1:59pm
Gold
Gold

**** i think you are right on the money i just changed the mono and didnt leave enough of a gap. cheers for that!!!Thumbs%20Up
THE DOGG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote long john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2009 at 2:31pm
long john View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

trap for young players, that one. There's no practical disadvantage in having a gigantic loop so don't be shy with it.Let us know how you get on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jaydogfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2009 at 2:38pm
Gold
Gold

sweet cheers mate!
THE DOGG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keeweebee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2009 at 5:11pm
Keeweebee View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by TheSnapperWhisperer TheSnapperWhisperer wrote:

I prefer the Black Team Picasso pockets with plastic blades because they fit my feet well and seem to support the blade very well.  But there are several brands that use the same unbranded molding as Picasso (your spearo shop assistant can help you identify these).  Being able to change blades in standard pockets is an advantage over the Esclapez. 
Hey TSW, i see on the wild blue vid you're using the 'ice' fins, have you noticed any direct advantages of these in regards to showing your presence to unsuspecting fish as opposed to a non see-through fin? I am putting together coin to get some of these because in theory they make sense, but am tempted to just bugger it and head out to grab some Picasso Black Teams and be done with it. At least then i can change to some Camo blades if i'm stuffing up all my approaches. Your thoughts?
"I need the sea because it teaches me"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tiras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2009 at 5:19pm
tiras View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

they are going to see your body before thay see your fins!!
RiCK JaMeS B1TcH
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keeweebee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2009 at 5:32pm
Keeweebee View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

What about if your fins are waving about above you in the swell like sometimes happens? Looks like a couple of little warning flags to the fish. There's gotta be something in it or every company would just make black fins. What you got Sam?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheSnapperWhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2009 at 10:17pm
Titanium
Titanium

Yep my Omer Ice are nice fins.  Quite good power for plastic and the Omer Millenium pockets have a good transfer of power as they hold the blade nice and stiffly, albeit not quite as comfy on my feet as my picasso pockets because the Millenium pockets have some fairly hard rubber and are a tighter fit.  I think yes the clear blades make a difference in the whole cammo package.  I've been using some long fibreglass blades for a while for a change more than anything and to toughen up my legs, but I do like my ice, especially as they are nice and soft and good for surface swimming or for winter when I am not as fit.  So, the Ice are probably a little better than picasso black plastics - but more expensive I think.  Choices like this (ie, Ice vs Black Teams) are reallky just tinkering and will make little real difference overall to your diving. But they look cool, huh?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keeweebee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2009 at 10:53pm
Keeweebee View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Indeed they do!, good food for thought there Snap, decisions....decisions...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2009 at 9:17am
TG View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thought I'd post it here, anyone know what the Ronstan floats down at Wildblue go for. Someone mentioned $80 the other day and I was wondering if this would include the flag as it seems a little steep without a dive flag.

Getting my gun in a week and need to line up a float and line etc to hook the thing onto. If anyone has any used ones lying around by the way, let me know, I'm not picky.
TG
http://mondoedge.com
http://twitter.com/mondoedge
http://facebook.com/309681785793

"Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Screamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2009 at 7:45am
Reel Screamer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

U can get ronstan floats without flag at Wettie(darren shields website) for $55 or at oceanhunter for $59 or $85 for float  with flag. Wildblue sell rob allen floats that are similar for $79 or $99 for float and flag.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheSnapperWhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2009 at 9:47am
Titanium
Titanium

Just a point, a search through the forums here will give you lots of reasons to put a flag on your float.  So, if you get one without a flag, make sure you you put one on it straight away.  They are not hard to make - I used a wire one made out of some number 8 wire for ages - just needs a counter weight of lead on the bottom.  It's yet easier to make them like the Wild Blue ones, and you can do that with some cable ties and a plumbing fitting and a small bit of fibreglass and sew your own flag. Of course with all the hassle you may as well buy one with a flag fixed on it for a small amount extra.

Ronstan floats BTW are still about the most versatile float there is. Very simple, they last forever (Mine is about 15 years old and going strong).  Well worth the money when compared to floats made of other material that are not as hard wearing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 9:59am
TG View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Indeed yes SnapperWhisperer. I will make sure to spend that little extra and rather be safe.
TG
http://mondoedge.com
http://twitter.com/mondoedge
http://facebook.com/309681785793

"Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Local bouy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 3:54pm
Local bouy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys, learner here. Just curious how deep is the average diver getting? and how long a breath hold? Im at about 30ft, done 50m dynamic for the first time yesterday...2mins 30sec static (on land) different story in the water though...Is it all in the head? I should be able to get 2:30 or there abouts underwater too ya think?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mullins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 4:13pm
Mullins View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Depth varies heaps between individuals.

It is psychological to begin with, as you would be able to hold your breath a LOT longer than 2:30 without blacking out. Getting more accustomed to apnea will make you more comfortable with the sensations inolved and you'll start to dissociate them from the emotional associations they initially bring with them. To a point. As you get better it becomes a physiological game, i.e. your body adjusts physically to the stress of apnea and so you improve without changing any other variables. From beginner through to advanced however, technique is always a big factor.
Page  <1 45678 126>