Advice for those starting out

Page  <1 121122123124125 126>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 9:32am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

oldyella you put that under your suit? I thought they were meant to go over. My bad.

I guess it depends where you are acclimatised to, I spent 20 years in northern Aus and when I came back to NZ, my body has never been able to adjust to cold.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 9:47am
Phantom Menace View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I also use one of the open cell vests under my suit.  (and a new, well-fitting 5mm makes a big difference)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chillwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2015 at 11:53am
chillwave View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

PSA: went looking around a few FCO branches this morning. Cressi Gara 3000 plastics are a good price, $75 at the botany and mt wellington stores. They have them at manukau for $95 but you could prob get them to match the price. rrp was $275

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2015 at 11:55am
TG View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Very good price indeed, I grab some from Italy for about that price the other day. If I was looking for fins, I'd definitely go for this.
TG
http://mondoedge.com
http://twitter.com/mondoedge
http://facebook.com/309681785793

"Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2015 at 11:56am
TG View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I believe they were $275 when I went to fit them at FCO.
TG
http://mondoedge.com
http://twitter.com/mondoedge
http://facebook.com/309681785793

"Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Geofinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2015 at 5:31pm
Geofinz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

They are a pretty good fin and a real bargain at that price, just keep in mind the pockets are best suited to a narrower foot.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote baffled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2015 at 10:40am
baffled View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Buy them (if they fit), I have had 2 sets - first ones (the black type) lasted 3 years. Now I have the grey ones... cost $220 then $180 i think. Those prices are crazy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote YoungGun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 6:24pm
YoungGun View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

hey all, im based out of dunedin and was just after a bit of advice i've been diving for over a year now and got a rob allen scorpia and relatively basic other gear and have been saving up for a while and was wondering what package deals you guys would reccommend. budget is around $1000. cheers in advance
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troy Tempest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 6:39pm
Troy Tempest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Why go a package? You have a nice gun- look at the other bits you need- pick the ones you like best from all the usual good suppliers....
·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸¸·´¯'·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸ ><((((º>
.¸¸·´¯'·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸ ><((((º>

Just quietly getting on with it...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote YoungGun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 9:31pm
YoungGun View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey thanks, was thinking of getting a gun bigger for North Island foshing as my rob Allen is only a 75cm and I don't think would be as suitable for diving up north, so thought a package would come cheaper
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote YoungGun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 9:32pm
YoungGun View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey thanks, was thinking of getting a gun bigger for North Island foshing as my rob Allen is only a 75cm and I don't think would be as suitable for diving up north, so thought a package would come cheaper
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote e.m.p! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 9:51pm
e.m.p! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

75 is indeed a bit on the short side. I recommend to invest in a good fitting suit - all other material can do on the cheap, but getting cold too soon sucks. Then gun.
having a longer gun rocks for further up north, but no use if you're up there only one or two times a year. A 100 or 110 still kills most fish but may be a bit more versatile for Dunedin
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote chalkeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 10:01pm
chalkeye View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

float like a crowbar, sting like a bee
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Philip van Zijl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 1:34pm
Philip van Zijl View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A 75 is perfect for the South. I would go for a 120 railgun, if you want to have a permanent solution for your arsenal
Never underestimate and old man with a spear gun ;)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BassTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 11:28am
BassTech View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Question on etiquette / safe practice

Hi all,
Over the weekend while boat-fishing with anchor down & burley, we had a spearo jump in the water about 60m astern of us. He then swam up our burley trail (and lines and hooks) until he was 1 to 2 metres off the side of our boat, and then swam past us to a about 5 or 6 metres ahead of our bow. Meanwhile, his boat followed a similar line after allowing him to get ahead of it, though didn't come quite as close to us - maybe 10m off the other side of our boat. 

The boat then came in 5m off our bow under motor to pick up the spearo, and they then drifted back out - at one point going within arms reach of our boat, though at a pretty slow drift. 

A number of questions arose for us here:
- I assume it's legal to spearfish with tanks?
- Given the description I've given, does this sound like adherence to good conduct? in particular, fishing up our burley trail, and then right in close to our boat? - a good technique, but not very respectful..
- Similarly, for a not insignificant period of time, the spearo's spotter couldn't see him because he was on the other side of our boat - didn't seem very safe to us.

From what I know of spearfishing, it looks awesome - but I don't have any experience or knowledge so thought I would ask here for any insight. Needless to say, having just caught a 76cm 16 pounder and 3 decent pannies in the 25 minutes before the spearo turned up, we weren't too impressed when the bite went off, and didn't look like a particularly safe / smart way to go about it...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mullins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 11:41am
Mullins View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bit confusing - was he on the bottom (scuba) or on the surface when he swam up the burley trail? Bit of a dick either way, but if he was on the bottom he might not have been aware he was swimming under your boat. If he was on the surface then yeah, particularly poor form.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chillwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 11:43am
chillwave View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

spearing on tanks says it all really. the guy and his crew sound like absolute c ocks

of course you keep well wide of another parties burley up - you wouldnt entertain another boat pulling up next to yours and dropping lines in your burley trail - same applies for diving

when he was close to the boat i wouldve started the engine and revved it hard (in neutral), hopefully scare him enough to burn through a heap of o2
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BassTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 11:48am
BassTech View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Mullins: hard for us to tell how deep he was until he was close, at which point he was visible at times. diving up and down.

I've spotted for divers before, and his bubbles were often indicative of being close to surface ... 

in any case depth was 16m, so not much room in there....

Chillwave: - that did cross our minds Confused - but also didn't want to make a potentially dangerous situation worse...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Swartie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 11:48am
Swartie View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

my limited knowledge as follows 

tanks, that would be the scoobie club. 

-yes it is legal to spearfish with tanks, just not legal to collect paua.

-no laws really i believe, where you fish, up to the people involved, after all, what's stopping you anchoring up next to another boatie and fishing their burley. personally I wouldnt do that unless a boatie came to the spot where i was diving (yes it has happened)

-did the spearo have a float? remember the spotter wont always see the spearo, but has a knowledge of where they are. As a diver, the spotter cant see you once under water and with currents etc, you could surface a fair distance away. 

next time it happens, ask the diver whats under your boat. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BassTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 11:50am
BassTech View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

sorry, didn't make it clear - he was scuba-ing... but up and down near surface a lot
Page  <1 121122123124125 126>