Advice for those starting out

Page  <1 34567 126>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jhjhhj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2009 at 6:17pm
jhjhhj View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

simon most people arnt going to tell u thea spots =p  but good
I snoop Red Moki!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jaydogfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2009 at 10:20pm
jaydogfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

ask (it gota away) if you can share your wetty together. just make sure he knows the no pissing rule, AND you will be able to scope out fish easier!
THE DOGG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Narcosis_prince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2009 at 9:04am
Narcosis_prince View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Any one got any descent plans for a fish boat/plait ( the float you actually put the fish inside) just did my 3rd ever dive at the merc's the other day on my own ( had the old man on the boat ) and got bumped by a 9ft bronzy! ...... and are ya meant to whack them on the nose, cause i dont think he liked it to much?

"Going down is a way of life"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Screamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2009 at 10:32am
Reel Screamer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ma mate said , this is kinda stupid but.. buy a kid blow up boat from the warehouse and put a box or something like that in it so is dosent get a hole in it LOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote _Jimmy_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2009 at 1:07pm
_Jimmy_ View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

search PLAT using the search function.Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2009 at 2:34pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A boogie board with a bag on top works OK
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mullins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2009 at 2:45pm
Mullins View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Until it fills with water, turns into a drogue, comes to bits and you can't make it back to the starting triangle cos you're already buggered from swimming out to Red Merc. For instance.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheSnapperWhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2009 at 3:12pm
TheSnapperWhisperer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep, those who try building plats tend to regret it and wish they had just spent the $500 or so to buy one off Steve McD.  Otherwise, as DD says, a cheap boogie board and home made flag and an old catch bag.  Still, you might find you still end up wasting some money on a half-a$$ed effort.
http://www.facebook.com/TheSnapperWhisperer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KeriBOI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2009 at 4:37pm
KeriBOI View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Reel Screamer Reel Screamer wrote:

Where are good places to look for John dorys, e.g depth terrain and location?

They can be anywhere, ive shot them in weed, on sand in on the rocks.

Usually the best place is a weedline. Look for small fish and dive that area with your buddy watching. They can be hard to find. Check out this vid for what to look for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyWmXCPkm9E&feature=channel_page

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Screamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2009 at 9:23pm
Silver
Silver

Hi what method of finding snapper do you find more sucessful..burleying or snooping?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KeriBOI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2009 at 9:59pm
KeriBOI View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bigger snapper are usually snooped, but you can still get goodies on a berley
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheSnapperWhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2009 at 10:25am
Titanium
Titanium

Burleying teaches you alot about snapper behaviour and where is a good location to find them.  When you have burleyed for a while you will begin snooping as if there is a burley in front of every likely looking rock, and eventually, your snooping will become good.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Narcosis_prince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2009 at 1:14pm
Bronze
Bronze

alright so have had a change of heart about the plats. unless i can find one thats easy to transport and fish storage in one...... thinking more along the lines of a kayak? maybe kill two birds with one stone... any of you guys use one and whats the best model to spear from? the mrs wants a tandem but i figured thats all good, just means i got more room to put the fish!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Narcosis_prince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2009 at 1:15pm
Bronze
Bronze

alright so have had a change of heart about the plats. unless i can find one thats easy to transport and build...... thinking more along the lines of a kayak? maybe kill two birds with one stone having a means of on water transport and fish storage in one... any of you guys use/used one and whats the best model to spear from? the mrs wants a tandem but i figured thats all good, just means i got more room to put the fish!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fizzlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2009 at 2:23pm
Fizzlesticks View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I reckon Tandem is a good option because you can leap frog each other down a section of coast. However the big problem is finding a crew member for your yak (I wouldn't rely on the mrs). Check out snoop dogs kayak/plat setup.
It doesn't have to be fun to be fun
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheSnapperWhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2009 at 3:57pm
Titanium
Titanium

kayaks are great - there is a range to choose from. Sit on tops are easy top get in and out of and often have good stowage that suits.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Screamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2009 at 8:30pm
Silver
Silver

Do freediving fins make much of a difference to your spearfishing and freediving. And as a beginner what sorts of brands, materials etc of fin shall I get?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2009 at 8:34pm
TG View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

To me it makes a big difference. I have a pair of "seasub" fins that is ok for a start i reckon. I paid $110 for them.
TG
http://mondoedge.com
http://twitter.com/mondoedge
http://facebook.com/309681785793

"Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Narcosis_prince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2009 at 8:37pm
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah i reckon they are a big help to me.... i used to use just normal fins, but when i changed to free diving ones i was nearly doubling my depth. i guess cause your getting alot more for a lot less effort. I only use a pair of cressi garras ( check spellin ) but they seem to do the trick, i was told not to go to stiff to start with,,, but whatever your comfortable with i guess
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Screamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2009 at 8:11am
Silver
Silver

Am looking for some soft flexible fins. would the immersion green made by Jean-Baptiste Esclapez at wild blue do the trick. Any other suggestions for fins 2 get....Cheers
Page  <1 34567 126>