Advice for those starting out

Page  <1234 126>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MattB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2009 at 5:41pm
MattB2 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thats helpfull Mullins.  I had no idea that 50% for an experienced freediver would be such a task.  Im pretty begginer and I find 50m with fins is comfortable and can do that quite a few times with a 1-2 mintute rest in between
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2009 at 6:05pm
Phantom Menace View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

TG and MattB2,
Have you considered Underwater Hockey and Underwater Rugby? 

Both are different to free-diving and spearfishing but they will get you in the pool regularly (weekly) with mask, snorkel and fins on.  IMO underwater hockey is more about speed in the water and fast recovery time between while underwater rugby has you on the bottom more and extends your breath-hold as it is played in the 5m dive well and longer bottom-times are good.

One of the big differences for both (compared to spearfishing) is that you are usually trying to swim fast rather than stay relaxed and cruise (conserving energy and breath).  There are several others here who play underwater hockey much more seriously than me that can probably comment on the similarities and differences.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2009 at 6:08pm
TG View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not a bad idea at all phantom menace. After reading Dave's remarks about determining your limit and going through the pain, I don't really know what the pain is, never done it before. And I wouldn't have the faintest idea where to get to my limit as I don't have any idea on the signs to check for and when to actually know it is time to breath now!

I guess a session with "nobubbles" is in order.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Azazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2009 at 6:21pm
Azazel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I spearfish, play hockey and freedive, without being particularly good at any of them. Hockey is pretty good for general fitness & getting time in fins while freediving is great for finding your limits, training the dive reflex, training streamlining and efficiency.

From a spearfishing point of view, hockey has the disadvantage of spoiling streamlining and relaxation, plus if you train hard for a while, your body gets used to breathing too often :(. Freediving can make your dive reflex almost too strong, whereby you increase your recovery times because of oxygen debt on reasonably 'easy' dives. In other words, both help, but do them too much and they start to hurt.

Don't forget though that both are also a lot of fun on their own!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keeweebee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2009 at 6:29pm
Keeweebee View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey Dave,

so you're saying fitness can compromise you're breathholding capabilities?, i've noticed that since i've gotten back into running long distances, my CO2 tables have become alot harder and i'm not progressing to slightly longer breathholds as easily as i used to.
Its a real dilemna as i cant give up the running but want to be a better spearfisherman, maybe time to hit the pool and do some dynamic breathholding?

"I need the sea because it teaches me"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mullins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2009 at 6:43pm
Mullins View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes, being very aerobically fit is likely to compromise breathhold diving. Doing the pool stuff will probably help a fair bit. Although noticeable it shouldn't be a huge problem for spearfishing depths; it's only at a fairly high level that the two really refuse to play nicely together, forcing you to make a choice between them. Luckily periodisation works fine - do a stint of aerobic work in the off-season and the negative effects will wear off pretty quickly leaving you with a good strength base.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keeweebee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2009 at 7:14pm
Keeweebee View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks Dave, that one's been bothering me for a while.
You should be charging us plebs for this info.Wink
One more thing, anyone want to enlighten me on what recoil is?
"I need the sea because it teaches me"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2009 at 8:00pm
TG View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

And I'm still hoping for anyone pointing me to a pool where I can exercise in the north shore, perferably in Brownsbay or torbay or albany or so.

Yet again Dave, thanks for the info. I'm taking it to heart and I reckon I am going to try and put some effort into both spearfishing and freediving.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BRUNTY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2009 at 8:01pm
BRUNTY View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Boxing is also a very good way extending your breath-hold time .
some may disagree , 10 to 15, 3min reps on a bag is fantastic it works your cardio and done right teaches you to breath with your guts and not your chest, the power you build in your legs is awsome ,
and on the bright side if you miss that 10kg boary , you can take it out on the bag when you get homeBig%20smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smelly nelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2009 at 8:35pm
smelly nelly View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

if i can get some else experinced to come along i will take out 3 newbies on my boat on a couple of  different weekends,no cost as i would be going anyway,just have to get to waiheke
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2009 at 9:48pm
TG View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Aye Smelly Nelly, give me shout when you make plans. I can only make it from the end of the month cause I would still like to chip in some $'s for petrol and all. A little on the "end of the month salty cracks" now and basically just hitting a few shore dives not to deep as I am going at it alone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote David C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2009 at 10:43pm
David C View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Mullins this is probably a question for you.

Whats your thoughts on diet.

I imagine at your level you would be on a strict diet and you can probably notice the difference if your not eating rite.

Do you think a decent diet would do much for an intermediate level spearo in combination with a few pool sessions and then spearfishing during the weekends?  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2009 at 12:04pm
TG View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

To double wrap? Or not to double Wrap?
TG
http://mondoedge.com
http://twitter.com/mondoedge
http://facebook.com/309681785793

"Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote long john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2009 at 12:28pm
long john View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

That is the question! Easy answer before I duck for cover is 'No'. Get closer to the fish.
Proud member of the Glen Innes Spearfishing Club
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2009 at 12:30pm
TG View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

3 metres does sound efficient, not meaning that I reckon I can get that close to the fish but I just dunno if I would be able to hit anything further than 3 m! :)
TG

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2009 at 12:41pm
Phantom Menace View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A thread from a few weeks ago with some useful (and not so useful) info if you are starting out:

Just thought I would post a link from the sticky thread so it doesn't get lost.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2009 at 12:52pm
TG View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm down to page 17 (Working my way from the last page forward). Didn't read all the topics but caught those with newbie info. I can honestly say that I have learned a great lot there and I reckon every newb on the forum should go through that exercise.

One think that I read in the old forums was that some guys injected LAtex into their inflatable floats. Does this make them sorta solid. I am asking as the inflatables seems to be way cheaper than the solid ones. Are they OK or is it better just getting the non-inflatable ones?
TG

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote David C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2009 at 1:25pm
David C View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

If you have limited space or your planning on traveling then get a decent inflatable float,
you will have to take a bike pump with you every time you go out though

Don't get one of the blowup ones, they puncture really easily around rocks etc and are just crap.

The solid ones are good for diving around rocks.
The ronstan ones are good & quite cheap, they also have an indent to wrap your float line around.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Azazel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2009 at 2:34pm
Azazel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by TG TG wrote:

3 metres does sound efficient, not meaning that I reckon I can get that close to the fish but I just dunno if I would be able to hit anything further than 3 m! :)

Actually for a 1m it's:
3m of line*
1.4m of spear
1m of gun*
60+cm of arm

So the fish can be a good 6m from your body and ~4.5m from your muzzle.

*In reality these lengths are under, rather than overestimates. Close enough for government work and all that.

Originally posted by TG TG wrote:

One think that I read in the old forums was that some guys injected LAtex into their inflatable floats. Does this make them sorta solid. I am asking as the inflatables seems to be way cheaper than the solid ones. Are they OK or is it better just getting the non-inflatable ones?

The latex kind of seals the bouy if a small puncture happens. Won't do much for a rip though. Get a plastic float like a ronstan, a foam-filled like the RA solid, or if you want an inflatable, the South African ones have a solid outer that makes punctures less likely.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2009 at 4:05pm
TG View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Azazel, I think plastic is the way to go then.
TG

Page  <1234 126>