Advice for those starting out

Page  <1 122123124125126>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Swartie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 11:51am
Swartie View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

so some proper answers arrived before i replied. 

where did this happen by the way 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mullins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 11:53am
Mullins View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

In that case he was either clueless, a dick, or (most likely) a little bit of both.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BassTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 12:03pm
BassTech View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

north kawau channel...

he did have a float, but even that would have been impossible for his spotter to see for several minutes...

i understand that the diver can't see what's above him - unless he looks! - but we were in pretty close, and he was basically swimming directly up-current - so, given where he got in, and what little room he had, common sense would surely mean he knew he would get close to us sooner or later, and that he was in our trail...

so, there's a code of conduct on the nz spearfishing site http://www.spearfishingnz.co.nz/#!code-of-conduct/ck5x - would appear he was in breach of this...

i should mention that he pulled in 3 colossal kings! so, we didn't need to ask what was under our boat, and good on him... but somewhat like underarm blowing really... 

thankfully, we went on to hit quota and were putting mid 30cms snaps back in, so left with smiles... gonna pay more attention to taking some kingie gear next time though! "fish your feet" as the kingie experts seem to say

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mullins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 12:07pm
Mullins View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by BassTech BassTech wrote:

he pulled in 3 colossal kings!

Legal, but you'll be hard pressed to find anybody on here who thinks it's cool to shoot 3 kings.

Though a guy on SCUBA is a 'spearo' in that he has a speargun, he's unlikely to be part of the freediving spearo community that's published the code of conduct.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Swartie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 12:16pm
Swartie View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

it seems to be common with tank divers to take the limit, i guess they don't get out as much. 

a colleague went out diving with some mates, (scuba) and came back saying that they were out for 2 hours and came back with over 30 Crays. 

I asked why take so many crays? the answer was, they took their limit. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote S.H.A.G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 1:47pm
S.H.A.G View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Colossal Kingies round Kawau you say? where about where you exactly ;) round challenger i expect?

Sounds like a dick move to me. People need to start to respect the ocean and others who partake in it. Definitely (if you can) have them up about it as they drift past, hopefully they will learn something and think twice next time. Sounds very unsafe if you happened to be unaware he was there and decided to boat off quickly because another boat was cramping your style - could have hit the diver and did some damage to your prop on those tanks. Good on you for being aware and safe - 
Spearos Hunters And Gatherers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BassTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2015 at 2:25pm
BassTech View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Challenger on the south side, yeah? - this was north channel...

Words were definitely exchanged... several times... I believe a cast may have gone slightly astray at one point too.

I do of course have the name of the boat, and a good description. I'll see if anyone else witnesses the same behaviour in the coming weeks...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustcallmeDoris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2015 at 10:01pm
JustcallmeDoris View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'd be surprised if anyone on this forum used tanks while spearfishing...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote harrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2015 at 10:37pm
harrison View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I confess that I have knifed 2 flounder on tanks. Just coz I can. And they deserve it for lying around all the time.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Billy! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 3:51pm
Billy! View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

This would have been covered before but ive browsed back 20 pages and couldnt find much.

Im after a new wetsuit. Normally i'd ask the retailer but because they all stock and sell their own select brands I feel i'd get a biased answer.

All 5mm

Moray Revo $400
Moray Camo $300
Rob Allen Shadow Camo $350
Atlantis Vertex W50 $300

Any advice will go a long way.. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver9888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 6:48pm
Diver9888 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Billy! Billy! wrote:

This would have been covered before but ive browsed back 20 pages and couldnt find much.

Im after a new wetsuit. Normally i'd ask the retailer but because they all stock and sell their own select brands I feel i'd get a biased answer.

All 5mm

Moray Revo $400
Moray Camo $300
Rob Allen Shadow Camo $350
Atlantis Vertex W50 $300

Any advice will go a long way.. 

I made a spontaneous decision and got the Atlantis W50 on the first day of a course last year.  A great suit and I can't fault the warmth around 10 mtres - as warm as my Trident Stinger scuba suit which I used to use.  Still great condition after dozens of dives, however  I would like a knife pocket and elbow pads on my next wetsuit
Do it today because tomorrow has a habit of not turning out the way you want
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troy Tempest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 7:15pm
Troy Tempest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Try on as many as you can. Buy the one that fits best...
·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸¸·´¯'·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸ ><((((º>
.¸¸·´¯'·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸ ><((((º>

Just quietly getting on with it...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 12:23pm
Phantom Menace View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

^^^ What Troy said.  Try them on as the cut will vary between manufacturers.

Also - the Moray suits usually have knife pouches already fitted on the leg and arm so that can save some hassle / effort / $$.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote harrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 12:57pm
harrison View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Get a scupper!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote e.m.p! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 1:16pm
e.m.p! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

^ this. A pink one that is
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote harrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 1:37pm
harrison View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustcallmeDoris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 5:01pm
JustcallmeDoris View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'm due for a new suit too... My Cressi has done me proud, (3 years old) but is now pretty cold in spring/autumn.  

I'm tempted by the Moray - has ample knee and elbow protection and comes with pockets already.  My boy (14) has one... it does look a bit tougher to get out of, partly because of the knee pads and partly because its seams are super heavy duty.  

No matter what I buy, I'm definitely getting a scupper fitted this time!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pixie Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 6:06pm
Pixie Z View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Can't vouch for the others you're looking at, but I've got a 5mm Moray Revo & would definintely recommend. Even in 7 degree water down here in Dunedin I've been toasty as. The knife pockets already built in are great.

I dunno what diving you're mostly doing, but I mostly dive off the rocks, so having the extra knee & elbow protection (the extra bum padding is actually great when sitting & clambering over rocks too) is great.

& yes, the scupper was a great addition.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Philip van Zijl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 7:46pm
Philip van Zijl View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

[URL=http://www.noobspearo.com/the-vault-blog/iki-jime-how-to-stone-your-fish][/URL]
Never underestimate and old man with a spear gun ;)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Little Fishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 4:29pm
The Little Fishy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey I'm just starting out. I'm twelve years old and am really loving my few spear fishing experiences. I've shot a few Red Moki with my Hawaiian sling but there are just those lucky fish that manage to get away. Any suggestions for spearguns???
Page  <1 122123124125126>