modern outboards are modern?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: modern outboards are modern?
    Posted: 15 Feb 2004 at 6:04pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

you know you read and hear how new outboards - particularly four strokes - are sposed to be lighter and more powerful and are more fuel efficient than ever - well, they arent when you compare them to car or bike motors.

take for instance something like the Yamaha 150 4 stroke which has just come out - and compare it to say a new honda accord motor. both inline four layout, 2.4 litre displacement, twin cam and four valves per cylinder and so on - but one produces 200hp and operates at up to 9000rpm and the Yamaha is only 150hp @ 5500rpm. gay.

Its not as though Yamaha doesnt have the existing know-how or technology - Toyota often comes to them for high output parts on their engines - Toyota Altezza 2 litre engine -200hp - yamaha head.

Or look at bike motors - which dont last long - but then nether do boat motors. Suzuki Hayabuza bike - been around for a few years now but...1300cc and 180hp@14000rpm - their latest marine engine of same size puts out a mere 70hp@5500rpm. gay.

there shouldnt be any reason not to run motors faster and therefore get much improved outputs. and why is it only now that manufacturers - mercury - are going turbocharging/supercharging?? this offers massive increases in torque/power for very little increase in weight - and an unlimited supply of coolant - so why has it taken so long??

could be a business opportunity there - aftermarket parts for outboard motors - say a turbo kit which would offer a 50% output increase - slap one of those on a 225 4stroke...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lalandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2004 at 6:47pm
lalandi View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

BH... it could be that outboard engines are cleverly folded in half to fit inside the cowling... It could be that outboards have bad enough (comparitively speaking) fuel economy as it is... It could be that driving the wheels of a car is conciderably easier than a prop, meaning you are using a lot of horse power all the time on an outboard as opposed to only using hp when going up hill or accelerating in a car... It could be that outboards are not cheap anyway let alone adding pointless extras to give you an extra 5knots... it could be that outboards are marinised... It could be because at the end of the day the less to go wrong with an outboard the better... not many people get blown onto the rocks when there car engine fails... it could be none of the above because I am a fisherman not a mechanic  and really I dont know what I am talking about...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2004 at 7:08pm
Rainman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

BH wrote:"slap one of those on a 225 4stroke..."

or two even BH.....I have a couple of TD06 20Gs that would do the job nicely. Bit laggy but hey once they are on boost...Yeeehaaa

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2004 at 8:38pm
Titanium
Titanium

could be...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2004 at 8:40pm
Titanium
Titanium

sorry, this stuff should be in the boat shed - i must have a hole in my head
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2004 at 8:42pm
Titanium
Titanium

rainman - antilag programs are my friend
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Martini Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2004 at 9:47pm
Martini Max View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Could be that cars have several more gears than an outboard motor ay. Try running your Accord or Toymota motor at 5500rpm in 1st or 2nd gear all day. Or better,get your 200hp at 9000rpm with a single speed gearbox. How far did you get? Oh, down to the corner dairy ,just as the motor sh*te itself. gay.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2004 at 10:17pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bounty Hunter - as a few of the above replies have implied, outboards need torque right through the rev range (lack of gears, punching 1 or 2 tonnes of boat through waves etc) as well as horsepower. Imagine driving your boat if the torque required to keep it planing on a rough day only came on at 10,000 RPM etc. Reliable torque generally comes from cc's, and although super/turbo charging can also deliver it, you need to build stronger heavier versions of the small displacement engine to make it reliable whilst delivering the high outputs ie they usually cost more and are more complex, so why bother in potentially life threatening applications? One interesting point however is that most marine diesels are Turbo-charged, but this is for economy as well as power reasons. A properly turbo's diesel will generally deliver more power for less fuel due to the more efficient combustion when there is plenty of air being delivered under +ve pressure.

However, if you still want to play with Turbocharging, I have a nice clean Rajay and associated bits that has housings for 1600cc and 2000cc engines. Might have trouble squeezing it under the engine cover, but vrooom, vrooom!!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2004 at 6:03am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

all this to get to your favorite reef 90 seconds faster
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wefaknis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2004 at 7:40am
Wefaknis View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yamaha, Honda, certainly have the technology in there motox bikes, you should see what hp and tourqe they can get out of the lastest four strokes. Those 450 cc motors have ultra short stroke, 5 ti valves, and will rev forever and well as scaring the pants off the rider cause they are quick. They (the bikes)are hard to kick over, due to massive compression.

there lies the problem, they put rods throght the block, valves out the side of the head, valves have to be replaced after 50 hours use, cause they are buggered. Imagine doing that on the ol outboard (second morgage please).

My 2 cents

Wefaknis

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snapatak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2004 at 8:41am
Snapatak View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I'm sure if all the what if's above were useful they would have been in production by now and if not in production I'm sure the outboard racing boat teams would have tried and tested some of those ideas.

As Tagit says, it must have something to do with torque through the rev range and prop size and pitch. Also you wouldn't want your engine reving at 10000 rpm, by the time you got back from fishing the bloody motor would need a rebuild. But I'm only a fisherman, I wouldn't have a cue.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2004 at 9:08am
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i won't argue with the above comments. but want to add that inboards allow you to do all those things bounty hunter.

overseas, inboards are much more common then they are here, even in small boats. likely has to do with being freshwater and not needing to have a heat exchanger? but throw one of those screemer bike motors in a tinny, say under 5 meters, and have a tinker. if i were more mechanically inclined i would like to have a go at it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2004 at 11:12am
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that they operate on salt water, not on the road.

Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2004 at 3:18pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

why cant we have a second gear in our Outboards????????

once up on the plane why is it not possable to change up a gear to lower the revs and save gas???????

they change the pitch on Hellcopter blades why not outboards props?????? 

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2004 at 3:33pm
The Dog View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My first thought on why all the bells arent added  is RELIABILITY,as Lalandi said you cant walk home from a breakdown ,i would also think "cost of manufacter" may play a part.And a big factor i think would be the type of tune required to suit the loading using the engine on the water,as Tagit says the torque and horse power curves required for use on a boat would be way different to a car.................................Lethal i think a second gear would create weight problems and also the stress to mounting points would be well increased if you had gear changes..I would say they(boat engine manufacters) all have a load of technology thats ready to use just gotta wait for it to become cost effective and for the market to require it(demand).Note early honda 90horse is same engine as 1990-1997 accord but has different torque and horsepower curves but same identical engine........And early 40horse is a civic engine.....HONDAS ARE NICE NICE NICE........ 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2004 at 4:18pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

http://boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/Engines/Engines.asp?ID=117579 Lethal - ZF in Aussie have started producing a 2 speed marine gearbox for inboard applications. Most of the write-ups I have seen are quite positive about it, so maybe one day the technology will get to outboards also.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Martini Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2004 at 5:23pm
Platinum
Platinum

I think Mercury are working(or have worked) on a system for their stern drives that does lter thepitch on the prop. blades so revs can be lowered once on the plane. Don't know how this has, or is being, progressed.Was interesting tho. Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Martini Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2004 at 5:45pm
Platinum
Platinum

I think Mercury are working(or have worked) on a system for their stern drives that does alter the pitch on the prop blades so revs can be lowered once on the plane. Don't know how this has, or is being, progressed.Was interesting tho. Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Martini Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2004 at 5:49pm
Platinum
Platinum

OOOPPPsss
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2004 at 7:08pm
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

too many martinis today max? how the mercs fishing?
Page  12>