213kg marlin speard by Nick

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote assassin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 213kg marlin speard by Nick
    Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 2:55pm
assassin View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

On the weekend just been,  i was invited to take part of the Grumpys game fishing comp aboard ASSASSIN .
On sat we had spotted a few tailers but weren't interresetd in any thing so i got told that the next one we spotted I could have a crack at.
This is the resultSmile
It took just over 2 hours to land with four spear guns. Dead
It was a 213 blue marlin.
No one in NZ has speared a blue before.

by Nick Dobbyn

Some of you know Nick, a very unasuming 18 year old .
As Nick said on Friday Pete aboard Azerack  had lots of tailing marlin not interested in feeding.
So we decided to move after broadbill drift, one broken rod and some gemfish aboard Assassin.
The water was was flat as it gets so sighting a tailer was not hard.
The first must have see our lures as it accelerated up to them as we past, not to be seen again.
Right lets get right into them .
The boys set up the floats and lines . Just as they were getting organised out look out Michelle spotted a fish . I turned Assassin around .to follow it.
Nick was on the side of the cockpit in boardies, fins  and the speargun at the ready. As we came to a stop I gave Nick the go ahead so he dove in the water and swam hard to the fish.
The Marlin must have heard the splash and circled  around behind him. Nick stopped and looked around and the marlin  came in all lit up, then turned away. Nick swam hard and fired , not sure if he had hit home or not. Then his float line started whistling past . As he hit the surface he sait "yip I got it."
The floats shot past at incredible speed , this took about 20 seconds!!! Then the big swim after float with the second gun that our son Mark, Nicks friend  as support.
Nick had told us that striped marlin stay on the surface  and aren't aggresive.
This fish didn't stay on the surface, as Nick worked his way down his float line with his second gun, the marlin turned on him. This is disconserting . After he finally got the second spear on a 20 metre float  into the marlin , the fish took both floats and Nick down several times. Nick worked his way down with the 3rd gun that Mark had got for him  having trouble with the fish coming at them. At one stage Mark though the marlin was going to eat him as it was charging at him within a metre!!! . Mark was gutted that his underwater camera he got for his 21st last October had died and was sent back to the repairers. Angry
After and hour and a half the fish was slowing down but still spnt most of the time circling the boys. When Nick got the 4th spear into it, it really slowed down so Nick manouvered it to the boat and with it's head out of the water a sucker fish leapt off, this must have been when the marlin passed away.
We got hold of the bill and pulled it through the door and onto the boat. This was a difficult excerise what with Nicks legs and arms like jelly, and four spears at all different angles we got it aboard.
Then the celebrations begun!!!!!

by Brett

More pix to com

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spearo_steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 3:02pm
spearo_steve View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Kick-ass! That's a massive effort in boardshorts no less. Well done!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mullins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 3:09pm
Mullins View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Elpescador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 3:11pm
Elpescador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Clapwelldone nick , brett and crew senfreakinsational!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote assassin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 3:13pm
assassin View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Brett forgot to mention that he speared the fish in the shorts but Mark took him the wetsuit and all tho it was a struggle he managed to get it on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 3:14pm
TG View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Geeze, that thing is big. WOW.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LEVCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 3:19pm
LEVCAT View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

that's insane...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote redfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 3:27pm
redfox View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

m.e.a.n.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 4:57pm
Kezza 1 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

****ing mint

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CRAYMOUNTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 4:58pm
CRAYMOUNTS View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

well done son i hope i see a tailer me self soon good effort
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CRAYMOUNTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 4:59pm
CRAYMOUNTS View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

how far out of barrier you guys see the tailers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote K Dogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 5:04pm
K Dogg View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

congrats!!  fish of a lifetime
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kuuni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 5:08pm
kuuni View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

That poor sea kitten

Good stuff
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheSnapperWhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 6:58pm
TheSnapperWhisperer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That'll be hard for him to beat!

Wicked stuff lads, good to se ethey gave it a go and won. 
http://www.facebook.com/TheSnapperWhisperer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Diver Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 9:23pm
Diver Dan View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What a fish! PM me if you are claiming it for a NZ record - I can send you the application stuff.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 9:55pm
brown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

too meke fullas....awesomeThumbs%20Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JigNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 10:24pm
JigNut View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thats pretty impressive...
 Are you sure that fish is dead...It looks like it wants revengeLOL...Looking at you guys like thatWink
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fans-Of-Synit-Rods/137662896327800
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KeriBOI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2009 at 6:15am
KeriBOI View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

in the herald today, accoarding to a spearo its only medium sizeĀ Shocked
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2009 at 7:20am
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Big brass ones that boy ApproveThumbs%20Up

Too much , well done Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Donald Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2009 at 7:25am
Donald Duck View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My first time posting in "Spearos".
What I know about spear fishing you could write on a blade of grass with a crayon.
I don't even think I've ever seen a speargun in real life! (sad but true people, sorry)

BUT even I find this story one hell of an achievement. Well done that team!Clap

As for a 213kg blue marlin being "average size"... this is a reporter making up words to fill a space. They all do it you know.
Page  12>