Back to basic - Fishing Line/Reel

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doubie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2009 at 11:14pm
Doubie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What are do you live in F!shnatic? Somewhere near Whangaparaoa maybe it appears....I can possibly point you in the right direction for tackle shops and they can probably help with basic knots and rigs if you ask nicelyWink
You never know, I might bump into you at the beach/rocks sometime
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote f!shnatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2009 at 9:25pm
f!shnatic View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I was at red beach in the weekend, cast off the rocks@ Jacobs ladder. It was great. I had trouble putting my swivel on but it worked out ok in the end. It just looks a bit weird but i can still fish. Didn't catch anything though. But i'm quite proud of myself coz i managed to fish! Haha.  Although i had to call for help after my 1st cast b'coz my line got tangle up. A friendly guy helped me n pull a chunk of my line out so i can fish again.

Yeah we might bump into each other. Now i'm venturing out, hoping to fish again soon somewhere.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doubie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2009 at 10:50pm
Doubie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

well there you go - you are now 'out there and doing it' Thumbs%20Up

Shame the fish didn't come out to play though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote f!shnatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2009 at 9:39pm
f!shnatic View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

i bought myself a book as well in the weekend so i can learn some last min tip. My gorsh, talking about desperate! So i thought i have done well eventhough i didn't catch anything ;op The book is called "Knots, Rigs & Baits - A Kiwi Guide" by Kitteridge M. Highly recommend this for newbies like me. I'm going to head down to the library this weekend n hopefully i can borrow some more books. Then again, i'm more of a practical/visual learner.
I'd prefer fishing n learning on the spots from people or by watching DVDs! Anyway, im off fishing again this weekend with my friend so hopefully she can teach me something new!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doubie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2009 at 10:29pm
Doubie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well done F!shnatic - you are taking this very seiously!

Mark Kitteridge is a top bloke and very experienced fisherman - you will gain lots from anything he has writtenThumbs%20Up He is certainly on some of Geoff Thomas' early DVD's on fishing. You can hire these from the library (Waitakere City anyway) for $2.00

Good luck and hope your friend can teach you something as well

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote f!shnatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2009 at 10:07pm
f!shnatic View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

yeah, im taking it seriously now while i can. I'm scared i'll lose interest but i doubt it! I just nd to practise more. Haha. I borrowed more fishing books from the library yesterday. I'll enjoy looking at pics even if i don't go fishing ;).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doubie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2009 at 10:12pm
Doubie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thats the spirit - have fun and learn plenty. Nothing like getting out there to gain some experience thoughWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LEVCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2009 at 10:55pm
LEVCAT View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

your onto something good with that red beach thing mate...

wait for a high tide around 10-11 and do some night fishing, but before at low tide go and smash up shellfish (kina, mussels, pipis etc) on the sand to where you'll be casting... and wait for high tide and cast on top of them the fish should be hanging around.
use recurve hooks as they're easy when night fishing and the fish will hook it's self, and be sure to bring a torch but don't shine it in the water...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Monty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2009 at 7:23pm
Monty View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Go & talk to the fullas in walkabout, best info you can get, ask any questions, even if you think they are silly, we were all there once, good luck for the future fishing expeds.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote f!shnatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2009 at 3:33pm
f!shnatic View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

thanks guys! I picked quite a bit of mussels at red beach at low tide. Will go back there some day..

I've been checking out other places to fish nw. Yesterday i went to a wharf at the air force base, hobsonville. It was great but we didn't catch anything! Great tide, lotsa bites from the fishies but just not getting hooked. There were two other guys that caught some fish (small ones). They were using smaller hooks though. I didn't intend to catch small fish, so i hang on to my no.6 hooks. Bait was pillys & squids...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doubie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2009 at 3:44pm
Doubie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mmmm mussels. I wouldn't be sure whether to eat them or use them as bait...LOL

Well done on getting out there - shame about teh fishing but I think yesterday was hard work from the shore as the wind seemed to be everywhereDisapprove

When you say a size 6 hook, do you mean a 6/0? If so that is a good sized hook and will certainly help to stop smaller fish from swallowing the hook.Thumbs%20Up

I would say that a lot of people would use smaller hooks than that for upper harbour shallow water fishing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote f!shnatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2009 at 10:22pm
f!shnatic View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

yeah, 6/0 ;) Our intention wasn't to catch small fish that's y we were using 6/0. It was windy indeed but suit me well. I like the wind and thank God it wasn't that sunny!  I realized that my friend cut of her line b4 we left whereas i just left the whole lot (line/sinker/hook) as it is.

Is it better to cut the line everytime you finished fishing? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doubie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2009 at 10:33pm
Doubie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I don't cut anything but use knots and snap swivels that allow me to remove all my terminal tackle (hook, sinkers, swivels etc). Its important to not have sinkers banging against the rod as they will damage it over time and to have the drag released on the reel to stop the drag washers from becoming compressed - this is hard to do with tackle attached.

Definitely windy although we had the sun most of the day - not so good for fishing Cry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote f!shnatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2009 at 8:36pm
f!shnatic View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Right, will do that. I think i need to redo my swivels. You won't believe what a dumb thing i did! lol. I tied the swivels using the same line through. How should i explain this? Complicated!! Is there a way to upload a photo? Haha..i figured what i did was silly but i got lazy n left it as it is and contd' fishing.  I will redo the swivel again. LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doubie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2009 at 9:09pm
Doubie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good idea Lamp
I think that photo uploading has been problematic I hear...give it a try though if you like.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote f!shnatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2009 at 10:35pm
f!shnatic View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

i don't even know where to upload. Anyway..got it sorted..hehe
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote one leg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2009 at 11:20am
one leg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wellcome to the fourm Linda  sounds like your've been out there doing it ,good on you .the swivel is just there to stop line twist it's ok to use the same line as your main ,you dont have to remove your tackel from the line just beware if it is a heavey sinker it my bash around ''for a bit more fishing info there is a search menu top of page try useing that ,good luck with your fishing Thumbs%20Up
woman who say they are equal to men ,show lack of Ambition .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote f!shnatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2009 at 9:13pm
f!shnatic View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

thx' One Leg. Yeah, im just trying to put my passion into action. So far i just have no luck catching fish off the rocks/wharf! Looking at chartering a boat again with some friends. Guess u just can't go wrong when u're out in the ocean ;).

I didn't know it was OK to use the same line on the swivel. Thx! I probably just didn't put a proper knot on it. Will redo it soon when i'm out fishing again ;)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doubie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2009 at 9:40pm
Doubie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Let me know if you have a spare spot on the boat F!shnatic. Been too long since I was out on the water as wellCry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2009 at 11:53pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Hi Fishnatic.... it all takes time to catch fish...you need to stay with a spot till it works. Of course it has to be a spot where fish are. A mate and I tried for 3 summers to get a kingfish, but looking back we didnt really try hard enough. Keep asking questions and you'll learn a lot form this site. The more you surround yourself with fishing the better you will understand it!

Good luck!
Page  <123>