Bradley Smoked Applecores

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bradley Smoked Applecores
    Posted: 31 Dec 2008 at 3:46pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

1) Get Ski to catch and butcher a bunch of westcoast alberts

2) Ski arrives at my place with a bottle of Jim Beam (most important stage this one)

3) Rub Bradley's Sugar Cure on to chunks

4) refrigerate for 24hours

5) rinse chunks in fresh water, lay out on racks, pat dry with paper towels

6) load Bradley

7) set oven temp at 60-70c for one hour to dry off surface from excess moisture

8) sprinkle then rub brown sugar in to chunks

9) bring temp up to 95c with Alder Wood smoke for one hour

10) reduce temp to 65c for 4 hours and continue to smoke

11) go out spend the rest of the day with family

12) get back tot he smoker some 6 hours later

12) eat as is and drink the Jim Beam!!....very very tasty this one...no Albacore is safe ever again!

Happy new years peeps!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2008 at 3:55pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

MODs - please delete this one...not sure what happened with the double post auws
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JigNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2008 at 4:35pm
JigNut View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I second that KezzaLOL Looks like crapWink.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fans-Of-Synit-Rods/137662896327800
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2008 at 5:03pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

it certainly will in about 10 or so hours with a side order of Jim Beam hard!....mite need to borrow your outhouse bay!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JigNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2008 at 5:12pm
JigNut View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kezza Kezza wrote:

it certainly will in about 10 or so hours with a side order of Jim Beam hard!....mite need to borrow your outhouse bay!!!
I hear ya KezLOL..Nothing like a skin full off JIMThumbs%20Up...Happy new Year Cuz...See ya on a rail sometime ayeWink.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fans-Of-Synit-Rods/137662896327800
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rumblefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2008 at 5:16pm
Rumblefish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

you too are a simple man easily pleased on ya mate good post hap new year
ssssh ,act straight here comes Frank   -kq
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GAMFSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2008 at 6:32pm
GAMFSH View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Kezza, mate you are making it sound to easyLOL, what was the final taste like?
Thanks for everything this year and have a great New Year and best wishes to the familyThumbs%20Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote biggear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2009 at 9:17am
biggear View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That looks mint kezza. Gonna have to send the missus over to decoro to get us a bradley auw!
Dont let the grey hair fool you!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ski  da mofo!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2009 at 9:35am
ski da mofo!! View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

yep gotta hand it to ya kezz ive had albys befor and theyve been dry and salty but ya nailed it bro,sweet on the outside and moist like tender chicken thighs on the inside mmmmmm
BIG FISH IS WHERE ITS AT
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ski  da mofo!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2009 at 9:42am
ski da mofo!! View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

and heres what part 1 looks like

BIG FISH IS WHERE ITS AT
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2009 at 2:50pm
Bull View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You boys tried a true cold smoke yet? Raising internal temp of fish to around 70c cooks the fish so is technically a loooooong hotsmoke. Which I have had a couple of cracks at so far with my bradley (and it produces an awesome result). But I am waiting for my first kingie of the season to do a cold smoke of no heat only smoke for 8 to 12 hours.

Wondering if any of you had done this? And whether you put ice cubes in bowl to keep temp down in smoker etc etc... Just after some basic troubleshooting so I don't stuff up a whole king in the smoker.
http://www.squidfish.net/

�.��.���'�.�����'�.��.���'�.� ><((((�>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GAMFSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2009 at 3:18pm
GAMFSH View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Bull, there are a couple of things you need to know, if you want to do a true cold smoke, you have to cure the fish first which can take a few days, but remember a true cold smoke does not cook so at any point the meat has to be cooked whether it at low temp or not, it is like making bacon, you can cure it and preserve it with cold smoking but it is still raw, at some point it still needs to be cooked, in order to get a good cold smoke out of your bradley, don't put the oven element on and only the generator, put the unit in the shade, don't put ice in it as it melts it can do damage if it leaks, the temp should only be 40-50C, now if you want a true cold smoke i have on the water an adapter that you can put the generator into and it has a long expandable pipe that plugs into the main oven, i have been working with this over the last week and it works perfectly, so if you can hold off smoking a kingie for a few weeks them there will be a true solution available, i hope this helps with your questions, pm if you need any more info, mark
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GAMFSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2009 at 3:25pm
GAMFSH View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Guys here's a picture of what is coming, this adpter is a true cold smoke, it works on both digital and manual smokers, yes kezza there is one put aside for youThumbs%20Up

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2009 at 10:48am
Bull View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've had a look at the bradley forums and got a couple of recipies for cold smoked salmon. One of them you do a dry cure to draw the moisture out and a wet cure to add the flavour before you even smoke.

Also getting some curing salts so I can do cold smoked meats which are a raw product. Did my own procuitto last year and managed to not kill anyone with botulism! Next time however I will be happier with the curing salts which kill the bot! Curing salts contain nitrates and nitrites... never remember which way but one is for air dried cured meats and one is for cooked (internal temp above 71c) cured meats like smoked salamis.

Disclaimer both Botulism and Nitrates can kill... So if anyone gets any fancy ideas... do some research!

Me i'm purely theoretical at this stage... looking forward to making it a hell of a lot more practical over next while, hopefully without killing anyone (particularly me) in the process.

GAMFSH thanks for your reply, not sure I'll get one of those attachments just yet!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2009 at 1:14pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers Ski for the props mate......let me know if you ever want more done.....pretty simple process.....

Awesome Mark....look forward to giving the adapter a whirl.....really looks the bee-knees and ideal for cheeses I'd say!!.....also hoping to find some time to get some blue-marlin salamis on the go over the next few days....Thumbs%20Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GAMFSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2009 at 1:48pm
GAMFSH View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Bull if you get time, try the Bradley cures they cure the meat the same way, there is a full range of recipes available for curing, pm me you email and i will email you curing recipes to look at if that helpsThumbs%20Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2009 at 1:20pm
Bull View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

GAMFSH had a look at one of the bradley cures and they didn't mention anything about nitrates, given that nitrates can kill I would have thought a north american product would have disclaimers all over the sucker. So given that the cures I guess are just sugar, salt and flavouring? PM sent always keen to get more info.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2009 at 1:50pm
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

Kezz, inerested in the attachments you've used to mount the bradley onto a wall and how you got the tuna to stick to vertical shelving?

Seriously, that looks mint (he says sitting in the deck at omaha, cold steinie in hand, with a fat trev in the bendlerly smoker).
Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2009 at 2:14pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

faaaarck it's hot and I'm parched as!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2009 at 2:42pm
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Kezza, meet you at Benders in 45. Lets eat his fish, drink his beer and steal his fishing tackle 
I would rather laugh with the Sinners, than cry with the Saints
Page  12>