hutt river vs wainuiomata river

Page  <1 1617181920>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sheedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 8:05am
Sheedy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Popped down last evening despite rough weather (didn't see any other anglers). Resorted to a sinking line and wet flies to get some distance in the wind. 2-3 very nice followers showed interest in a Mrs Simpson and I caught and released a 1.5lber trying a Yellow Rabbit. Looking forward to few still summer evenings........
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Furstimer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 1:18pm
Furstimer View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

anyone with luck on the hutt river lately? I've been spinning around without success.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote michael29973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 7:41pm
michael29973 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

not really look at the state of it thats why i would recomend heading over the hill to the ruamahanga thats been fishing pretty good at the moment.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 9:05pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Got a few last week, Avalon area, saw plenty. Waters low and fish were spooky, fish appear in good nick at present.
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote michael29973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 9:16pm
Gold
Gold

how were you fishing it andrew?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Te Awa Kairangi Angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 9:50pm
Te Awa Kairangi Angler View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Furstimer Furstimer wrote:

anyone with luck on the hutt river lately? I've been spinning around without success.
Got a 5lb jack two days ago. Not good order. The smaller fish seem to be doing better. As Andrew says, they're easy to spot. Despite all the abuse, there are some quite good mayfly hatches from around 2:00. If you can find the biggest and deepest pools, there's bound to be fish there. With lots of swimmers in the lower river, some fish are being pushed in to faster running side margins. Look out for those fast, narrow runs where they wouldn't normally be.

Am taking Michael's advice and heading to the Ruamahunga tomorrow evening,

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote luderick -angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 11:19pm
luderick -angler View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Off to the ruamahanga early doors tomorrow so hopefully I have not put all the fish down for you Tim!!!!!!! Although will beat the river to a froth!!!!!!!

andrew you going to be about town next Friday? I owe you a beer!!!!
I support any team thats playing against the Aussies in any sport!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Te Awa Kairangi Angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 8:46am
Silver
Silver

Have a great day Royce. We're only going later hoping to find fish going nuts during massive hatches. Well, that's the plan anyway,
If there are other anglers there, nude swimming normally clears the river. In fact both of us frolicking around has been known to clear the entire catchment!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Slab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 10:07am
Slab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Lets us know how you go Royce... had an epic day on the Rua and tribs on Friday.... 20 plus landed (only 4 junior rainbows the rest browns), and some good ones like this puppy.

4 weight rod and size 20 drys, just amazing sight fishing.... it was on like donkey kong... the Wairarapa is firing in these low conditions, spooky fish but co-operative once you get a shot away.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shut up and fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 11:05am
Shut up and fish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

nice stuff slab
Gidday Mate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sheedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 2:30pm
Sheedy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Landed and released a 5lber in the Wainui on Sat morn - so far this season the fish I have landed there have been in average condition only i.e. not fat and not putting up much of a fight given their size.  Those Wairarapa photos look great Slab - wish the master and commander gave me a greater time allocation so I could get over there................... 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote michael29973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 3:02pm
Gold
Gold

Sounds like a heap of fun slab and some nice fish!.I will have to get back over there shortly.Nice wainui brown sheedy i havnt been down the wainui much this season i must get down there!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Te Awa Kairangi Angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 3:41pm
Silver
Silver

"Landed and released a 5lber in the Wainui on Sat morn - so far this season the fish I have landed there have been in average condition only i.e. not fat and not putting up much of a fight given their size.  Those Wairarapa photos look great Slab - wish the master and commander gave me a greater time allocation so I could get over there................... "

Was that one going back or a keeper?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shut up and fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 3:42pm
Shut up and fish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

every one is getting out good to see nice work on that fish sheedy
Gidday Mate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheBadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 4:20pm
TheBadger View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm with you Tim, but I know I've been guilty of the same crime in the past (on the same river too). Sheedy - if you're going to release fish then ideally you shouldn't put them on the bank. It can be quite damaging to their protective 'slime'. 
'Badger on the other hand, he's basically a bum'
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Te Awa Kairangi Angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 4:43pm
Silver
Silver

Well, I didn't want to point the finger so much as to know what was in the fish. Keeping a fish is fine by me,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sheedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 5:35pm
Sheedy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the advice Badger.

I released the trout - it swam away strongly after a 10 second breather. I rarely keep fish these days but did keep a Wainui brown a month or go - it was full of horned caddis I think (the long skinny shell jobs) and nothing else. Small drys work best for me on the Wainui - have tried caddis nymphs but no joy.

Keen to see more photos on the site when people land some nice ones - I was looking at page 2 on the site from the chap who caught 5 5lb plus fish in one seesion on the Wainui - those fish were in prime condition - I wonder what's changed this year

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TheBadger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 5:53pm
TheBadger View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey mate, check out the thread 'Photos from the 2010/2011 season' if you wanna see some photos. Else my blog has heaps up.

Those fish that I caught a couple of seasons ago were all in very nice condition, bar one of them which was a bit skinny. I don't really fish the Wainui these days. It gets too much pressure and I don't particularly want to add to it. Last season I went once and caught 3 good fish - that was enough for me for the season. I think if more people adopted that attitude it'd be a much better fishery.

All good bout releasing the fish - I had to be told myself. Just something to think about for the future.
'Badger on the other hand, he's basically a bum'
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sheedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 10:07am
Sheedy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

After having no time for a fish since pre x-mas and not knowing when I can next slip out I decided to have a crack on the Wainui last night despite a howling gale and a bit of rain  Conditions were too tough for my abilities on anything other than a sinking line and wet flys which I could still get some distance with and reasonable accurancy. Managed to land the attached on an olive woolly bugger style wet with a hot spot beadhead and a bit of red attractor in the tail (can just be seen in the trouts mouth). Weighed just under 6lb - broad across the shoulders but again in average condition and a lazy fighter for its size. I didn't completely ignore your advice Badger - I placed the fish on some wet grass for the photo before releasing (couldn't do any better with a camera phone, fishing alone and landing it from a deep pool). Spotted a number of other good fish - in general conditioning appears to be deteriorating as summer progresses - not sure the Cicada season really hits the Wainui but the fish there are in need a good feed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sheedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 1:28pm
Sheedy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Had a quick fish in bright sunshine on Sat. Hooked a c3lber on a cicada - struck to early and lost it. Had a large speciman drift downstream past me a little later whilst changing flies - thought I was sitting 10m up from a 7lb whopper - long, golden with very large spots. Hooked it on a dropper after a good fight netted (and released) it and was surprised it only weighed in at 5lb. Picture below shows conditioning not great - it appears that the fish in the Wainui are stuggling for food - hopefully the cicada season will change that. Has anyone landed anything over 6lb lately?
Page  <1 1617181920>