Keeping bait on wormhooks?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote _macca__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keeping bait on wormhooks?
    Posted: 02 Dec 2008 at 6:49pm
_macca__ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi

I am starting to move towards worm hooks instead of keeper hooks (Synit or Nitro ones) with fluting on them to hold the softbait on.

Problem is that keeping a bait on a worm hook is challenging.

I know how to rig them but after 1 bite I find its often slid down the hook so the presentation is bad.

Is this normal???  Or do most people find they can keep the bait on pretty well with normal wormies?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2008 at 6:55pm
Carbine View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2008 at 9:39pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Never really have much of an issue with them slipping but once in ever 8 to 10 drops they usually need a bit of attention and repositioning. Nothing I cant live with. 
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote betterthanwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2008 at 10:12pm
betterthanwork View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

There are a couple of wormies I use which hold on better. VMC make a 4/0 with a barb on the shank which certainly makes it hold on better. Go Fish sell nice Owner Hooks with a spiral of wire attached to the eye which is screwed into the bait and these also hold well and present the bait straight. If the bait starts to get munted at the end then when I am feeling cheap I have some tiny electrical ties and use these to hold the bait on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2008 at 10:47pm
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by JK JK wrote:

Never really have much of an issue with them slipping but once in ever 8 to 10 drops they usually need a bit of attention and repositioning. Nothing I cant live with. 
im with u not to much of hassle think there is a post some ware about useing wire
http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote _macca__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2008 at 11:31pm
_macca__ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by JK JK wrote:

8-10 drops JK.  Must be 7-9 drops without a bite!!

I know its not a huge issue but I do find that once its been hit by a fish its at least 50-50 to have slipped into a bad position on the hook. 

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2008 at 7:26am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Yeah well sometimes it is a bit slow. Come to think of it - I hardly ever have to reposition the softbait. It's usually fine unless for some stupid reason Ive hooked up to fight and then dropped the fish.

If you are getting bites and not hooking up then thats another issue mate!
Hardly ever get a hit without a hookup when using softbaits.....
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mahiman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2008 at 7:50am
Mahiman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I have been using this method
http://www.softbaitcity.co.nz/rigging-tips.php

Works good for me.