The Best Brine For Smoking

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makoman350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Best Brine For Smoking
    Posted: 29 Nov 2008 at 10:23pm
makoman350 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi All, any suggestions of a good Brine for smoking fish ????
Mount it once Mount it right
www.facebook.com/#!/pages/ART-of-FISH-Marine-Taxidermy/232098110191788
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2008 at 7:35am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by makoman350 makoman350 wrote:

Hi All, any suggestions of a good Brine for smoking fish ????

Hot or cold smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MR D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2008 at 9:08am
MR D View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

this is what I use
1/2 cup sugar (white or brown)
1/2 sea salt NON-iodized
1 l water

Adjust the quantities to suit the amount of fish you have just keep the proportions the same.
I leave it over night in the brine in the fridge then rinse it off then pop the fish back in the fridge on some old tea towels to dry off and develop a tackie skin. then its into my smoker. Sometimes I add some maple syrup and lemon pepper just before placing it the smoker. My smoker is a little chief and usually takes about 5 hrs for a batch of fish. Its neither a hot or cold smoker but someware in between.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2008 at 3:05pm
Wizard View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

1 1/2 C Brown Sugar
1 C NON-iodized salt
5 L water
1 t Thyme

Dissolve in 500ml boiling water, add the dry thyme, add the rest of the cold water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2008 at 9:28pm
rocko View Drop Down

same as wizards.... allso add  between half and a cup of soy sauce with a table spoon of Worcester sauce ( cut back the cold water to compensate ) be sure to soak for at least 4hours...over night is better.. then leave to surface dry,,or pat the fish dry with paper towel to remove excess moisture...light garnish with sprinkle of parsley flakes finishes off nicely

fish will turn a nice golden colour/puff up and remain juicy and tender...
 fish pictured is snapper and gurnard  manuka smoked over very mild heat for aprox 4 1/2hours

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2008 at 10:55pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

ever tried it with nothing... fish taste even better.......

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote biggear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2008 at 6:31am
biggear View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Our brine is the4 same, but lately we have been adding a little golden syrup and chilli sauce just before we put it in.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2012 at 10:14pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Lethal Lethal wrote:

Done several like this on my Box Brownee on the bbq with the burners on low with kingis flap/wing and backbones and Kahawai and 15 - 20 min smoke Cool

But I have two big arse kahawai to smoke so I must try the brine recipe.Big smile

Or are there some new brines and recipes to learn?Thumbs Up

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2012 at 10:17pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by Lethal Lethal wrote:

Yup, 4 kingfish wings smoked in the hot smoker this arvo, just like that.

Wonderful.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2012 at 10:25pm
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

the smoke i did today is 1/2 cup brown sugard, 1/2 cup salt, tablespoon malt vinegar and bit of sweet chilli with about 4 cups water. brine for 4 hours then smoke
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2012 at 10:46pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Yesterday, I purchased, yes, purchased some salmon from the supermarket to test the new smoke generator that I'd attached to the old Brinkman.
First time I've spent $'s on fish in a while but it had to be done.

The slab on the left was smothered with sea salt & brown sugar & left in the fridge.
The slab on the right  was put into a brine mix, sea salt/water & left to soak for a couple of hours.
In both cases, I used a fork to "stab" holes in the flesh first.

Next step was to drain both samples, then I placed them in front of an oscillating fan for a couple of hours.
That dried them nicely & made the flesh just right for smoking.

I fired up the smoke machine for an hour, then added the bowl of hot charcoal for another couple of hours.
Then came the taste test...
Aunty couldn't tell the difference but said both were "nice"

So much for going to all the trouble.Shocked
Next time, I'll add some chilli sauce to one or t'other~~that should help to differentiateLOL 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2012 at 10:57pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Dont be mean to Auntie....

I've often wondered about some smoke recipes, just how much the taste varies with the different mixtures.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote No Fear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 9:04am
No Fear View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

smoking brine,,well this is what i do,bear with me,,,
--------------Wink---top secret-------------
two kgs of bacon brine from butcher,yes bacon brine desolved in hot water
1 pkt of lemon pepper, little box
2 sliced lemons
couple bay leaves
few pepper corns
1 cup sea salt,flaked
 1 cup brown suger
1/2 fill chilly bin with cold water and ice packs,

then i fillet fish and soak fillets over night up to 24 hrs ,drain then air dry and before i put in smoke house i spinkle a mix of brown suger,lemon pepper,black pepper and sea salt on them and the finale one is to trickle maple syurp over them ,and into smoke house,i normally do a cold smoke over night then a bit of heat in it to the end,or i just hot smoke it ,eather way works well.depends on ya time frame.Wink
if u try this, the fish come out of brine slightly red in colour,dont wory,its fine,
and people have told me that its pritty close to prefect,,,,enjoy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 10:16am
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I reckon the simple sugar/salt brine is the best. Type of woodsmoke is something more to concentrate on and letting the fillets form that sticky pellicle by drying them out properly like Uncle did.  Flavour can be easily adjusted after.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Seasider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 10:45am
Seasider View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We use this for all our fish from snaps to marlin, Rub rock salt and brown sugar into fish leave to stand for 1 hour then a very quick rinse off in fish bin of sea water, leave to dry for a hour then into smoker.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unclejake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 5:05pm
Unclejake View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Uncle Uncle wrote:

Then came the taste test...
Aunty couldn't tell the difference but said both were "nice"

So much for going to all the trouble.Shocked

This is my experience too, except that the fish is noticabley drier and slighty smokier when brined.

I like my fish moist so I don't brine anymore. The fact that it is way quicker and slightly cheaper not to brine is just a bonus.

My smoker is a traditional, wood fired, warm one. 3 & 1/2 hours would be an average smoke time.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 5:55pm
Moggy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

what ever you use, use double the sugar to the salt. Salt should be sea salt, sugar brown

If you like salt then by all means equal quantities – I find most people no longer like real salty food.

add in cup of good dark rum or vodka if your so inclined.
add in some all spice berries
add in some juniper berries crushed

place in plastic sealable container
leave in fridge - fish 24 hours pork 5 to 7 days depending on size.
Remove liquid leave to dry in fridge for 1 day - on rack is best
smoke

Brilliant - do my hams this way ever year, never failed.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it!
FISH FIGHT The Peoples Protest
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 5:57pm
Moggy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I like my fish moist so I don't brine anymore.

[/QUOTE]

Cut the salt back and it won’t dry out, brining can add flavour for sure, depends on what else you add.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it!
FISH FIGHT The Peoples Protest
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 9:03pm
Bruce View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I'm with Lethal on this one. I cant get my head around why you have to put fish in brine prior to smoking especially if you are using fresh water.
I usually prep my fish at sea. I cut them to smoke, sprinkle a generous amount of sea salt on them (surprising how much you can put on without them being salty) and leave them until I am ready to smoke them, sometimes up to 4-5 days in the chiller. Prior to smoking I rub them down with a paper towel and then sprinkle with my condiments and a bit more salt.
I think that the fact that the only contact with water they have is sea water and not fresh makes a difference but that only my opinion and I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong.
Dont be frightened to try different techniques/recipes etc, the results can be very satisfying and if you get it wrong then give the fish to someone you dont like and they will love you anyway  lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brooook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 9:24pm
Brooook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I was given a tip - rub salt into the fillets then hang on the clothes line overnight to drip dry. Flies won't touch it with the salt so no worries there. Smoke the next day. I did this and it was delicious.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.............Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer,
Page  12>