Heavy Metal 2008

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sid fishus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heavy Metal 2008
    Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 9:55pm
sid fishus View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sid fishus, Chris Wong, The Rod Baron, Chopsticks, Jigger Monster, Ray from Fishing Safaris all gathered in Whakatane on Sunday night.

Loaded all the gear by the end of this enchanter was bristling top jigging gear! A forest of rods from the holders and piles of belts, pliers, jig bags and paraphernalia. Down the club for a quick bite and onboard for a roundtable. Weather was looking pretty gnarly for the Monday so off to White for the night to fish it in the morning.

Arrived at White late evening to find a few flying fish gathering and a nice calm anchorage. No need for baits on this trip so we tottered off to bed for an early start!

Day 1

Fished the reefs and haunts around white and the Volkners for the morning, couple of good kings landed by Jigger Monster up to 26kg. But a reasonably quiet session. The forecast was looking better for Tuesday so we pulled pin from White around 1pm and began our long steam towards Hicks Bay.

We stopped in at Cape Runaway on the way for a great early evening session with plenty of kings on the bite around and over the 20k mark. So all of us have now got our eye in and landed a king or two. We are now warmed up for hitting the Banks!

Hunkered down for the night in Hicks Bay with 30kts blowing across the Banks but with forecast for it to ease on Day 2.

Day 2

Woke to the clouds streaming fairly quickly over the hilltop in Hicks bay but a forecast of it gradually getting down to 20kts. We didn’t rush off hoping it would drop soon enough.

First stop on a rock bout halfway out to the banks near some real deep water. Within fairly short order a couple of kings landed and then Chris came up against something solid. Definitely a fish, but one that was more interested in pulling him out of the boat than coming up to see us!

“Oh my gosh” said Chris this is rather large.

Anyways after puffing and panting and straining for a while this guy pops up. Blown, he wasn’t going back down. Pulled the boats scales down to 55kg, smashing Chris PB on Bass which he set only recently at White (I think?). Taken on a Jigstar, silver, tail weighted jig, from memory

Another bass at around 35kg to The Rod Baron and a HUGE Puka to Chopsticks  later, we abandoned this spot as the big bottom dwellers were not what we were after. We’re not here for the meat hunt lets go find some more kings! This moving on away from the Puka became a bit of a theme over the next few days!

We got into a good run of kings in the afternoon, My PB on kings got bettered several times with a king in the low twenties followed by a high twenties and ending up with an estimated 30kg fish. Fish hitting the jigs so hard they were coming back bent!

They seemed to like silver/blue jigs with a bit of pink hanging off them this day, the 6”  GULP pink grubs working well for me off the assist hook (improvised coz I didn’t got any octopuses). Others using Slams and small squids to dress their hooks with great effect!

Ray from Fishing Safaris chipped in with a top Trumpeter which had been pre-ordered by a friend.

Day 3

Early start today with a forecast as good as it gets for the Banks, 15kts with a patch of variable winds in the afternoon. This was our day for Jurassic Park! Again we found spots that held the Big Kings but also had a few too many Puka on them. So a bit of shifting around and some quiet time in the middle of the day, with not much current and flat seas.

Catch of the day was Trevor (The Rod Barons) 38 kg estimated monster. He had to chase it from the bow down along the rail and end up pinned in the opposite transom corner.

Check out the bend in Kojaks’ custom master piece a bound, stiffened Powerspell 350 spiral blank which tackle hoes out there may have already seen pictures of. Nothing better than getting to put all this serious bling to the full test on a serious Fish. Trevor has thrown down the gauntlet for the Yeehaa jigging competition I reckon!

So this spot had the big kings…. But again we were pulling in a few too many Puka and the call was made to move on.

A quieter day for me but with still a few 20kg plus fish. We had a drift of the shallows around the bank and had a couple of shark encounters. A big Mako with a bronzie on its right shoulder came up and casually ate a 20kg plus kingy from my line, no weight came on the line just a casual chomp and nothing but sliced off fluoro carbon came back to me.

This shark was followed up though on the next drift by a FAT White pointer cruising under the boat, didn’t see it myself but some of the boys reckon 3ft in width.

Day 4

Last day on the banks! Weather is back up again, not as gnarly as Tuesday but 20-25kts was more than enough to toss around all 56ft of enchanter no probs.

We hit the spot Trev got his big boy at and targeted big bait columns of Ruby fish in 130- 140m depths. Lots of current today to struggle with. We had real fast drifts over the pins, heavy jigs, tail weighted jobbies and the PE5 and PE6 rods, probably had a bit better catch rate than the PE8 rods.

On one drift the jig was up so high on the return it brought in an albie.. Unusual catch for a 400 gm jig.

Get it right though, and the Fish were there!  Four successive drops for me resulted in four Kings in the mid twenties with a big pink jig that must have been a dead ringer for a Ruby fish.  Where else do you get four mid twenty kg kings in four drops?

Plenty of Puka pulled in today with some good specimens, and Jigger Monster chipped in with his first 30kg king!  He is a dedicated spin jigger, were talking Stella and Saltiga’s and Smith rods and Hots spin rods. He bangs away all trip with the spin gear and then…..

What does he catch his PB on?????

JM Powerspell 350, OJ4000P!  He may have seen the light now and come over to overheads! All the way over from Aus to find a big king!

3pm we pull the pin and start our travels back towards Waihau. On the way we just happened to be passing Cape Runaway on dusk.

The whisper goes round “be rude not to!”  We yell out to the Skipper “JUST ONE MORE DROP!

Out comes the gear and we’re back into it!

I get cheeky and pull out my power spell 150 with my Black Magic/Avet SX scored off trade me, loaded with 30lb Powerpro and pop over the side a  4 Oz Mahiman/Boulder red paddle tails special jobby charged up under the deck lights of Enchanter.

Not sure I had done the right thing the jiggers are hooking up, and I’m still phaffing about with a soft plastic, trying to work out whether I’m at the right depth and is there enough fall on it to get the tail going?................. then………………..  woo hoo hook up.!   Oh its running,

Um………………..  

Golly!   Have I got enough drag here? There is only 50m of water……  Time for a little extra thumb pressure on the spool.

Chris can see a warranty claim he is gonna turn down, so I back off a little on the extra thumb drag…….    Hows this for a fish on a JM150 and avet sx and soft plastic…..Measured at 130cm and estimated 30kg fish.

I was mildly amused.Embarrassed

Reckon I might give the lumo jig heads, like the jigstar etc a few more bashes at the bewitching hour of dusk on a few spots over the summer, seemed to work!

Did my chips with the lads though cause it took so long to boat the fish by the time we got back to the mark, the bite had shut down.

Day 5

Woke up in sweet little bay on the last day with four or five hours run to home. We hit another reef for a quick fish in the morning. Looking for JD’s kings etc we tried a few different things here, softies etc.

Plenty of couta snaked off our gear and we were just about to pull the pin when Jigger Monster pulls out his Branzino 3000 and jigs up a 20kg king. Nice catch on a nice reel. Pretty much everyone onboard wanted to oursies this lil reel.

Big filleting session and on back to Whakatane.

Excellent trip, great fishing and crew work from Lance and Phil. Thoroughly enjoyed myself and will be back.

Also cannot speak highly enough of my Powerspell 350 and OJ4000 combo, which some doubted would be up to the banks. Thanks to the advice from Yeehaa and others I have talked to who helped me make the decision to buy. Thanks to chopsticks who was like having a reel maintenance shop on the boat for drag upgrades as we fried the standard drags in our reels.

All kings were released, fatties that could make it back down were also released.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 10:16pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A want to go Approve

Mean report 30kg King on the 150 damn thats a throwing down the challenge Thumbs%20Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JTF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 10:19pm
JTF View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Top stuffClap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 10:22pm
cod View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

well done guys bloody good read their...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 10:22pm
brown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

thats the shizzleThumbs%20Up....gotta love that 150

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sooshee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 10:29pm
sooshee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mmmmmmm, nice report!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LEVCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 10:30pm
LEVCAT View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

best report i've seen this year...

awesome stuff...   

DREAM TRIP
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 10:36pm
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Chris, thats a bad bass!Clap Superb photos guys.

The price of jm150's has just skyrocketed.LOL Frikin hell!Clap

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nepptune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 10:41pm
Nepptune View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

ClapClapClapClapClap
Absolutely awesome report and pics and fish!!!

Fantastic guys!!! Sounds like a true dream trip... That Bass is insane Chris, and that 30 kilo King on the PS15.... now thats top angling!!!

Well done boys!!!
TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 10:42pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Excellent report guys - geeze thats some mean fish
The solution to any problem - work, money, love, whatever - is to go fishing - the worse the problem the longer the fishing trip should be.

"I have a lot of very large problems"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 10:44pm
Carbine View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Holy crap thats an awesome trip Thumbs%20Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Aholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 10:55pm
Aholic View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

What a blast !!  Top report and bril pics. Congrats to all, looks like many PBs scored Thumbs%20Up 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 11:00pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Nice report Simon Thumbs%20Up and accurate in every way.   Bloody good to fish with all you guys this trip and look forward to another dose next year.

I just loved seeing guys like SF, Jigger Monster and Ray smash their PB's repeatedly on Kingies then Hapuka and Bass.  Jigger Monster (Andrew) flew over from Seed-nee for the trip.  Their typical biggies were only around 7kg.  His first 3 Kingies were progressive PB's and seeing his delight at landing a 30+kg Kingie on day 4 was a major buzz for all of us!  His handling of the esoteric Hots Wei World spin rods was a pleasure to see.   These little beauties have so much power and tenacity that i intend to have some over in a couple weeks time. 

With the number of big fish landed, all the gear got blitzed again and again and came up trumps with no real failures.  Biggest buzz for me was seeing the mid-sized Power Spell rods repeatedly smash high 20's and 30+kg Kingies, Puka and Bass without a problem.  I hadn't fished the new Power Spell rods until this trip and I admit that I have to consider upping the specifications for this rod range.  

My 52kg Bass was caught using the new Jig Star 450 rod and I have to say that this rod range is fantastic!  Light and very easy to jig, these rods at these prices will re-define the mid-price bracket for jigging rods.  Sadly, my rod developed a loose reel seat during the trip and was prematurely retired. 

This trip was a first-time opportunity to try out the fabulous light weight Smiths AMJ rod.  This little beauty is an AMJ52M which is a spiral wrapped overhead sporting an OJ3000 reel.  It would also suit a SA20 or similar mid-weight reel with PE5.   Using a 300g Curved Slider on a 50m reef, I coaxed an estimated 28kg Kingie to the boat.  The rod was throughly bent through most of the fight and confirms my belief that these Smiths rods, although quite different to the Power Spells and Jig Stars; will quickly develop plenty of followers during this season.  The AMJ rod range are typically parabolic but immensely strong.  They are very easy to jig and I would highly recommend these rods to novices getting into MJ.  Boulder has the same AMJ52M rod and totally agrees with my findings and hopes to provide the rod to newbies for their first MJ experience.       

Another great trip to the Furly with good mates and a fantastic vessel called Enchanter along with Skipper Lance and Second Skipper Phil.  These guys know the Furly well and with Enchanter's new self-learning 3D mapping sounder, no monsters will be safe.  
give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote carlostairua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 11:40pm
carlostairua View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Wicked Simon, top report and well done on the PB's!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote YeeHaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 1:19am
YeeHaa View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Clap very well done, top stuff guys. Those Bass are huge !!!! Thumbs%20Up

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 5:32am
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

fabulous trip fullas.....just awesome! Thumbs%20Up

Our trip planned for earlier this week was canned due to the forecast - wisely so.....35knts with 3ms of North isn't exactly favourable for a trip to the Furly.....oh well rescheduled to the Middle of December is all bad....hopefully by the the YFT have woken up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JigNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 5:45am
JigNut View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Holy smokeEmbarrassed....Very cool by all involvedClap
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fans-Of-Synit-Rods/137662896327800
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Memorymaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 6:12am
Memorymaker View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fantastic, guy's well done to all involved, those are absolute hogs no doubt about it looks like puka will be on the menu for a few years LOL
Fish don't make mistakes
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 6:35am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

very,very jealous........wicked report and picsThumbs%20Up congrats on ALL the new PBs.
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote J-D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 6:45am
J-D View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome report . . .awesome fishing . . .it makes your want to down tools and head for the water . .
Page  123>