Hook Size for 5 inch

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote _macca__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hook Size for 5 inch
    Posted: 24 Nov 2008 at 11:05pm
_macca__ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi

Given there is:

a) varying advice out there from tackle shops, and

b) the varying hook sizes from different manufactures

I thought it would interesting to see what most view as the "best" size hook for a 5 inch jerk shad.

Which of the below do you guys think is most appropriate?

Order of Jig heads from top is

Old nitro 5/0,
Old nitro 3/0,
Silver one is new nitro 3/0,
Bottom is elevator rig hook - 3/0.

From i understand you want the biggest hook possible without preventing effective lure action?

Let me know which each of you guys think is most appropriate for the above 5 inch jerkshad.

Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 12:03am
Carbine View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

all fine ive used 3/0 in 7inch shads with great success
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote _macca__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 12:16am
_macca__ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks Carbine.

Which would be your preference though?

I'm guessing from your comment that you find the smaller work well?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 12:30am
Carbine View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I use the elvators strong hooks and the new silver rust proof nitros would be my pick. If they  are not hooking up on them they arent worth catching (smalll snapper).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 8:41am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

The top one may stifle the tail action too  much, 2nd one down would be my pick (if I had to use those hooks).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 10:07am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

3/0 - 4/0 wormies for me!
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gulpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 10:43am
Gulpy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I always  use the nitro 3/0 and have good hook up success with snapper, KYs, kingfiish ,john dory. i do have the new elevator hooks but i am reluctant to use them because i have such a good hook up rate with the jigheads
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 10:44am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

3's and 4's like JK, 5's are just too big. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 9:22pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

3/0 for me
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote of2fsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 9:25pm
of2fsh View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Espresso Espresso wrote:

The top one may stifle the tail action too  much, 2nd one down would be my pick (if I had to use those hooks).

Be careful not to mention gulp or Nitro LOLLOLLOL....all jokes aside Grant, you give good advise and you dont spam the hell out of everything with your own products Clap well done mate, its blokes like you that are an asset to s/b fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nylg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 10:24pm
nylg1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

In the Nitros 3/0 and in the Jig stars 5/0 ( there 3/0 is very small)and Mustard jig heads 3/0 as well..
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.”
― Wernher Von Braun
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OTK Lure fishing NZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 5:58pm
OTK Lure fishing NZ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I personally have found the larger 5/0 nitro jig heads have been doing the trick on both 7" and 5" jerk shads.

For the 5" shad I do not slide the bait all the way up so the hook protudes at the end of the tail.  I ensure the hook goes through where the 3/0 would go and this has been delivering some good results.

I find there is enough bite on the barbs of the lead to hold the bait in place through many hits and hook ups!LOL

regards
The fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JigNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2008 at 6:56pm
JigNut View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think I might have to buy some jig heads nowConfused 3/0 by the look..
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fans-Of-Synit-Rods/137662896327800