Who are we?

Page  <1234 34>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote vermin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2004 at 9:54pm
vermin View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

hi there - 30 year old who was lucky enough to grow up with a father who was man keen on his fishing, thinking back to some of the trips i've had and fish i ahve caught makes me realise how lucky i was. grew up in napier and parents then moved to BOP. father still really keen on fishing and unfortunately i don't get down to whakatane enough to fish with him. live in wood bay titirangi (what number do u live in titters?) been here 2 years and love this part of auckland. have a 5.4m tin boat and get out snapper fishing a bit but not as much as i would like (which will never happen i spose), have a 18 month old girl. work in town in a finance job. had big plans on getting out over the manukau bar but have realised a 5.4m tin boat isn't all that big! maybe one day when the weather is perfect.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2004 at 7:05am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

vermin...we need to talk about this bar thing...Im exactly the same
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2004 at 9:33am
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You know those photos of kids under 5 years of age holding a sprat on the wharf - I am in one one of those. Except I am now bald and more than 40 years beyond that photo but still often enjoying the wharf.

My mother�s family has 4 generations of commercial fisherman fishing the Atlantic and Indian oceans from South Africa. Some were still whaling in the early 60s, others collected penguin eggs in the Antarctic (for resale), crayfished Tristan da Cunha and Vema, and fished across the Antarctic to South America. So it is in my blood. It is in my blood so bad, I have been known to take leave to work on a trawler purse-seining. Have also fished commercially with handline catching the notorius 'couta, kingies and bottom fish. A far cry from my career as I have my own business doing management consulting and project management. I now fish light tackle (mainly 4kg) having only learnt to strayline here in NZ. Best fish from boat: yellowfin (45kg) on a cube of pilchard - watched it take the bait next to the boat and then disappeared for 45 minutes. Best fish from the shore: 30kg kabeljou (mulloway). The great thing about fishing for me is that I still get a high from catching a 1kg fish on light line and I can never stop learning. 

For relaxation, I regularly fish along Tamaki Drive at night with my 4 kg on a Abu 6500 and a 2-piece 7 foot Fenwick for kahawai and snapper. So if you see some bald bugger with tatty clothes and tackle that looks like toys - stop for a chat.

None of my family of two teenage kids or my wife of almost twenty years wants anything to do with boats or fishing so it has become very much a solo pursuit here in NZ, where I have been a proud Kiwi for 7 years.  In NZ, my accent is strange but when I appear as a kiwi representative anywhere else in the world, they don�t know that.

In my worklife, I have travelled extensively but I always share with others about our wonderful city � to me, the greatest place in  the world to live. I have yet to find another that offers the lifestyle mix of Auckland (and fishing.net!).

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shimma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2004 at 9:48am
shimma View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Keith, hi, my wifes only passing interest is in how often I come down with TAS, and my pathetic ways to find a cure!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2004 at 10:23am
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

jim if you want more info we have had this convo before....check out the previous thread
Waikato North Harbourmaster...Got a Nav Safety question for the Waikato region?...call me 021705642 or download the app Marine Mate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2004 at 10:24am
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

CJ....your 38 stop lying...
Waikato North Harbourmaster...Got a Nav Safety question for the Waikato region?...call me 021705642 or download the app Marine Mate!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2004 at 3:47pm
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2004 at 9:43pm
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

38? me? nahhh. just give off such an air of wisdom it seems i'm that old

ahhh, looky looky, someone is about to have their member bronzed, err golded. lucky you've already done your duty then eh?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2004 at 6:08am
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

with the amount of work i got on CJ i never getting into the 3 fingers club...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingfishSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2004 at 7:56am
KingfishSi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Howdy, Si here. Just turned 28 (couple of days ago). Graphic designer for the past 10 years. And fishing.net news man

Born in Christchurch 1976, lived in Hamilton till I was 10, been in Auckland ever since.

Started fishing when I was a kid. Family holidays to places such as Tauranga and Kawhia. Dedicated wharf fishing kid and creek explorer. Took a long break and got back into fishing about 3 years ago after I scored a job in Westhaven, smack bang in the tackle shop district. Been dead keen ever since... plenty of rock fishing and a few boat excursions being clocked up, mostly through this awesome forum.

Goal to get my own boat very, very soon... A few other priorities to sort out first.
Keep knockin', nobody's home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2004 at 12:22pm
Jezza View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey KingfishSi, Jeremy here fellow Cantabrian or have you moved over to the dark side....Im 26 years young sporting one wife and only one, for now at least since November last year.. Had our first sprat in March 03 too,  have been based in Ham's for the last 8 years fished many a cold winters night of Kawhia and Raglan wharf n sometimes Tairua where I spent a year in the treehouse which was bliss fin work at five picked up the surfcaster on the way past home walked 200 metres down the road and cast, many a kawhai for dinner and john dori in the winter, busted off too many times too count in search of the first elusive, "landed" king... worked out at Slipper Island during that year in exchange for accomodation where spent many a sunset with my rod in my hand... went fishing occasionally too..... owned a 13"6 malborough viking where we used to fish either whangaparoa or Martins Bay....  won a 570 Ramco from a rock comp last year and since then an eagerness for the deep blue has gradually been exagerated over time.... oh and I sometimes like to wipe my sleeves with snot and bury them in a container of sasquatch 'n' wait patiently for the birds to arrive before returning to my cabin for a line of wasabi and and milk arrowroot biscuit....  oh and I hate Caleb Ralph oh and did I mention I hate Caleb Ralph oh and as for Caleb Ralph...

True to the fact this forum itches like one of Madonna's diseases and just like her friend Brittany Spears  I just cant get enough down time to lie face down on the carpet and scream like a baby oops I did it again...   red and black rock...

P.S it sux to be yellow.  

it's a fact woggle-bogglebee exists.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Vig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2004 at 12:38pm
Vig View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah another Christchurch born fisher here. I'm 47 married to Sue for 13 years (but been with her, mostly, for 24years) and have three kids. Grace 11, Lucy 9, and Joss who turned 3 yesterday. I have a BIL in Lalandi who is about to increase the whanau's brood with Sue's sister. I started fishing at Redcliffs with my dad when i was 5 and wanted to fish for years after that but never really got hold of it properly until in my thirties. I confess to serious gear addiction, I have nine saltwater rods, 2 flyrods, and too many reels. I just can't help myself.....I fish as often as i can, with anyone who will come at incredibly short notice , usually in the Hauraki gulf in a Dreamboats Rayglass. I am an actor and am doing a bit of work at the moment for a doco series on Television One, called Explorers. It should screen around July following the journeys of Brunner, Heaphy, Colenso and Barrington. I love freshwater fishing and am keen to spend time in Rotorua, Rotoiti, Tarawera, and the rivers adjoining, up to my fat tum in waders, hooking those fabulous browns. I do not own my own boat, my own bach, or my own life, but when i can get out I do. I also own a share of a wee pond down Te Kuiti way and have been known to pour lead balls into the sky from my 1187 Remington. usually only on opening weekend tho. Great to meet you all this way.

While there's lead in the air, there's hope.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote moonfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2004 at 11:05am
moonfish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi all, Taranaki born, 33 yrs, fished since I can remeber. Married with two lil sprats.

I am currently Auckland bound but still long for those EBOP fishing trips.

No boat (yet). Happy to try any form of fishing except fly. Hated that with a passion.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2004 at 12:31pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

43 yrs, with wife Susan of, of, of..... damn I think I am meant to know this one. Anyway, a long time! 2 kiddies - a daughter of 3.5yrs (Hana) and a son of 4mths (Ishua). Can't tell about Ishua yet, but Hana is already showing promising signs as a budding fisho. When we are away on the boat and I pull up a fish, she gets excited & starts to talk about it being time for her dinner ie she loves fish. Used to be the 14hr days corporate executive type including a long stint in Europe. These days I  am shorts and T shirt running Dreamboats (boat hire set-up) in Gulf Harbour and Tagit Charters my (small) game fishing company. Now, where would I rather be?????

I am keen on most types of fishing/hunting and make annual pilgramages into the bush/mountains to fly-fish and hunt. Sometimes even brave the screaming masses around Taupo or Rotorua, but prefer bush campsites and the rivers. Did a couple of weeks in Alaska rafting back country rivers for salmon fishing a few years back. Try landing 50lb+ King salmon on an 8wt fly rod. Probably the highlight of my fishing life so far and recommended to anyone with adventure in their sole and a cooperative bank manager!!

Try to spend approx 10 days per year game fishing, initially in my tinny, but lately in comfort more in keeping with my advancing years. Most of my game fishing has been at Waihau Bay or in the Far North. Also like to get out on the gulf reasonably regularly to keep the family fed with fish a couple of times a week.

Have owned boats since age 18 and currently own 6 (2xdinghies, 1xcanadian canoe, 1xinflatable, 1x6m tinny, & 1x44ft game boat). Also have access to several more through Dreamboats. If you think that TAS is bad, wait to you catch BAS. Having said that, only the 6m tinny is now redundant and waiting to be sold. The others all have a useful role in keeping us (or my neighbours) on the water.

Have met a few characters from this site and even fished with a few. Hope to continue to grow that list.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snapatak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2004 at 9:41pm
Snapatak View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

My name is Neil, married to Bailu for 3 1\2 years, no kids, unfortunatley lost our frist one, have a house in henderson and a section at toot, meet the wife in south africa, went to China to get married, spent 6 weeks there, and believe me they catch good fish on the coast, don't ask me what type of fish they are, but they did have beauitful fresh prawns.

Ive been a merchent seaman for 18 years, i'm 33 years old so I was only a boy when I when to sea, have travelled many parts of the world on the sea and believe me I'm always happy to see kiwi land again. Currently I'm a AB working for Silver fern shipping ( AB- (all back or hairy assed able seaman)) on the Taiko which is a 33 000 ton product carrier delievering fuel around NZ.

Worked on the game boat Crows Nest as deck hand for a season with glenn Mac farland, got my time in on a small boat so got my CLM cert, also got a ELMS, operated my Bluefin boat as a charter boat for a couple of years on my time off, after getting married and buying the house in AK the boat had to go.Have loved fishing from before I can remeber, the father was a seaman and that's where this seafaring thing comes from I guess.

These days when I'm have time off I just fart ass around at home, go fishing in the mac and on ocassions get up to toot,  brew my own beer and read fishing.net.nz. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2004 at 11:01pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Mike.... 46 or 47 ..somewhere around there anyways. I have 4 boys and live in Te Toro which is rural Auckland on a small lifestyle block.

I have a small boat and fish mainly in the Manukau Harbour. Quite happy messing arouind catching snapper gurnard kahawai and trevs. Would love to know more about trout fishing but I dont do enough of it really.... one day I may even learn how to throw a decent cast.

I used to love fishing as a kid (eels...) but gave it away more or less to practice falling off motorbikes on racetracks .... wasnt much good at that either.... but it was kind of fun when you werent scared silly. I started fishing again about 20 years ago I guess.... learning the hard way of course.

My financial situation is like an antidote for TAS .... but one day I will get the disease.

I write a newsletter for the Counties Sport Fishing Club, which only goes to prove that you really shouldnt believe all that you read.

This is a great site that has really grown over the three or four years  that I have been visiting thanks Kerren!!! Before that I was visiting an Aussie site, but not much point now.

Have met a fair few from the forum and fished with one or two. I have a little spot that I fish over winter at night for kahawai ...one of those you cant go wrong places. I dont think a single forum member I have fished with has ever caught a fish there! funny how it works lke that aye.

The best thing about fishing with people from here is that they all know how to bait their own hooks and arent frightened to take the hooks out of fish. Luxury to a father of 4 small boys, well only one small one now I guess.

What I enjoy about this forum is the way people are so willing to share their knowledge and believe me there are some clever cookies here.

Thanks a lot guys.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Vig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2004 at 11:33pm
Vig View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey snapatak...your skip on the taiko a mad gunners fan?

Think i owe him a pair of shorts from when we spent time on the Kakariki. Got to drive that lifeboat thing off the ramp, what a buzz! His name currently eludes my fuzzy memory...

Vigrs

Export Gold Match Fishing League SkySport1 9:30 Tuesdays
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Trenta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2004 at 4:58am
Trenta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I am Trent, originally from Piha Beach, Auckland

I am 26 years old, and single, and no kids (that I know of!!)

I was born into fishing really, couldnt help it when my dad was a fishing nut as well, and throughout my youth, I would take every possible opportunity to go fishing.

When I lived in town, I would ride down to Blockhouse Bay every weekend (after rugby of course) and fish there.  Never really caught that much come to think of it!

I now live in London, and sometimes pine to get back to New Zealand and go fishing, but for me, living here is a means to an end, and I guess I gotta do the hard yards sometime.

Still that doesnt stop me from being on this site everyday and reading all the posts!

Most memorable fishing moment?  My last one!  Fishing with my Dad, back in New Zealand out of Mahurangi Harbour on the 15th of Jan this year.

Good fish, good beer, good mate!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tobez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2004 at 6:57am
tobez View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

mhey snapatak...you you recall ever seeing a big red purse seiner coming in and out of whangarei?, i saw the taiko heaps of times..anyhoot that was the boat i was skippering
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dino. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2004 at 7:32pm
dino. View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Dean

41 year old kid. Married for 20 years to Jenny. No kids. Live in Birkenhead. Sales Manager.

Lived in all the main centre's so can support any team I want.

Have been in & around the sea from age 2. Thanks Dad. Aging surfie. Hobbies in order. Windsurfing for 16 years. (hi wind) Fishing. (for ever) Golf.

Slow typist. Hate Auckland traffic.

Dino

Page  <1234 34>