Rod advice for shimano citica

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote _macca__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rod advice for shimano citica
    Posted: 22 Oct 2008 at 12:13am
_macca__ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi

I have a Shimano Citica on a back bone 3-6kg rod.  With 10lb braid.

Was told by a few people that a 3-6kg rod is way to light for 10lb braid and and a reel like that.

Or a better way to put it was that the rod would snap well before the braid did or the reel ran out of drag.

Is the 3-6kg rod a bit too light for this set up?

I use it 90% of the time for fishing 30-45m with a synit deepwater rig or mahimans new cyclops.

Any suggestions on a replacment.  Saw a 6-10kg backbone whic looked nice.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Carbine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2008 at 1:20am
Carbine View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ive got the 4-8kg backbone elite 1 piece and its mint for the money it the new model with an extra guide so when its loaded up hard the line wont eat the eva grips $130-150 retail

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2008 at 7:36am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Aaaarrrgghhh...noooo, not a Citica! Aaarrrggghhh!!!!
Looks like a million bucks, but....well, mine got me so p'ed off, I serviced it with a hammer in the end.
Any rod used with a citica is irrelevant IMO, as the reel itself is gonna be a bigger problem than any rod will ever be! :-)
Citica...uuurrrgh!

A 3-6kg rod will be fine with 10lb braid. You do not want anything too stiff, as the give in the tip is going to be necessary to help hold your fish when using braid (no stretch) And, after all, even though it is braid, it is still only 10lb braid, so you surely will not be wanting to load it up to anything close to 6kg pull, will you?

Besides, I am sure the reel will die reel soon, and then you'll have spent that extra money on a new rod for nothing.

Citica...pah!

Cheers,
Stu.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote *stu* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2008 at 11:24am
*stu* View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

macca is the rod fairly short with a short cork butt and small cork foregrip?  If so then I have the same one.  I haven't used it much but have found it doesn't have much grunt to lift anything, just folds away to the reel with nothing to lift with.  Maybe it is just the short butt and grip providing a very small amount of leverage.

I was looking at replacing with something a little grunty while still maintaining the sensative tip.  I am using 8lb braid on mine.