Squid Fishing

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AINZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Squid Fishing
    Posted: 20 Oct 2008 at 5:57pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Here_fishee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2008 at 2:25pm
Here_fishee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks for posting AINZ.  LOVE squid jigging and especially love eating them (unbelievably good sashimi too).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AINZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2008 at 10:18pm
AINZ View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thumbs%20UpThumbs%20UpThumbs%20UpThumbs%20UpThumbs%20Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2008 at 10:53pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Yep, thanks AINZ, I'm keen to get into the action & had a look at all those Youtube links.
Had a bit of a try on Monday night in Tauranga harbour but nada on that occasion--will try again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote roddholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2008 at 4:20pm
roddholder View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

why the night uncle, there seems to be plenty out during the day out on the sand?.

i'm down to my last macflasher terakihi rig so stay home and make some more for me. lol.

you get more fish on uncles rigs guys, i give you the tip!.
she was only a fishermans daughter, but she reeled at the sight of my rod!.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gulpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2008 at 3:41pm
Gulpy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have been getting a few over the last couple of weeks first thing in the morning around the mount off the rocks around the weed while soft baiting for kahawai they hold on to my soft baits biting chunks out of them so i swap to a pink prawn squid jig
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2008 at 5:46pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Hi Brian & welcome to F.net. Good to see more BoP members.

Are you fishing the entrance side of the Mount?

Will likely have a go around there next week so keep an eye out for a gereatric squid fisherman & say giday.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gulpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2008 at 6:02pm
Gulpy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yes getting them in the entrance in the shallows where the weed starts just before the light beaker on the rocks, also on the  righthand (lesuire isl) side over the top of the weed on a high tide when the water level is a couple of feet above the weed with a reasonably fast retrieve so not to lose any gear
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote levinlarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2008 at 8:21pm
levinlarge View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I notice you dont use floats for catching squid off the rocks/ wharf, that is the only way I have ever done it and it has worked productively so far.
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gulpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2008 at 5:05pm
Gulpy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good idea,i have been thinking of using some sort of float device to give the jig more time over the weed zone .went out this morning but too rough on the rocks & no sign of any squid on the wharf so settled for a nice dory on SPs. What kind of float set up do you use?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote levinlarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2008 at 5:54pm
levinlarge View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

You can use any sort of float you like (pencil float, film cannister) attach it to a swivel and create a 1m or so trace with your squid jig attached. It moves around in the swell and creates movement just like a cast and retrieve motion.
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2008 at 6:39pm
Amateur View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Looks like fun, I want to try catching squid around the Auckland harbours, I'll get a pink prawn jig for my soft bait rod and have a crack around Cornwallis on the Manakau maybe. Sounds like weedy bottom is a good thing. Mmmm, calamari. Thumbs%20Up
No half measures!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2008 at 9:46am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Yehaa & AINZ, I have hidden three posts from this thread as they were getting mighty personal.
That's a shame as there was some real good info interspersed with the crud.
I'm aware there is an ongoing battle between you two on an Asian forum & from my perspective, that would be a nice place to keep it.
Please settle down & keep within the forum rules.
Advertising should be posted in the appropriate thread, "new products"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sledder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2008 at 8:23am
Sledder View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

We had our first attempt last night along Mission Bay. Armed with a few cheap warehouse squid lures and pretty inappropriate equipment we weren't expecting much but were keen to flick a few lures about on a nice evening.

After an hour or so of nothing but practice casting including sending one lure off into orbit we had a chat with a clued up local who advised us of a spot and mentioned that there weren't too many about as their season is nearly over.

Off we went to the advised spot and shortly afterwards my partner squeaked with shock as a small squid followed her lure almost to her feet. We spent many casts trying to tempt him without success.

Then I hooked onto one. :) Great fun on light line. He was reasonable in size and pulled quite hard.

And here is the tip for anyone catching a squid. Even though the squid may have inked a lot during battle leaning over the bucket should only be done with great caution as you remove the lure. Their aim is good and there is no way to look cool while leaping about in shock with black ink all over you. :-)

Apparently it is very funny though.

Give it a try. We had great fun.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote YeeHaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2008 at 10:42pm
YeeHaa View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Clap
Originally posted by Sledder Sledder wrote:

We had our first attempt last night along Mission Bay. Armed with a few cheap warehouse squid lures and pretty inappropriate equipment we weren't expecting much but were keen to flick a few lures about on a nice evening.

After an hour or so of nothing but practice casting including sending one lure off into orbit we had a chat with a clued up local who advised us of a spot and mentioned that there weren't too many about as their season is nearly over.

Off we went to the advised spot and shortly afterwards my partner squeaked with shock as a small squid followed her lure almost to her feet. We spent many casts trying to tempt him without success.

Then I hooked onto one. :) Great fun on light line. He was reasonable in size and pulled quite hard.

LOL
LOL
And here is the tip for anyone catching a squid. Even though the squid may have inked a lot during battle leaning over the bucket should only be done with great caution as you remove the lure. Their aim is good and there is no way to look cool while leaping about in shock with black ink all over you. :-)

Apparently it is very funny though.

Give it a try. We had great fun.

LOL

Clap well done...you were talking to me last night Wink. Glad you guys caught one and keep it quite for my spot X aya?

LOL

WWW.YEEHAA.CO.NZ
(09)5705058
30 Jellicoe Road Panmure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote arthuritus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 9:17pm
arthuritus View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi does anyone know about squidding in rivermouths? The only jetty near me is at the mouth of a river. There can be a bit of a current flowing but there's a nice sandy bottom and lots of mullet etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Donald Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 7:13am
Donald Duck View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Anyone tried fishing for squid off the rocks at Manu Bay?

I might give it a go I think.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hairy Little Dwarf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 7:16am
Hairy Little Dwarf View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by arthuritus arthuritus wrote:

Hi does anyone know about squidding in rivermouths? The only jetty near me is at the mouth of a river. There can be a bit of a current flowing but there's a nice sandy bottom and lots of mullet etc.

Suspect current would make it a bit tough for them there.
The Dreaded Shark-Eating Man!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote arthuritus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 9:55am
arthuritus View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah thats the conclusion we came to as well. But once I've figured out how to catch squid I'd like to go back and put it to the test - maybe fishing on the slack tides will make them happier about coming in.

I had a go off the rocks last night. We had some baby cuttlefish cruise up but I suspect our headlamps weren't bright enough to really attract anything. Plan to use a much bigger light next time, plus some berley to attract piper etc as well as some bait for the squid.

Can anyone confirm the season for squid in new zealand? Looking through these forums and on google I've seen 'december to may' and 'starting in june'. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 10:19pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Winter time is best although they do get caught over summer.
Page  123>