Shouldn�t they be happy?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingfishSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shouldn�t they be happy?
    Posted: 19 Jan 2004 at 1:37pm
KingfishSi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I�m a little baffled as to why conservationalists would want to remove these artificial structures when they are supporting many lifeforms inside the reserve and more than likely attracting more. I know that having these structures are providing shelter to small crayfish etc which otherwise may not survive predation and so yes, it maybe unatural but shouldn�t they view the more life inside the reserve as better?

Artificial reef's permit ends amid flak from conservationists

Source: NZ Herald

By: Simon Collins

Conservationists are calling for the removal of an artificial underwater reef at Long Bay that has become home to oysters, green-lipped mussels and other marine life

The reef, comprising 32 large concrete balls with holes in them to allow currents to flow through, was installed 2km off the North Shore bay by the Auckland University of Technology (AUT) in 2001.

But its two-year permit from the Department of Conservation has expired, and DoC's Auckland area manager, Beau Fraser, says the university must apply for a new permit or remove the reef.

The East Coast Bays Coastal Protection Society, which promoted the establishment of the country's first urban marine reserve at Long Bay-Okura in 1995, wants the reef removed.

"Under the Marine Reserves Act, marine reserves should be maintained as far as possible in their natural state," said former Auckland University physicist Dr Bob White, who chairs the society.

"We are not against research in a marine reserve, but this is not the sort of research we believe is appropriate because it doesn't leave the reserve in its natural state."

But the director of AUT's Earth and Oceanic Science Research Centre, Professor John Buckeridge, said the reef was installed to enhance biodiversity in the reserve, and had succeeded.

A report last August by a research team led by Long Bay College science teacher Jonathan Jaffrey said the hollow reef balls had been colonised by Pacific oysters, green-lipped mussels, barnacles, sponges, tubeworms, sea anemones and other organisms.

Professor Buckeridge said baby crayfish also settled in the bottom of the balls where big fish could not reach them.

"We have people keen to monitor them, but they are wary of going out if DoC has indicated that they no longer have a permit."

The reef has a 35-year resource consent from the Auckland Regional Council.

ARC coastal scientist Alan Moore said he was satisfied that the balls did not harm the environment.

"We are comfortable with them being there for the duration of the consent," he said.

"The purpose of the marine reserve is for scientific research."

But Mr Fraser said DoC issued a two-year permit because AUT expected research results in that period.

"The research has merit and should continue," he said, but it needed to be well-structured and serious thought should be put into the objectives.

"I do see the value in monitoring the changes that are occurring, but in terms of arguing the point about whether the reef balls are the best things compared with any other structure that may be put into marine reserves, and whether or not marine reserves are about creating artificial structures, I'm not at all confident."

Mr Fraser said any application from AUT to extend its permit would be advertised for public submissions.

The department's Auckland Conservator, Rob McCallum, would then decide whether a new permit should be issued.
Keep knockin', nobody's home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2004 at 1:43pm
Tomsta View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I agree with you there Si, It baffled me aswell when I read it. I thought those artificialreef systems were a great idea especially now that there is an entire ecosystem growing in and around them.....

The next thing you know the silly buggers are going to say that the Rainbow Warrior (among others) were sunk in the wrong places and are totally unnatural for the environment..... and should be removed...?

and I thought it was a womens priogative to be changing their minds..... not the first time I've been wrong admitedly....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KingfishSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2004 at 1:46pm
KingfishSi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was thinking exactly the same thing about the Rainbow Warrior, Tomsta
Keep knockin', nobody's home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2004 at 1:54pm
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They (in this case "East Coast Bays Coastal Protection Society") are purists. What they object to is, its not a natural reef.

I seriously doubt that DOC will refuse the consent. What you have to remember is its a govt department. So as far as they are concerned. Its apply, pay and get the consent or take it away.

This has nothing to do with the Rainbow Warrior. That and the other (cant rember its name) are dive sites and were put in place for differnt reasons

I would rather laugh with the Sinners, than cry with the Saints
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2004 at 1:55pm
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

The hairy legged brigade prove once again that they are as mad as maggots. Long Bay used to be a favourite fishing possie of ours on Friday evenings.

But the seabed there is completely featureless, and covered in a good dose of clay from subdivisions. I imagine the reefballs were the only holders of sealife in the reserve.

I thought they were a good idea, but then I'm strange - I'd like to see a stonking marine reserve there with lots and lots of marine life so that people could snorkle in a location close to Auckland and enjoy it (look at the popularity of Goat Island). Of course something like wouldn't assist the cause of conservation at all. Oh no.

The East Coast Bays Coastal Protection Society should focus its efforts on preventing the runoff from subdivisions that continues to kill off everything on the foreshore.

Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2004 at 3:29pm
Toad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

They are dumb if they dont want the reef because it's not natural. They are never going to return Long Bay to its untouched state. The reef is beneficial, it should not be removed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2004 at 6:39am
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Im building a reef near my bach...just takeing a few rocks out almost every time I go out and dropping them in on area...these people made the mistake of asking and obtaining a permit.
BTW
Anglers Lodge at Amodeo bay looked at putting in a break water that would have cost around $70,000 but building concent would have cost more than that and they would have been libel for any problem that were caused. ie; the marker posts being vandleised and a boat hitting it. They may have been forced to pay.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2004 at 1:12pm
The Dog View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Barrie i like that idea ive been doing the same just a little at a time ,pisses the scollop dredgers off but awe well........