Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 832833834835836 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 4:20pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Kingaling Kingaling wrote:

[Going to hit up NN. Planning on swinging by rough rock then out to the channel for some big drifts on the outgoing tide. Fishing softbaits and slider. 

Any tips on depths/areas? I haven't fished NN in ages. 

softies / sliders, paddle to the green marker, drift from there to where ever it goes
outgoing between yellow buoy & no7.... forget it if wind / tide the same way, can drift thru there at 1.5 - 3kmh with drogue, prefer smaller tides or wind against tide better but sloppy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 4:50pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by BananaBoat BananaBoat wrote:

Originally posted by Kingaling Kingaling wrote:

[Going to hit up NN. Planning on swinging by rough rock then out to the channel for some big drifts on the outgoing tide. Fishing softbaits and slider. 

Any tips on depths/areas? I haven't fished NN in ages. 

softies / sliders, paddle to the green marker, drift from there to where ever it goes
outgoing between yellow buoy & no7.... forget it if wind / tide the same way, can drift thru there at 1.5 - 3kmh with drogue, prefer smaller tides or wind against tide better but sloppy

Cheers  BB, 

looking like 5 knots wind same way as tide. And not a small tide either. Maybe better to stick in close? Or get 3x drogues going
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 8:28pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think I’ll go for fish tomorrow Dave, probably gentleman hours not too early. My old cat needs some fresh fish been going off her food today…. Although a royalist and actually older than queen in cat years.  Think I’ll go bait and anchor out wide if conditions permit.. kahawai gurnard and snaps… really doesn’t matter what I catch. Will put live mack down if can get one.. would like a JD. Haven’t got one out of yak this year. Must be odd one around.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2022 at 5:12pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I went for a catch and release session today, most were released,  but I kept two snapps and a big bag of Jack Macs which were quite plentiful, Shane was out on the brine, we discussed vehicle repairs and his preferred method of baiting up jack macs, it looked like he had a few gurnard.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2022 at 9:06pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah only five gurnard Dave but really good sized, as a couple of kaipara fishos going for a walk remarked on my return to beach. Think remarked “almost as big as kaipara ones” although last one I caught on your freshly donated yellowtail was circa 45cm, so a really nice one for them to be able to say that.
Couldn’t match you on snapper today, brought none home. Those ones you got are beauties. Nice to hear you got em straylining bigger fresh baits.
Need to paddle out further clearly. Thought I’d paddled a reasonable distance, but was getting tired and wanted to get bait down on some sign on finder. But obviously not gone far enough. Could hear voices out there today. We’re coming from a boat literally anchored a good km further out. Was very still conditions and peaceful. Lovely afternoon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2022 at 10:50am
Gold
Gold

Congrat's on the jumbo gurnard Shane, did you notice what they had eaten? I have consistently found shrimps/prawns and crabs in the stomachs of the ones I've caught. 
Drifting with half a mac out the back on a 1/4 oz stray line rig, while flicking soft baits ahead seems like a good option for me at the moment. I didn't hook any sharks yesterday, I often have with big baits, perhaps now is a good time for big baits before those buggers come back in in December. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2022 at 6:24pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The gurnard were full of crabs mixed with grey mud but have noticed odd prawn thing among the stomach contents (there about inch and half) which to be honest only seen in last year.
Yeah when I fish my big baits and livies over summer - its way more relaxing in a boat. Pretty good option at moment though from yak for bigger snaps. Looks like those bigger snapper still hanging wider. Should gone further out yesterday.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2022 at 10:52am
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Looks like some good fishing was had, nice work gents. 

NN on Saturday was ok, conditions were a little lumpy as it was wind against tide until the tide turned and it calmed down a bit. Geez that southerly was a bit cold aye.  

Rough rock and rangi channel were quiet. Headed in close and started picking up pan snaps and a few gurnard on the micro SB before I had to head home. 

My rod holder managed to christen that lure I made too which was good. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2022 at 1:11pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great to hear your home-made lure worked Kingaling. Gives a great sense of satisfaction no doubt. Did you use some sauce on your home-made lure?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 9:03am
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Keith C Keith C wrote:

Great to hear your home-made lure worked Kingaling. Gives a great sense of satisfaction no doubt. Did you use some sauce on your home-made lure?

I used the sauce on my SB's but wanted to test the lure on its own, was tempted to sauce it up though! I imagine the hairs and fibers would do a good job of trapping in flavour 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 9:04am
Gold
Gold

Congrat's to you and your rod holder for christening your new  lure Kingaling.
I remember that southerly on Sat, but it settled down, glassed out and turned really nice. 
Wind, swell, chills, I love it:), of course it's a pain! But good kayaking pain, says the newbie... 
I'm often out and there isn't another soul to be seen, folks have bills to pay, the hamster wheel has to go round and all that, but in a city of millions of people where fish worth $50 a kilo can be had, it surprises me more people are not out? 
But yeah that southerly sucked:)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 8:54pm
Chee View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I got onto water on last Saturday too. Starting around 8am, drifting between Rangi channel, had a few nibbles on softbait but only managed to strike at a small one. Switched to Pilly bait, and another small one came. No keepers.
My friend anchored in channel and got 4 35ish snaps in 3 hours, and shared half of his catch with me. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 12:12am
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Chee you are welcome up our ways ...Campbells …  drop us line on here and meet up and can sure get you a few fish to take home. 
If days are good off here, I’m sure someone is out, mainly HY as he is not running on a hamster wheel.
He is very friendly but probably hard to keep up with unless also running a eco yak. Otherwise I’m there some weekends. Welcome to our forum by the way.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 9:00am
Gold
Gold

You'll start catching soon Chee, keep at it, something will just click, meanwhile God bless the hamsters, I'm quite fond of the electricity grid and a few other things myself, so good job the hamsters love it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 10:17pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hamster wheel did pay for couple nice new game lures today… and get to talk to one of my heroes Steve Campbell at Marine Deals this arvo…he needs to get back to where he is no doubt happier, catching blue marlin in Tonga. His book on blue marlin fishing is a fabulous read by the way, for any fisherman not just game-fishing,  although will resonate strongly with anyone who does or want to gamefish, but an excellent book which shows even you Dave, doing lot of fishing, could keep records and stats of what works best.

HY I am jealous you no longer need to run on that wheel… why I view you as very smart man. Simple, smart and eating well (lots of fresh fish) but best of all enjoying yourself on your own terms. Lot to be admired. To top it off .. you have the most inspirational neighbour one could have if a kayaker
And re last comment I don’t mean me. EmbarrassedWhen is the neighbourhood kayak fisher people (kayak people) bbq meet and greet by the way? Or our free lesson on how we can both paddle faster?
I am thinking probably a slow burn where you give that neighbour lots of nicely filleted fish? I live in hope.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 7:55am
Gold
Gold

< defer="" ="https://static.cloudflareinsights.com/beacon.min.js/v652eace1692a40cfa3763df669d7439c1639079717194" integrity="sha512-Gi7xpJR8tSkrpF7aordPZQlW2DLtzUlZcumS8dMQjwDHEnw9I7ZLyiOj/6tZStRBGtGgN6ceN6cMH8z7etPGlw==" -cf-beacon=""rayId":"74b3e5ad89a66a5a","token":"8640a82ac6f54eb3ac8d62eee23005b7","version":"2022.8.1","si":100" crossorigin="anonymous">
I had a good session yesterday morning, it was like soft baiting on a pond for a while and the fish were biting, then something breached near my yak, I just heard the expelling of air and splash behind me while winding in a fish, there were bait fish on the sounder too, I turned around and saw the wake but nothing surfaced again so I don't know what kind of large mammal it was, but I held the paddle firmly in case it had a large tail and flicked me upward, the moon was up and there was a big tide, it was a lively morning of fishing with lots of 35-40cm snapps passing through.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 8:59pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice snapper and good  sized eaters HY. 
I’m going for a boat fish tomorrow hopefully quite early a little north of here. Heard the better snapper are moving closer and few big kings showing up
Peter got a 40cm down off rocks tonight, apparently fish roed up … which seems bit early.. But anyways changing times.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2022 at 3:33pm
Chee View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Shane and HY. Appreciated the experience sharing, so I know fish is still a lot, my time will come:)
I have a tinny now, making water more accessible, maybe only a bit due to home duties. See you on the water sometime, i'll be mostly Sunday morning if weather is nice. heading out Tomorrow, bravo!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 3:21pm
Gold
Gold

I was out flicking my curly tail around this morning, it was a beautiful morning, I had all the fish I wanted by 8:00am, then released a lot more the same size, later on the north easterly  got  a bit squally and the swell got up so I surfed back in like a pro, I haven't turtled for weeks now...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 3:32pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thats a nice morning sesh there HY

Do you keep a journal & record all the details of the sesh

I remember Dan (Muppet) mentioning the one he did ages ago, then at the end of the season he would post his results... it made mouth watering reading
I started mine in 2019. It certainly paints a picture how your local works if you regularly fish the same area thru the entire season
Page  <1 832833834835836 849>