Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 827828829830831 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2022 at 4:28pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers mate, thanks for the info

Heard today a similar thing as well. Head out to the 10m mark berley & baits then wait

Incoming or outgoing tides, is there any preference
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2022 at 6:49pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I used a two hook dropper rig with small pieces of pillie on one rod today and a stray line rig with a 7 recurve hook on the other, I caught fish from 8-12 metres, any patch of mud will do, as Shane said today when we chatted out on the brine ' let them come to you'. It was really nice out there today.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2022 at 7:26pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good to see you out there Dave. Moved further out again after you came in. Didn’t really get on to gurnard in real quantity and only picked up 3 gurnard and 3 snapper two of which were by catch on gurnard rig just over legal,  and one bigger snapper round 40 cm on a stray lined kahawai steak. Quite few small snapper released.
Nice day out there for sure. 
Just had a nice gurnard dinner.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 9:21am
Gold
Gold

A kahawai steak sounds good Shane, you know how to make a bait sound good.
When I was dragging my yak up the path yesterday I chatted with a youngster carrying his surf rod  to the beach, his gear was light, 8-10ft with a 3500-4500 reel by the look, but he'd landed some good fish at a couple of your old spots fishing the early evening 7-8pm last week, he released a 61cm snapper and a number of others, I'll ask him about his bait next time...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 6:51pm
Platinum
Platinum

Hard Yakker
Thanks for the detail of what you do
I will give it a try out this weekend if the weather plays its game right... probably head out from your patch, as its the closest place to the 10m mark

I did narrowneck Sat morning for the incoming, just 2 snaps of 32 & 43cm

Also tried out a new berley system in the weekend & it worked a treat
https://ibb.co/ZgxY1Xj

6m rope, 16oz dropper sinker, game fishing snap swivel, stainless carabiner x2, 4-5 inch poly float, 100x3 cable ties x3 (use 1 other 2 cable ties as spares)
Along the length of the rope, add 2 or more loop knots. This is for clipping on the float & adjusts berley depth
In strong current, the float sits higher, so the berley is deeper in the water column.
As the current drops off, raise the berley up by shortening the rope (loop knot) clip the float on to the loop knot/knots so the rope is all bundled together on the surface
At surface, the top carabiner is secured around the handle of the kayak to 1 of the cable ties.
If something wants your berley & takes off with it, the cable tie will bust off, disenguaging the berley setup from the yak.... prolly rock the shet out of yak hard enough to wake you up haha. Only use 1 cable tie, any more will flip the yak
When in use, the float bobs up & down on the surface. With the sinker on the bottom with the berley next to it... its like someone is constantly shaking the berley

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 8:59am
Chee View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Bought some rigs at nearby Smartmarine, wonder if those make sense? 

https://www.smartmarine.co.nz/product/12388/strayline-rig-single-pack-with-slider-sinker Hook size 4/0
https://www.smartmarine.co.nz/product/7915/sunset-snapper-snatcher-flasher-rig-5-0 (similar style, 3 hooks, size 3/0)
Tried salted bonito on Sunday with the dropper rig north Narrow neck, no luck. Sea condition was best. Is the sinker tied too far from last hook (60cm)?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 12:58pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Chee, yes you want the rig closer to the bottom, I tie mine about 20cm from the lowest hook. Make sure the sinker is hard on the bottom.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 3:31pm
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Chee, next time make your own
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np0OgaI41FA
Usually make batches of 30 plus traces & put them into resealable snack bags (150x90)
Only difference I do is the sinker as close to the bottom knot where it branches off to the hook. This is so the bottom bait sits on the sea floor
Use a loop knot for the sinker, so you can easily swap sinker weights if needed

My go to bait is salted pilchards
2L ice cream container, fill with frozen pillies (eg kg bait 300g sea salt) its ready to use in a weeks time
Unused bait back into ice cream container for next sesh
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 8:59pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

61cm is very good fsnapper off rocks down here Dave. Welldone that young fella.

Good to tie your own gurnard rigs, I find 24kg nylon good, rigs will last season unless sharked or big kahawai or large snapper are being hooked.
Longer trace ( 12 -15cm) maybe down nearer sinker, 15cm -20cm above sinker about right as suggested above, upper trace a bit shorter (8-10cm) maybe 15 to 20 cm above first trace. Use recurve hooks 5/0 or 6/0 and less likely to hook small snapper which when you are not on a prolific gurnard spot can be a nuisance. Larger hooks will reduce damage hooking juvenile snapper in gills, also more effective hook up rate on decent gurnard which will easily take hooks as large as the 8/0 mustard demon recurves I stray line with.
You want at least a 2 ounce sinker on dropper.  A 2 ounce spoon sinker when drops down to bottom or bounces off it, sort of mimics a crab hiding in mud.
Strayline baits like strips of kahawai or yellowtail with 1/4 ounce sinker above a larger recurve hook once through the top of bait will also work in low current (sitting the on bottom)  and sometimes very well on larger gurnard hanging back a little.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 4:50pm
Chee View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the link and rig info. I'll try to make use of many hooks/lines gifted while ago.
Shane, that's well thoughtful of bigger hook use. Forgive my bad drawing. How long is needed to connect to swivel?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 7:31pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

25 cm up just in case hook a nice eating gummy shark (like Dave got today on his catch and release day) or a big snapper which also could damage or break off your lighter main line if trace is too short if gets wrapped.
Few years ago used to get odd 10 -17 lber snapper on the gurnard rigs. Why you want everything to be bit stronger and longer than your average big gurnard is ever going to test.
 25cm  will be enough to take em off and re-tie to swivel a few times before becoming too short, although I just leave mine on what is a dedicated gurnard rod.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 10:55pm
Gold
Gold

Nice short session today, just a few hours before the wind picked up from 7 to 14kts in the afternoon. I paddled way out and flung big old lumps of kahawai–from the bottom of the freezer, to all who were interested...got a few and let them go, but kept a nice gummy, there's a lot of eating on them and I'm getting a taste for it, a delicate flesh, tastes good with panko crumbs. 
 However the crowing glory of it all was my surf ride back to the beach, there were some half metre waves barrelling in, I caught one and became a torpedo, it was a great moment. An old codger and his dog  walking along the beach watched me  fly off the wave and spear my yak into the beach, he said the surfs up a bit today, which I interpreted as a compliment to  my heroic and masterful performance...it would have been even better if it wasn't a fluke.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 10:38pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Half meter and no turtle Dave suggests some skill. But yeah no fun when turtle, good on you.
Did you dig paddle in on one side and lean into it,  or just paddle straight?Tongue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 9:02am
Gold
Gold

I edged into the first wave then straightened up and a second caught me and flung me to where I wanted to be,dry land, I enjoyed the ride. 
The sound of thunder had me on edge for a wee while, having turtled twice in a week, you hear them before you can see them, but I was looking forward to the trip back in this time.
The afternoon looks good today,5kts by mid day, I'll head out when I get my act together, catching a few fish from a canoe is a good wholesome hobby in these kooky times:)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 1:25pm
RockCrashing View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Ermm WHENEVER  i  see "turtle" I feel numb.  And in this weather condition ...  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 5:46pm
Gold
Gold

Just two gurnies today but both 40cm, I caught the bottom three fish with baits from one small kahawai I caught on my sabiki on the way out, the big gurnie took the kahawai's head on my stray line, and the other fish took kahawai strips with a single circle hook looped through the top, it was a  pleasant afternoon with no turtles:)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 5:27pm
Gold
Gold

It was great to get back out after the recent crap weather, but I had to battle a head wind squalling up to 15 kts on my way back in today, still  snapps and gurnies are back on the menu. I tried soft baiting in the morning but the fish didn't want a bar of it, so bait did the trick.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 9:15pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It looked to be a great day for who who braved the cold crispness…possibly only you. Would love to be out there with you but work still getting in the way. Taking days off for days like today also problematic with all the bad weather. But no excuses you are getting out and catching the fish. Full respect and like how you pick the nice days…. Best way to do it!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 1:19pm
Platinum
Platinum

Are you anchoring on structure when targeting gurnard or just paddle out to the 10m mark, berley baits out
Will try my first gurnard sesh tomorrow morning after sunrise around campbell's
Hope I get a feed with some snaps in the mix.... interesting no kahawai around
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 5:10pm
Platinum
Platinum

Zero visibility in the fog this morning, decided to stay in close, so did Narrowneck
Bloody hard going, first 2hrs throwbacks & a 36cm snap around 930... 2.5hrs on the water
Was going to go home around 1030ish, then tried a new spot that Ive seen the same kayak fish it most times Ive fished the shallows
Got there an hr before high tide, fish on.
Fished a bit of the outgoing... was a good day in the end
Keepers of 36 37 37 44 46
Fresh mullet was the best, followed by frozen kahawai then salted pillies

Page  <1 827828829830831 849>