Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 819820821822823 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 1:28pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Managed to pop out for a couple hours, just the one keeper pannie, and a fat kahawai for the smoker. 

Was trolling my lure while resetting my drift, decided to open the bail arm for a good 100m before setting my drift, so I had a really long retrieve LOL that's when I picked up this guy. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 2:23pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I took a look at the waves today but  there were too many white caps for my comfort, you Kingaling are keen, and to the victor go the fush:)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 10:23am
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Conditions were ok in the late afternoon - around 4.30-7pm 

Pretty sheltered in the bay. There were hundreds of birds all sitting in the water, with the odd bust up on the surface. Not sure if they were kingfish or kahawai? 

Went around the corner and it was a bit rougher, but manageable
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2022 at 6:55pm
Gold
Gold

I got out in the yak today for the first time since May 2021, and it was fun:).
 I caught a few snapps too, got them all on one Zman Bologna 5' , glued to my usual 5/8 3 hook on 6kg braid with 6kg fluro leader. The yak paddled well, the sun did a good repair job, as good as new I'd say. This week is looking good...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2022 at 9:54pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice work, what sort of depth?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2022 at 10:14pm
Gold
Gold

It was high tide around 8:00am, so at its deepest was about 11m, for the rest of the morning I just drifted 5-800m off shore in 8-10m of water. I'm looking forward to those anchovies coming into the bay now, I reckon I'll be fit after a few weeks of this.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2022 at 10:21pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

good fishing Dave, be keen to catch up. Off gamefishing this weekend though and working hard round that. So drop by if going past. Should be some nice snappers roaming round out there after that blow in weekend.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2022 at 10:37pm
Gold
Gold

Thanks Shane, I drop in...I've stopped drinking beer, I just drink alcoholic hand sanitiser now, they tell me it helps with the virus, you get used to the taste after a bit, I'll bring some around.
It would be good to hear an update from the game fishing world too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2022 at 5:34pm
Gold
Gold

Another day drifting around the Bays striking terror in the hearts of small snapper, the whanau gobble these down faster than I can catch them. It was a great day to be drifting around in a yak...most days are:)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2022 at 7:57pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Far out, back in to it again eh Hard Yakker
You're pretty much back where you left off from last season

Ive been doing the Manukau, 5 times in the last 6 weeks.
From home its 12mins one way or 15mins the other way gives me 11 different places to head out from, that is, Waikowhai to Little Huia boat ramp
Some of it is very tidal, so need to get a wheeleez kayak cart with the wide balloon wheels. The c-tug with sandtrax wheels is not up to it

Last time out was early Saturday morning before the storm came thru just before lunch
I got this 49cm Trev straylining a whole squid on my 2kg mono spin set.... took ages to land

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2022 at 7:54am
Gold
Gold

That's a hell of a Trev you landed BB, and on 2kg mono that is great fishing.
Interesting to hear of your kayak cart requirements for your strip of the coast.
I wheel my cart from my front yard 500m down the pavement to the beach, and then drag it across some soft sand to the water, so I've got two  different requirements. 
   What I've ended up doing is using two sets of wheels, my yak is a tank, a heavy 4.7m OC kayak, but there's plenty of room to store  extra wheels. I use the C tug sand track wheels for the sand and they work beautifully, far better than the basic C tug plastic sand wheels, but for the pavement I bought a set of small pneumatic  tyres from Bunnings and inserted  C tug plastic sleeves into the wheels to fit the C tug axel, they work great:). I also use a large Velcro strap from Bunnings, fed through the front handle of the yak and put over my shoulder, it takes all the weight off my arms.  
 It's taken me a while to go to lighter line though, 6kg instead of 10, it works much better with the soft baits I use, but I still use heaver weighted soft bait hooks, 5/8ths, when 1/4 oz should be better in water up to 10m, but I just get more hits with the heavier hooks on jerk shads, don't know why? Anyway for the moment I'm just going with what works.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Drew123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 10:14am
Drew123 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guy's, I'm new to kayak fishing in Auckland and was wondering if anyone was keen to head out for a fish tomorrow morning or would be able to give me some pointers on some good spots to try.
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 1:29pm
Platinum
Platinum

Where in auckl are you, pretty big place eh ?

When I started out, I bought the spotx book, entered the given marks into my gps / ff & fished the ones around my home patch. I also keep a journal & detail everything that happened on the water.

If you head out before first light in the morning at any popular place, there's always someone else around that you could go out with & from there might team up with a regular mate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mysto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 4:19pm
Mysto View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Drew123 Drew123 wrote:

Hey guy's, I'm new to kayak fishing in Auckland and was wondering if anyone was keen to head out for a fish tomorrow morning or would be able to give me some pointers on some good spots to try.
Cheers

This time of the year the shallows in the inner harbour always produce a feed. I launch from Pt Chev yacht club ramp and paddle out to the channels. Edges of the channels hold the fish, not the channel. 
Don't expect anything sensational but I did catch some real good ones in those waters including a PB donkey Trev. Even kingies lurk around there. 
Watch for the marine reserve borders.
You have to be back by 2.5-3hrs either side of low tide otherwise you'll be dragging in the mud.

Bait wise, zman Curly tailz do well there (motor oil, bruised banana). Gulp nuke chooks grubs are like crack to juveniles and they snip the tails, so you'll be losing a tub in no time.

If using stink bait, then fresh mullet or pillies are the go. I buy my mullet fresh from Pack'n Save and pre-cut as a fall back if the plastics are not doing much or the drift stops.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 7:34pm
Platinum
Platinum

Mysto
might see you out there some time, have been fishing PC & Meola last few years

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mysto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 7:34pm
Mysto View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Were you there today?
I was there at high tide, saw 2 kayakers on their way back.

Very slow day with 2 average keepers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 9:04pm
Gold
Gold

I was sent out on the brine again today to catch fresh fish for a family gathering, despite my protests that Bill Hohepa said it's a crap day for fishing today because the moon's all wrong.
 It was a tough day, earlier in the morning while the tide was high I was fishing in close to the rocks  and  hooked a big one, a snapper I think, but it could have been a King, my 6kg line just screamed out, I began to slowly tighten the drag to slow him down a bit, then snap! My fluro trace  snapped halfway up, and I was in pain...an hour later I was still in pain! It was brutal.
This was to have been my splendid day when I caught a large snapper...then I caught a little snapp and it got off next to the yak, and I let out an involuntary yelp, the kind of sound a seagull makes when it gets a hook in its wings, I was still in pain an hour later.
 Fishing is odd like this, you go from high excitement to miserable pain in a flash, anyway the fish were caught and eaten by our family of gannets, who seemed to think they tasted pretty good, so the day wasn't a complete disaster:)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 9:34pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dave, my brother currently has view of beach, down other end. Tonight we were looking out and noticed hell a lot of terns working. Suggest those anchovy work ups your looking forward to have just started happening now. Up the trace mate, will be some much bigger snaps and few kings under those. I’d be going at least 25lb possibly 30lb softbaiting. Just me though but those big ones, are ones you want to catch.
See my other post on “ wish Alan luck” .. on how we got on marlin fishing when we crossed paths ( road to greet each other)  the other day. No cigar for us but got pretty close, as in seeing marlin close, with about 20 ft of mainline and leader leader with marlin on before before it pulled hook. Cheers Shane.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 9:18am
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Out from Army Bay yesterday, grabbed a few livies at daybreak then went trolling straight out from the bay. 

Found a bunch of bird activity on the surface and dropped my skute down for a few casts 

picked up a couple fat pannies, bite seemed to die off pretty quick though. 

Caught a real horse of a KY on one of the livebaits which went in the bin, and few smaller snaps went back. 

On the way back in, my livebait got taken by a small king in only 4m of water, a legal model I think would've absolutely smoked me there. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 11:15am
Gold
Gold

Looks like you had a lively days yak fishing Kingaling, the heart rate goes up when a livebait  goes off, whatever is on the end.
I've never seen a 'scute' before,it  looks like a promising reusable, can you buy them or do you make them?
 I loved fishing the work ups from my yak last year, I just casted my soft baits from the edges and had fun with trev's, ky, snapps and a small king, but I spotted some big kings, so I'm going to take out a Slugo and a popper for when I see the big ones on the surface–I don't know how to use either, but I've bought them:) 
I went to lighter braid and leader this week, the 10-12lb braid and leader worked great for soft baiting in the shallows, the light line was responsive and with my  ocean angler megawave 8ft 6 in rod and a HS Slammer 2500 reel, with fancy  expensive braid, it was a treat to use, but I'll take Shane's advice from above and go with heavier line for the bird action as I'd like to let a big snapper go after catching it this time, I've had enough broken traces pain for the week. 
The fish under the workups, like me,  look hungry, but not too spooked by heavy traces...so I'll give 25lb leader a whirl...what do most experienced yakkers here use for casting into  workups with a softbait rig?
Page  <1 819820821822823 849>