Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 805806807808809 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 7:11pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 7:27pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I did say I'd caught everything on slow jigs/micro jigs...um...that would be everything except Terakihi, Porae, Boarfish and Blue Moki.
You might be doing work on the coal face M, we'll be following your progress.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 9:57pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 8:14pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That be a challenge mate , put money on you wonโ€™t catch any boars. But good luck to you as lot of those such as boarfish are really rare to be caught on a rod. But you did get a terra, blue moki are possibility and are some in goat island marine reserve, seen  em diving. Porae easy,  have already done those out of boat on small grub softies. Another one to target would be greenbone/ butterfish. They are delicious and suspect reasonably still prevalent in your area you are fishing. Much better chance than blue moki. You might pickup few blue cod and leather jackets in your search .. all delicious especially leather jackets/ cream fish. 
 Used to  spearfish around there - all species your looking for still there.  Good trevs hang around Ti point wharf and Omaha entrance especially this time of year.
Thank me later when youโ€™ve caught something.
Bugger lock down . 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 8:26pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 10:16pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good  on ya Dan, sure your positive attitude will produce some goodies and posts on that front going forward, aspirational and inspirational. 
Full marks as usual, makes me envious how you ping out of your limits which already surpassed on snaps and kings.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 6:40am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 7:35am
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

We get terakihi here around 2kms out and it is extremely satisfying to get them. I've fluked the odd one on a softie but done best anchoring and ledger rig small hooks and Tua Tua bait etc. Bit of a hassle on a yak when you are used to softbaiting ๐Ÿ˜„
Got one Porae on a softie. Tasted great but be ready for everyone who confuses the name with porore and says it's crap ๐Ÿ˜†
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 8:09am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 5:38pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Years ago (early 90s) on a charter at outer leigh reef somewhere, we got into golden snapper
Are these fish around for the picking or are they gone
Them and porae along with a kingi are on by bucket list
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 5:54pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Caught a few Porae but been a while since I have done. The last one was big they fight harder than snapper I put it back.

Yep Porae go hard, certainly harder than most other fish.  We get them here in WA where they are generally known as Queen Snapper.  Whilst some don't rate highly as a table fish they come up a treat deep fried in batter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 5:54pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 8:36pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The foul outside flat island near Mahinepua in northland is awesome for golden snapper. I get them on small jigs in about 50m but you have to be dropping right onto the structure.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 1:43pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 3:32pm
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Picked up a thorn in my side. Another Abu this time a 6600 lever drag, will probably have to wait till L3 to get it though.

I owned one back 2001 when still getting used to fishing overhead reels, to say it was a barstool to use was an understatement ๐Ÿ˜‚ Will see if my skills have improved, but it was one of the reels I would use on my charter trips back then.

I have the same reel Smile It casts beautifully but doesn't have a heap of drag - uses felt washers as drag plates. Gear ratio is also pretty low. I've shifted to low profile Abu's but son has kept hold of the old 6600 and uses it when he does the occasional bait based charter trip.

Might try and get it back for a surf cast session on my old surf rod.
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 3:45pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 9:56am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Haha nice Sufishent. One benefit of Covid is not spending money and keeping a beady eye on trade me for bargains. I have a thing about old gear I owned I maybe should try again ๐Ÿ˜‚ There is another Abu I am looking out for the old Brute.

I am wondering if the 6600 can handle braid though and whether I remove the plastic hood over the spool to fully access it. Will be used as a bait reel and Gurnard snatcher.

My bad on my original post - it has cork drag washers.

I've put braid on mine and it works fine. Yep, a perfect bait reel - mine has the "slide" clicker assembly on the lhs and I fished it in free spool ie thumb bar pressed in, clicker engaged and lever drag set to drag setting of choice. When the fish pulled line - clicker goes off, wind the handle, gear engages and generally fish caught. Having written that I realise how much I miss fishing with it :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 2:10pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 4:08pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah I have never seen a leverdrag reel where you can disengage the spool without moving the drag lever, that is pretty cool!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 11:36am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

So the thumb bar disengages the drag into freespool no matter what the leverdrag is set at?
I am trying to remember how it operates nearly 20 years on ๐Ÿ˜‚ that is quite a unique function to Abu isnโ€™t it?

Yes - makes it a great baitrunner style system in an overhead. (My other Abu low profiles do the same). Biggest issue (not a biggie to me) is the line guide does not disengage when in freespool.
Page  <1 805806807808809 849>