Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 796797798799800 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 3:46pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 6:41pm
kingiFiddla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Shane, thanks very much for the offer. One I'd love to take up closer to Summer if still available then. I'll also go hit up that dude at Top Catch here who seems to know his game fishing stuff too and might be able to put me in touch with a few of those fellas you mentioned. They should at least get a kick out of the nutcase speedbumper thinking he's going to get amongst marlin and live to tell the tale.

Speaking of which, that's a pretty cool story M. Front row seats are seldom worth the price of admission and half a kingi is too high a price to pay but a great story to tell the grandkids. Reminds me of when that little Mako signed it's name down the side of my yak with its teeth and I feared I'd sink before making it back. It's times like those I wish (even more) i had Lisa sitting in my lap to help get me outta there STAT.

On a different matter, I'm still confused about Tasline and hoping you guys know and can help please? I thought they had sold the machinery and/or it had upped sticks to Melbourne a while ago now. But I see Marine-Deals are selling Tasline elite (white) and their blurb and images still show the old labels that say made in NZ. Is it another case of MD being a bit slow to update their product descriptions or is it still being made in NZ? It can't be they are selling off old stock, as they are awaiting stock. To complicate matters even more for this blonde, The MD Aussie site doesn't even sell tasline.  Maybe they have a deal with bustedfishing in Aus that they can't sell it in Aus but can in NZ, and the braid is in fact all coming from Aus now?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 6:41pm
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Righton muppet
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 6:54pm
Gold
Gold

Hey, Shanchez, I've got my kidstix all rigged for a kingfish, trying to emulate that spideyRod you posted a video of a while back. seems like a fun thing to try.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 7:10pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 8:30pm
Gold
Gold

Thanks M. If by some miracle the tasline is still NZ made, I won't be looking further. Otherwise will take a good look at Gosen.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 5:50pm
Gold
Gold

Well, paint me bloody surprised fellas. They are still making Tasline here, until sometime next year anyway. In all strengths except 8lb and 16lb. I honestly thought it was only being made in Aussie now.

Just ordered some. Had to chuckle because the braid is costing more than the rod and reel FA found for me. Thanks again FA.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 8:47pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Gosen is great, Tasline also great (even better if still made in NZj , but the cheap braid that burnco sell is also very good… just while we are plugging brands. 
Used all 3.
Bit of colour dye will come off on your fingers with cheaper stuff… used to with few other notable brands as well.. nothing to be concerned about.
Probably why mostly  tasline is white. Buy an avet from usa/ charkbait and they will  with white ‘toro’ braid, awesome stuff. Lot of good braids seem to have trouble absorbing colour to hold in their braids .. probably why muppet likes Gosen? As well as thin and great knot strength. Whereas I’m less fussy and love a bargain.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 9:03pm
Gold
Gold

Thanks Shane. This stuff?
If so, they don't list the thickness for each strength.
Sure is cheap. Sorry if I came across as plugging a brand. I don't mind paying a bit more for NZ-made when it's a good option but certainly glad to learn the Burnsco stuff is worth a go.

Between the crazy amount of kairiki I have left and now this tasline, it might be a while until I need any more, unless I get very lucky and am spooled by a big moonshot critter. We can but hope...

*edit* Hmmm, maybe should have spare braid in case I'm camping on the east cape for a few days and get spooled on day one...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 9:20pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Might hit hit you sometime for refill fella , but stuff lasts a long time and I topshot a lot. Have a jigging reel which might need replacing sometime… has pe 5 on it, old opus bull caught few kings , but worse is last 50m on A sustain 10k, real bad . But might just cut last 25m off, probably all good after that… use it stickbaiting. But damage on those last  20 meters braid was done years ago stickbaiting kings in shallow that were 20- 30kg plus . Lost couple too, on massive bust offs,  and pe 5 as Rick Pollock said was too light.
Love 10k size spinners for jigging, live baiting and top water…. With pe5.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 9:21pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes Edge braid in the plain green is good stuff.
Haven’t tried multicolour but suspect also good, better than Diawa j baid 4 which is rough as guts but seems very strong in 80 lb , have that on a tld 50 for puka. With what we do in kayak top water, jigging, and livebaiting I’d  go 8 carrier even though almost twice price. Suffix braid should have also mentioned is also very good.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 9:44pm
Gold
Gold

If you or anyone is after multicolour 25lb kairiki (.215mm), there's over 2000m left on that spool I bought a while ago.
Will have about 150m of 100lb tasline spare too.

Keen to swap for or buy some mono bite leader if anyone has some spare.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 10:14pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Originally posted by MichaelK MichaelK wrote:

Hi Wayne...nah bloody Dan wouldn't share his kingies all morning....LOL.....I wasn't particularly after a fish to keep, more for sport this time around....the only one I had mouthed my livie then spat it out as I went to load up....drag was set a bit soft...oh well lessons for next time....in regards to the bronzies it was pretty awesome as they thrashed on the surface after the head after Dan tossed it in......I have also never seen Dan paddle away so fast......LOL.....understandable when 3m of teeth are grinning at you....I reckon the kingie was in the 25-30lb region looking at what was left....and Dan was getting towed around pretty well.

unfortunately I am away for the next week and the weekend looks mint....hopefully there will be a change when I get back and can have another go

Aussie Mike was witness 😂

Was a great morning

Great report Dan and Michael Clap
those are the mornings that memories are made LOLLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 10:17pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have a new spinning reel and am about to put braid on it. 
I have read and watched some you tube videos where people say you dont need any backing or mono. 
They just put some insulating tape on the spool to stop any slippage  and tie the braid on. 
Its a Penn live liner for kingfish.
What do you guys reckon?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 10:18pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It’s kind of in between line weight …. Ideal for kings and massive snaps,  maybe some tuna, and lighter tackle big sharks and marlin. 
Put a price on it. It’s not for everybody. Is it 40 lb breaking strain?
Sounds pretty ideal for kayak livebaiting actually .. as no one is actually fishing pe 5 full noise from a yak.. in spite of what they think they need. Pe5 would pull you over real quickly if you tried to break it..
Could also be handy line weight for heavy slow jigging in tiger country (something I  like doing) , although currently we are running pe3 for that and it is more than my current rods can handle.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 10:53pm
Gold
Gold

Trying to bust off a shark on the 25lb kairiki was quite an eye opener. Not as easy as I expected it to be. It was quite hard to wrap my head around how such a thin line takes so much load. there's no way i would have landed that last kingi on the wee Okuma reel if I had thicker line on - would have been spooled for sure. Average breaking strain of 45lb. Was toying with the idea of keeping a bit more of it and then offering the rest of the spool to familiar posters on here that wants to try it, to take what they want off the spool, make a donation to starship then send it on to the next poster that wants to try it out and so-on until it's all gone. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 11:00pm
Gold
Gold

B, I'm not experienced enough to be offering any suggestions, and I'm sure others will chime in with more qualified advice, but I use a few wraps of mono. I guess it doesn't really matter on most of the cheap gear I have had a ball playing with (except I think I'd shed a tear if my mighty eclipse rod broke), but Id rather any fish that wants and is able to spool me doesn't shock load my gear or pull me off the kayak. So the mono I use is always lighter than the braid. 

But I'm sure there are others who have stories of PB fish spooling them and finally being able to get some line back and they sure are glad the line didn't break.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 2:13pm
Gold
Gold

In case anyone here knows someone looking to get into yak fishing, I thought this was a heck of a deal for $1400:
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 4:40pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 5:10pm
Gold
Gold

Sure was M. But $1400 for everything, including fish finder, trailer, a few rods, etc is pretty bloody good too, especially if starting out. Kermit was new and cost me $700 at auction.

Way things are going I'll need to use it on moonshot missions. Logistics ex South Africa are a nightmare at the mo' and the guys in Aus aren't talking to me any more and Ryan here in NZ isn't getting anything until end of Summer (crazy timing, in my not so humble opinion).

Page  <1 796797798799800 849>