Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 769770771772773 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 5:27pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

You sound like you had a great session Muppet.
Since the commander of the Campbells Bay fishing fleet: Shane, has gone awol, probably sword fishing... it is up to me to harvest the squires.
I had a little penguin for company for a while and then a seal. I used all of my old salvaged softbaits, the mangled ones I had clipped to re fit and use again, they seemed to work. I still don't have my Bixpy so it was a whole lot of paddling for me. The little Trev was a fun fish to catch.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 6:22pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Was out risking life and limb on manukau today Hard yakker. Experienced 2x horrible bar crossings going out and coming in, all for couple of albacore.

I would have gladly been off campbells kayaking instead. 
Fell getting of boat at huia, much to everyone’s entertainment, took a swim and grazed my knee in the thigh deep water.
Still have boat and reels to wash down, and trying to convince wife to fillet the albies seen she reeled them in.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 7:51pm
Gold
Gold

Glad you're still with us old son, crossing the bar sounds more dangerous than jumping the shark. You've earned a medicinal ale after all that.
Manukau harbor is going to be Auckland's new super port I hear, the brains trust that chose it no doubt have a plan for fixing that minor imperfection, the bar...when or if they do it will be great for the game fishers.
 I've left a few decent ones for you at Cambells. My rookie mistake today involved tightening my drag all the way up to get free from a snag, then forgetting  to adjust it on the next cast, which was the best strike of the day, it bent the rod over and towed me for a few secs before I lost it...it's out there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 8:14pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Currently off the turps, but if ever I needed a drink it would be after today HY.

Can’t believe how casual some  are out there with that bar, must do it a lot.
There were few guys talking about staying out till the incoming tide tonight, Guess they’llbe coming in now, was low at 6 pm. They reckoned it would calm down but with only few hours water after low before dark, I’m not sure I’d take risk. But each to their own, and they are probably experienced regulars in bigger boats.
I did see couple of kayakers back at little huia, one I spoke to had been unsuccessful. It looks like a fairly dangerous spot to be kayaking as well once clear bay itself, with a lot of fast water and chop.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 8:37pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 10:29pm
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Did you get out today Muppet ? Looked pretty sweet on early. I've got serious engine issues so boat is out. Waiting till 15th to know when my mechanic can even give me a date to look at it. Till then I'm dusting off the neighbors kayak. Working this morning and it looked painfully good. HY you are like Bruce Wayne, If he retired being batman. Pretty consistent results mate. Excellent
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 6:33am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 7:03am
Hookedline&sinker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Late lurker om this forum...always admired the success of you yakkers. Stayed on a bach at Waiheke last weekend. was going to go rock fishing but it came with a fishing kayak. Skunked first time out - to be fair middle of the day. The next day left much earlier and got a couple of 33cm on the second trip. Was awesome feeling - drifting and being closer to the action. My setup means it is likely a one-off but really got an appreciation.Can't imagine what it would be like to be towed by a big fish.(although would love to experience it!).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 10:11pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well, we have had wild weather at Tauranga Bay the last couple of days but has calmed down a bit now. Looking li 10-15 knots of SE tomorrow. Low tide around 6.30am so I won’t bother with an early start. Gonna launch around 8am and softbait my way towards flat island. The real mission for this holiday will likely be Saturday morning, predawn launch at Taupo bay and fishing my way toward cone rock.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 9:40pm
Titanium
Titanium

Well, yesterday was ok until the SE became E, paddled all the way to Arrow rock, lost a nice 60ish cm snapper right beside the yak, then did a long drift in close to try and avoid the wind. Got enough pannies for a good feed for the whole family. Fizzing about Saturday’s forecast, I am now planning on paddling over to Stevies.

A guy got a 12lb snap off the beach this afternoon which is the first decent one I’ve seen landed here in the 6 years we’ve been coming here.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 5:15pm
Gold
Gold

I went for a paddle this morning with my Bixpy back and cranking, the water was very murky and there was a lot of sea weed, I could hardly see my soft baits a metre or two from the surface, I don't think the fish could see them either, I had no bites for two hours, zilch, nothing.
As the sun got brighter things picked up, I was fishing the northern end of Campbells and noticed terns diving at the southern  end, so I paddled flat out with the Bixpy fired up, but I just kept missing the action, finally I  started flicking my soft bait and picked up a couple of snapper that were sitting back from the boil ups, which were about 200m from shore by this stage.
I then paddled back to the beach and turtled in the surf in front of numerous exotic creatures sunning them selves, it wasn't my most majestic moment.
How often do folks service their Penn Spinfishers? I'm thinking now might be a good time for me after this swimming session.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 6:01pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 7:33pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hard yakker
Service those reels straight away mate
My last turtle cost me my hundy buck Rob Fort anchor plus 4 reels serviced = 160 bucks
Silky smooth now instead of future seized reels
With your fish finder, tape over the sdcard slot & then jam the connections on the back with di-electric grease
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 7:58pm
Gold
Gold

Thanks BB. I know a swim will destroy a regular reel, but I am interested to see how these Spinfisher vi reels hold up to a spill, the regular Sf is said to have the same seals as the Penn Slammer, they are sold as IPX5 but the seals are identical to the IPX6 Slammer...whatever, I’ll get them both serviced, it’s a better bet than waiting to see what happens. My Stradic died after one swim:(
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 12:54pm
Titanium
Titanium

Launched at Tauranga bay about 6am and paddled to the SE corner of Stephensons island. First fish was a solid 74cm, probably around 17lb. Released to tow another yakker around. Kept a couple of nice pannies (mid 50cm range) here before catching and releasing another big one, around 70cm. Drifted around to the east side of the island and kept another couple of pannies. Then the bite died off with slack tide so I started heading back. Came across some kahawai work ups at the half way point and pulled another couple of pannies out from underneath, and released a few big kahawai.

Pretty good session and so happy to be able to get to one of my favourite spots as it has been windy all week and we are headed home tomorrow.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 1:34pm
Gold
Gold

Awesome fishing Tele, I'm jealous:)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 3:09pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 11:59am
kingiFiddla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Been too long between sessions, but got out this morning. First livie caught a rather large kahawai that went back. Paddled over to McGregor and next livie got bricked by what felt like a shark. Was a good fight until that point. Wind got up so head for home, upgrading my last livie to a kingi along the way. Not huge but over legal.

Nice to see my favourite livie rod, the sub-$40 mighty Shimano Eclipse, back in its happy place again.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingiFiddla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 12:01pm
kingiFiddla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice one Telecaster. How are you liking the fusion?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 2:45pm
Gold
Gold

Nice fish kF, the adrenaline hit with those is surely addictive.
 I was out this morning towing a mac around and looking for a Kingie, but no avail, no adrenaline for me, just aerobic fatigue, I'm old, at least I didn't turtle on the way back in today:) The fish were not hungry down our way, I should have listened to Bill Hohepa, I read him, but it makes not an iota of difference to my plans to go fishing, I just like to know what Bill is thinking. The family dog looks forward to fishing days as much as me, but she's giving me the evil eye today, no sashimi .
Page  <1 769770771772773 849>