Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 709710711712713 850>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 8:21pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JMac83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 4:13pm
JMac83 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Stunning morning on the water, fishing was very slow though. Launched Army Bay at 6.30 as planned and was quickly greeted with gunfire from the army base! With Wellington reef/rock in the exclusion zone due to live firing from above, I headed in the opposite direction and came across some good sign at 12m mark. Dropped my current favourite lure, a red and lumo 30gm hornet, with a red and green curly tail hookset from a slider straight on to off sign and immediately hooked into a great fish.... which took me straight into some foul and broke my line, despite a heap of drag. Bye bye lure 😥 things slowed down from here. After 4 hours and plenty of throw backs,
I came in with 2 snapper mid/ high 30s and a John dory of similar size. Enough for a feed anyway, just glad to be out there👍🏼
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 5:09pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JMac83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 6:25pm
JMac83 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

No didn't come across any bait, though a small work up developed only 100m off the beach as I was packing up. Another yakker who had come up from kawakawa bay chucked a softy into it on his way out but I didn't notice him get into anything.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 6:29pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2019 at 2:17pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Launched at Tindalls ramp about 10.30 and made my way out to the lee of that rock off the point on the east end of the bay. Anchored (carefully) and got the burley pumping. Drifting fresh squid baits (caught at gulf harbour on Wednesday) on the baitrunner.

Stuck it out for just over 2 hours - zero bites. Burley ran out and it was getting pretty dodgy with some big breaking swells wrapping around the point so I called it early.

Not even any baitfish in the burley trail - strange.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2019 at 2:56pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2019 at 3:44pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Keen .. could hear waves breaking from my place early this morning. Went for a walk before down beach, no boats out.
Great day for a bit of maintenance.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2019 at 9:17pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Travis79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 10:55pm
Travis79 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey fellow yakers!
Just a very short report from Norway.
Generally, the fishing was very very slow.
On the table come two reasons.
The first ... long winter... on 30th of May - 40cm of snow on fields and till I came there... maximum temp 15C
The second ... the last year the gov of Norway allowed big trailers to fish fjords... ehm... who would say it may have some impact for small locals, right?
Nevertheless, I feel very lucky that I've caught 6 of 9 common kinds of fish there, including one very special on the very last day. Because of that, locals called me "Damn bloody lucky bast*rd" :D as they have never caught one or saw it alive.
Also the big surprise for me was to catch small northern Gurnard. It was brown and small, nothing like red butterfly as in NZ. Unfortunately no picture of it. What a shame!
I spent 2 days on the boat and 3 fishing from the rocks. Have to say that rocks were more successful.
Adding very few pictures to share.

Ehm, ehm... starfish caught on sabiki wasn't on the list :)

Usual fishing vessel in Norway made in Czech Republic

From the top,
Pollack
Ling
Cod

10kg Monkfish, caught from rocks in the depth around 15m on $1 soft bait. On the pictures is the fish still alive. I pulled it out in this shape and it stayed like that until its head met the baseball bat :)

What a funny small legs on the bottom of the fish :)

Chemical light attractor on the antenna in front of the mouth :D

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 4:54pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Travis79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 7:29pm
Travis79 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah, I know. My first thought was... damn, I have to find somebody to tell me what this fish is! .... I found some locals and their reaction was as I mentioned earlier ... adding that it is the most expensive fish on the marked and I dont want this fish to be spoiled.
Btw. You have no idea, how difficult is to buy ice in Norway!!! :D
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapperdapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 3:33pm
snapperdapper View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

That sure is Huuugly-In SA i think that fish is referred to as Kingklip and is sold headless for that reason! Been pottering away in my neck of the woods, been going out most weekends, catching enough pannies to keep my happy with not much to report of late. Had great service from the folks at shimano though: The reel stem sheered off my wee little stradic 2500 whilst landing a small pannie, and I sent it to them via GoFish for a warranty repair, which they honoured. Nice when folks put their money where their mouth is. I know which reel I'll be buying next when the time comes!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 3:51pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by snapperdapper snapperdapper wrote:

... In SA i think that fish is referred to as Kingklip

No, there are monkfish in SA.

http://www.ij.co.za/monk/

Kingklip (Genypterus capensis) is the equivalent of NZ ling. (Genypterus blacodes)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 6:32pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 11:19am
Titanium
Titanium

How rubbish is the weather looking for the weekend! Might have to do some gardening or something.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 4:10pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 6:56pm
Titanium
Titanium

Thinking about taking Friday off work and heading to Leigh, anyone else keen?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 7:00pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 1:26pm
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah launching tomorrow around 7, will fish the whole outgoing then maybe do some squidding at low tide Big smile
Page  <1 709710711712713 850>