Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 700701702703704 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 10:30pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good pic, thanks.
Do u find the clip makes the fish shy on the bite and sometimes go without it?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 10:08am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 10:09am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 10:38am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Totally agree, mate. I have resorted to using a light pair of pliers to open the clip when in that situation. Otherwise I end up with my finger like a pin cushion with the hook point leaving little bloody marks every time the jighead slips trying to get it on! I like the shorter length of the Ten Mouth compared to the Mustad ones, but the Mustad's definitely easier to get the jighead on to.
I don't think the fish worry about the clip at all (or no more than the big lump of lead on the jighead??). But I guess we can never prove it.

for me, the advantages are not having to keep shortening the leader tying loop knots at each change, and the extra protection from a snapper's teeth. 
Losing a good fish to a loop knot that wore through (yes, should have re-tied it!) sent me towards using clips.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapperdapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 10:59am
snapperdapper View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

ha ha ha- I remember getting a great set from Go Fish years ago, but when I r an out Both sets of other ones they had were either too stiff (and I'm talking couldnt get them off with dry hands) or the frikken things dont thread through my small jig heads. Given up now and just go direct to the hook. Looking forward to a good grunter session with you boys again- still my favourite eating fish. When do you think they'll start coming in Dan?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 11:48am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 6:34pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

I will go out and give them a call Yves ๐Ÿ˜‚

Argh the fish wisperer ๐Ÿ˜‚
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapperdapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 10:00am
snapperdapper View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

ha ha ha! If you want to conference call them, let me know :-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 3:44pm
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Weather looking great this weekend, will get the yak wet again looking like Jones early tomorrow, hopefully avoid all the people in the fishing comp going on!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 7:40pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Gonna do a arvo/evening session tomorrow from Shakespear park, may head to tiri and beyond if itโ€™s as flat as the forecast suggests. Got a new paddle to try out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 8:14am
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What paddle did you get Tele?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 9:42am
Titanium
Titanium

An older descente carbon wing off TM.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 6:51pm
Titanium
Titanium

Woke up with a cold so we just stayed on the mainland edge of the channel. Sporadic kahawai workups moving up and down, some reasonable snapper underneath. Kept 6, nothing big. Good condition though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 8:00pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Lovely day out there .. all day, went out early arvo and fished till dark. Plenty of snaps, nothing massive . Late arvo I loaded up on jack macks on hand line. Have enough for few trips in yak.
No gurnard further out yet . I tried wide and while neighbour scored few decent snaps this morning, were mainly just smaller snaps out there this arvo. So I paddled in and had strayline at back of kenedy park for few slightly better fish .. but of lots bait .. piper and jack mackeral.
Anyway another good snapper dinner ... had some green vegetables last night.

Tomorrow might take new dragged big alvey reel I bought this morning for flick off the stones. Gee I love fishing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 8:01pm
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Had a good paddle today up takatu then across to back of kawau and back to jones. Mainly softbaiting the shallows, was pretty dissapointing not a huge amount of fish possibly tide was too low for most of it. Ended up with some decent pannies but the story was really the one that got away, near the end of the day biggest i am pretty sure snapper i have hooked on softbait gear. Must have been swimming through the gut as basicaly came right under the yak then felt the hook and sent me in a spin, survived the first big run and started pumping to get on top of it when it took off for its second and did me, fishing 4-5m of shallow reefy area, one that will live in the memory for a while.....might have thrown a major tanty after that one
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 8:06pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 8:11pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hard luck Deacs ... shame you didn't get glimpse of it. I remember years ago in small tiny losing a big one but we got to see it swimming along on its side in shallow water under the tiny till iit snapped the 20 lb fluro vanish trace.
Fish you lose are the ones that bring you back for more .... are great for motivation. We got owned by a king off rocks last weekend ...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote r20b_pp@hotmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 9:31pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Oh no deacs. That's why we do it for those memories. Did you hook it on that twin power?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JMac83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 9:48pm
JMac83 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Good day out there today, joined Tele out on the edge of tiri channel, snapper on the chew fairly consistently, again nothing too big, fish look to be in great nick thou, piling on the fat for winter. Stoked with my new yak! having only fished from a 4.5 prowler previously, the PDL is a game changer for me, super comfy and easy to manoeuvre, sat comfortably on 7-7.5kph on the way out, with a leisurely 6.5 on the way in. Hoping as I get fitter, I'll be able to cruise 7.5 all day. Still not as fast as Tele on that bloody stealth thou๐Ÿ˜‚ great to come in completely dry too! Looking forward to meeting a few of you lads out there in the future!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 7:14am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Page  <1 700701702703704 849>