Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 658659660661662 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 1:46pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice fish Yves!

I really struggled on Saturday, lots of sign on the sounder and some surface activity but hardly anything on the bottom.

Had a bit of excitement just after noon, was softbaiting and not getting any action, so I was winding the lure in to head home and a large kingfish grabbed it.

He towed me from 15m out to 30 and finally cut me off on a craypot after several attempts.

The reel was absolutely howling and at one point he had nearly all the braid off the spool.

The spool was hot to touch afterwards!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 3:46pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 4:46pm
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Congrats Yves, what a way to finish the day! I hope got a pic or two ? Its always a good paddle out there though I reckon, even if you don't come home with much, great scenery in and around all those islands, love it. I was actually gazing wistfully across that way on Saturday morning (whilst catching bugger all) dreaming of big spring reds, probably right about when you were landing one!
Thats sounds like a bit of excitement Tele, must have been  few choice words when he busted you off!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 8:52pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done Snapperdapper that's a great fish. A measure for me to aspire to this winter.
Telecaster those big kings really don't play fair round that area. Been dusted at Leigh a few times by them in last 30 years even on heavy gear. More than odd horse hanging round there and plenty of cray pots and even more sharp rocks. Hard luck. Remember one we caught years ago had about 6 hooks and broken traces adorning its gob . Longest trace was a fairly heavy one about meter still hanging off it. Fish would gone 70 lb if it had had condition but from memory went barely 50 lb.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 9:43pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Well done Yves!!
Big paddle, surely not from red beach all the way?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapperdapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 3:48pm
snapperdapper View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah BMY it was pretty ideal out there on Sunday- not much wind, overcast, no current... Arms a bit sore still :-) Bizarre- I cant seem to upload pics. It previews and when I press "ok" it goes blank...

Hmmm Kingy next- sounds like youve been doing quite a bit of recon work up there Tele Big smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 3:53pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapperdapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 3:57pm
Gold
Gold

ah there you go- it wanted PNG's for some reason...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 8:17am
Platinum
Platinum

Wow hes a long sleek racer! How did you cook it?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapperdapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 3:38pm
Gold
Gold

so many, delicious ways :-)

First up I deep fried cutlets of the fillets in a beer batter- kids freaked out. We had this twice! At the same time I smoked the head, wings and frames and froze for future Fish pie. Wrapped fillets in phyllo pastry with a cheese sauce yesterday...And of course I shared the love with my inlaws! he he he. It was a firmer fish, but I really enjoyed the change in texture :-)

I reckon your Stealth wouldve made short work of the paddle..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 4:07pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 8:38am
Platinum
Platinum

Oooh yum, thats it I'm heading north tomorrow morning, not the same spot but a little further up. Nothing wrong with those larger fillets aye, I usually slice them thinner so they don't need much time in the pan. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapperdapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 9:09am
Gold
Gold

I havent tried those yet Dan, can you flick me a recipe? Good luck up North Wayno- I reckon I'm going to take it easy this and try local for Gurnard Tongue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MichaelK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 1:28pm
MichaelK View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Phew....well it has been awhile but I am still around Winkbeen busy getting the new tackle box sorted out and a couple of other things on the hop Confused but have managed to finally catchup on all the goings on and seeing the good fish being caught....gutted missed the gurnard comp but hey thats what happens when you dont keep up....look to finally have a free weekend coming and forecast looks good next weekend......so time to dust of the gear and get out there and get some of the winter snaps.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 4:49pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Anyone else keen to have a crack at this comp?

I'm gonna give it a go.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 5:34pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 4:05pm
Platinum
Platinum

Only got out for a couple of hours on Sat morning, nice day but no keepers. Some sporadic bird action coming and going but only small KY on the top, nothing underneath.
Anyone else have any luck?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 6:22pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 6:50pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Didn't get out either. Had a chesty cough and cold all weekend. But as the soccer finished on Saturday morning (France and Belgium victorious.. now can't remember which order) I looked out window and saw no wind. Thought how nice would of been to go catch a few snappers, then retired to bed for a long sleep.
In between soccer games I watched alot of the rockkit kit kayaking fishing videos. Love his stuff. Was my inspiration for recent purchase of a penn 25N fathom the other weekend from Gofish.. perfect reel for me to target spanish and spotted mackeral, longfin tuna, cobia and GTs off ECBs as water continues to warm up ln next year or so. And if can't find any of above targets I reckon it will be useful overhead to heavy strayline, live bait and jigging for kings,etc., or dropping and retrieving sabikis into 50 meters to catch marlin livies.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 9:27pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Page  <1 658659660661662 849>