Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 590591592593594 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 10:44pm
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What you thinkin Dan...?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 6:15am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 8:57am
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah be easy to get caught in traffic. Not sure I'll get out again this weekend, got a bit to do on the house at the moment.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 12:23pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 4:52pm
Platinum
Platinum

Good work Dan, once again you've mastered what us mere mortals have failed dismally at! While I hate you just a little bit right now, I'm glad you've proven there's nothing wrong with that spot, it's just the fishermen!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 7:43am
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice Dan, another good outing.

I braved browns bay on the incoming tide, and all the boat traffic monday afternoon. 6yr old on the back and 9yr old on a small yak. Bait and burley For them and the SB for me.
The boys managed 2snapper and a shark which they were happy with. Nothing caught worth keeping though.
Keen for next Saturday as the moon is coming onto full.....expecting the fishing to get better.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snapper_Stalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 12:43pm
Snapper_Stalker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I hit Narrow Neck again yesterday morning. Absoultley prefect conditions. Managed a couple of nice eating sized snapper early, but the bite died off quickly and I only had few nibbles on the soft baits after 7:30am. 

I stayed out there until 9:30am drifting around and even trolled a couple of lures along the Takapuna cliffs on the way back in, but the only action by that time was from all the boats zipping around. 

NN is very convenient and is producing a few fish which is nice, but it's not really fulfilling my sense of "adventure" so to speak. Will have to eye up some new hunting grounds over the coming weeks, assuming the weather continues to play ball.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 6:24pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 8:57pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bays can be hard this time of year although did notice workup of terns and gannets while having a swim tonight. Always good sign .. bound to be a few more than legal snaps and odd king taking up new residence in next few weeks I suspect.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 9:35pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 10:07pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Quite true that Dan ... best snapper fishing is probably july august and sept, when hardly anyone does it. However do rememder some cracker arvos some years ago in late feb when there were big workups with solid snaps and odd respectable king and JD in first few years of softbaiting. Come to think of it most were after work sessions.
Sadly currently I'm so tired and despondent from weekends of driving aimlessly all over the ocean towing plastic to no avail to go for an evening paddle. But I will be back and could do with feed of fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snapper_Stalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 11:34am
Snapper_Stalker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the info guys. Any yes Muppet, north of Whangaparaoa looks like some coastline I really want to explore. I just have to pick my time when the family isn’t going to miss me too much if disappear for most of the day.  I better start building the brownie points!

Is it also worth the extra paddle from NN and prospecting around closer to Rangitoto? 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 4:43pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 8:07pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 8:51am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nice work boys I am busy all weekend but planning on heading out after work tomorrow. Any recent Intel around whangaparaoa?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 8:57am
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good summary Dan. Thanks for the invite.

I initially called the hammerhead a kingi, then when it shot to the surface 30m away I saw a flash if silver and called it a kahawai. Then when heaps of weight came on again I was thinking shark.......this moody beast came up under the yak and it was close to 1.5m long. Stroppy too. I cut the trace at the swivel rather than risk it jumping into my lap.

I took my live baits home for a future smelly bait session and had 11. My little live bait chilly bin does well to hold that many.

The kingfish was nice for dinner and the kahawai will be fish cakes👍🏻
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JT Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 2:40pm
JT Yakker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Short TR - Explored from Ti Point to Leigh Reef this morning for a good feed.  Both Kingies went 95cm.  Snapper were 45 and 50cm Thumbs Up.  Loving the new yak Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 2:53pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 10:47am
Platinum
Platinum

Good result there JTY, how did you catch your Kings, on live baits? if so how do you manage them on the Stealth? I tried putting a collapsable bucket in the dry hatch behind the seat but it a little too small when the Macs are big, and I usually end up with a few dying, despite regularly refreshing the water.
Is that a 525 or 575?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JT Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 10:07pm
JT Yakker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey BMY,

Yep, the Kingies were on Jack Macks.  The kings were really light on the bite on Sunday morning Disapprove.  They would harass the livie for quite a while before taking and even then, I had to wait a good while longer than normal before slowly increasing the drag on the TLD15 to ensure the circle lodged properly.

I have the collapsible bucket as well.  Works ok for 2-3 Jack Macks but your right, pretty limited after that.  I've been using the Stealth livie torpedo for a while now.  I had half a dozen big fat Jack Macks in there on Sunday.  Wouldn't put any more in though.  I think it stresses them too much when overly congested.  Nonetheless, it has been working well and it only reduces your paddling speed by about 1km/hr.

As you may have hear, Stealth is looking at bringing out a mountable in-hull livie tank Clap!  Looking forward to seeing how this works as targeting Kings with livies is my favourite method of fishing at the moment.

Yeah mate, 525 Big smile.  After drooling over this beast for 12 months, I finally took the leap.  No regrets.  Friggin loving it!!!  Installed a running rig tonight so it should be all set for the forecasted Easterlies up North this weekend.

What Stealth do you have mate?

Page  <1 590591592593594 849>