Auckland Yakkers

Page  <12345 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2008 at 3:52pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Dont give up Pizzaeater just try to refine your technique. Always use a drift chute to slow yourself down, cast ahead, use the correct size jighead weight depending on current etc, and keep in touch with the softbait so you dont miss any bites. Try and go out with some others who softbait and follow their styles if they are catching.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2008 at 3:55pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2008 at 4:38pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Got spanked bay a pretty reasonable fish that took a soft bait early yesterday morning down walking the rocks between castor and cambos. nothing after that but tide did come in and push me off my spot. I think they are there... 
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pizzaeater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2008 at 8:12pm
pizzaeater View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah I was using a drift shoot but drifting really fast today (need to make a bigger shoot) with quite a strong wind when I first went out. Tried to postion myself to drift close to the rocks where all the rock fisherman go (it was high tide so they were covered).  Did that for a quite a while then saw a few birds working the next bay up and decided to head over, but by the time I got there it was all over... Oh well, it was a good fun morning though.

What colours/types of softbaits seem to be working for people at the moment?

Yeah, squid... I had one follow my softbait right up to my kayak a couple of weeks ago off stanmore bay... Those buggers are agressive.. I was amazed the way it was attacking the softbait.. It got so close to my kayak I could have put my hand in the water and pulled it out..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2008 at 6:33am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2008 at 8:23am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hit the Browns Bay reef last nite, arrived just as another yakker was leaving. Drfited around until high tide, a couple of pannies was all.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hairy Little Dwarf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2008 at 1:18pm
Hairy Little Dwarf View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by pizzaeater pizzaeater wrote:

Yeah I was using a drift shoot but drifting really fast today (need to make a bigger shoot) with quite a strong wind when I first went out. Tried to postion myself to drift close to the rocks where all the rock fisherman go (it was high tide so they were covered).  Did that for a quite a while then saw a few birds working the next bay up and decided to head over, but by the time I got there it was all over... Oh well, it was a good fun morning though

Heh heh - chasing workups is a different story in a yakLOL  If you have a sounder, keep your eyes on where it was and have a snoop in the area.  The workup is the visible action, but there will usually be something following behind picking up the bits.

You don't need a really big drogue for a yak.  Are you attaching the drogue to the pointy bits or just off the side of the yak?  If you're side on to the wind, you will still drift quite fast (More so if the current is going the same way).
The Dreaded Shark-Eating Man!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hairy Little Dwarf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2008 at 1:19pm
Titanium
Titanium

Anyone heading up north for Labour weekend out of interest?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2008 at 2:06pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hairy Little Dwarf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2008 at 2:15pm
Titanium
Titanium

Spend as much time out there at possible...need you askLOL

Was planning on bumming around the entrance to Whangaroa...or somewhere.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2008 at 2:21pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hairy Little Dwarf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2008 at 2:25pm
Titanium
Titanium

Keri
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2008 at 2:37pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hairy Little Dwarf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2008 at 3:05pm
Titanium
Titanium

Nothing wrong with it - just nice to have a change of scenery from time to timeWink

...And the armada, of course.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2008 at 3:18pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jason@kayakfishingnz.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2008 at 3:21pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yep I'd be keen to come up and have a fish up there HLD one day too (not this weekend), sounds like we might need to plan a boys trip up north...
www.KayakFishing.NZ

Kayak Fishing - It's Catching!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2008 at 3:38pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2008 at 3:56pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Pick me! Pick me!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MR MIYAGI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2008 at 7:54pm
MR MIYAGI View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

banzai,has anyone tried the taka cliffs,ive read in the reports forum that it can be quite good close in to the reef and cliffs,but the fizz boats cant get right in.Im thinking this could be yak country?tides/spots appreciated...Smile
"There was an old man from Brussels,who was hooked on Opotiki mussels...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pizzaeater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2008 at 9:44pm
pizzaeater View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey HLD, attached the drogue to the points of the yak using a running rig but the shoot I have been using is made from some old material out of the garden. It was a first attempt and although it works pretty well it could be a touch bigger.. 

I definitely see a sounder and a GPS as being the way forward... Maybe Santa will be kind this year!

Seeing you are up that way, have you ever fished of coopers beach/ around Mangonui? I was up there over christmas and saw some dude catch the biggest snapper I have ever seen off the rocks at the north end of the beach.. Next time I go up I was going to have a paddle around and try my luck...
Page  <12345 849>