Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 840841842843844 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 9:51am
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I get a few Johnnys a year I suppose, it's an interesting little strip of water with various fish living there and passing through. I saw a big shark there a couple of weeks ago getting into the anchovy action, but the oddest fish I 've caught there was a big yellow octopus, it grabbed my livie as I was going over the reef and wouldn't let go, but I took one look at it and realised it was as smart as me, so I didn't want to eat it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2023 at 8:01pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Surprised to not see you out there today HY. To be honest best day of a bad bunch.
I yakked out about 11.00 am back in by 1.00 pm. Got off beach and about 400m off was real windy. Had a plan though and slowly made my way down past another yaker, fishing off Sth reef … he went in after not long as would got pretty windy and wavy where he was. Watched him catch one possibly legal as paddled past going south. Anyway plan was get in under kenedy park cliff in middle basically and use this to shelter from wind.
It still blew a bit and I anchored in there and deployed some free spoiled tiger prawns from El Greco restaurant, scored after the big flood. Snapper I know like these things, but you need a double hook snell rig to get a good hook up, as a long awkward bait.
Came home with 3 nice snapper round 40cm plus a nice little Trev around 35 cm.
I snapped off striking a bigger snapper over aggressively on old light braid that I should replace on my Calcutta 200d….those are the breaks I guess, excuse the pun.
But happy camper I was when got back to beach. Trev shoulders made great sushimi tonight and rest chopped into few good snapper baits. Snapper crumbed and fried with chips tonight and couple fillets left over. Even though weather is crap and basically mental last couple of weeks, I had a nice time.
Saw a guy catch 50cm snap of Devonport wharf last Saturday, going for walk with wife, which gave me me little additional motivation to get out there today.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2023 at 6:52pm
Gold
Gold

Well done Shane, 40cm snaps are my favorites, I would have been out with you on Tuesday and again today, but I've got covid, so I've been isolating since Friday. 
I caught it from my mother, who caught it from North Shore hospital, I'm fine and testing negative, but it's been awful for her as she is recovering from hip surgery as well.
I'm looking forward to getting my fishing medicine next week now, it's been a tough spell with the wind.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2023 at 8:57pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sorry to hear that Dave although you are in good nick. Hope your mum gets well soon as well.
Feel like I should shout her dinner soon down our local at el grecco… you are welcome to bring her a long. We can talk fishing and bore or entertain the restaurant. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2023 at 9:10am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I am hanging out for a paddle - got Rotorua marathon next weekend then I can take some time off from training and get out there. There have been anchovy workups with kahawai in attendance around Whangaparaoa the last week or so, should be some good snapper lurking around hopefully.

I did have a fish off the rocks on the outgoing tide on Monday but nothing legal caught, and lots of hooks lost to snags.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2023 at 10:39am
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good to see you guys getting out to some success over the weekend despite the weather. 
Started feeling a little colder now, carrot season will be here before we know it. 

I had a slightly different kayak fishing trip with my brother on the Monday. We were staying in Leigh and the place had beach access along with some small viking "Pacer" kid's kayaks. Which we decided to paddle 500m to a nearby rock ledge. 

Christ those kayaks were uncomfortable, you had to engage your whole core to stay up in a paddling position, luckily it wasn't far. We managed to get to our spot, haul the yaks up to a safe place and set a burley trail. 

My brother caught a nice 45cm snapper right away. I followed suit and caught a big kahawai on the handline before setting up my rod. Soon enough, I caught a pan-sized snapper which got seriously harassed by a big ky trying to eat it.

I threw out a whole pilchard and hooked something decent which pulled a good amount of string. It was a nice tussle, which turned out to be a fat ~60cm unit. It was too big for our little net, so had to wait for a swell and drag it onto the rocks. Fortunately it was really well hooked, with the hook actually buried deep in the outside of its face, below the nostrils. 

We didn't have a lot of time, the weather had turned to custard somewhat and tide was getting high, so we decided it was time to head back. Home by 9am. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hopkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 8:38pm
Hopkins View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Well done on the fishing lately lads, that's an cool mission kingaling.

Have had to work hard to catch a feed at Orere Point so far this year but always bringing home 3 or 4 snaps around the 40cm mark.

Managed to get out on ANZAC morning, watched the sunrise and got stuck into the best fishing I've had for a long time. Was a fish almost every cast and constant takers of the slider out the back. Had five in the bin then double hook up, a nice 60cm snap on the softbait and a 50cm on the slider. Off the water by 9am with fish for the whole week.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hopkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2023 at 8:39pm
Hopkins View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2023 at 8:14pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That’s great fishing Hopkins, well done on getting out there and smashing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hopkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2023 at 9:36am
Hopkins View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yea thanks Shane been about a year since I had fishing like that, have been plagued with at least one of these milky fleshed snapper everyone is talking about since November last year.
Bit concerning when a area you think you know well and always produces year after year changes drastically, I thought back in November it was all the rain but seems there's a few things at play.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 4:39pm
Gold
Gold

I was walking along Campbells yesterday at noon and there were big boil ups close to shore, the kahawai were driving the anchovies onto the sand. I was hoping for more of that today, so
I was out at 7:00am, and did quite well with a metal lure, catching all I needed by 8:00am, I then caught another 20 snaps and kahawai and released them, because I had nothing better to do. 
Since the beach looked so fishy yesterday, I thought I'd bring my kingie rig out today: an Ugly stick with a Slammer, 30lb braid and a 60lb trace, which was tied with the most beautiful FG knot I've managed. I didn't have a livie the right size at the time, so I put a big steak of kahawai on the circle hook hoping for a big snap, the fish I got was big, but it had big teeth, it came to the surface and took a look at me then took off, it was a 6ft bronzy, I was hoping it would bite off the 60lb trace, but instead  it towed me around for 15mins with the drag cranked up, until my arms were knackered and I cut it off close to the yak. 
The fishing was a tonic today but dragging the yak up Beach rd almost killed me, it was my first outing since getting covid a few weeks ago, next time will be easier:)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 5:07pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

nice catch there mate, fish look fat as
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 9:53am
Gold
Gold

It was good to see some well fed fish and a bit of bird life, after a month of crap weather and no fishing, even paddling the yak was fun.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 8:32pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice work Dave,. I got invited out on few triips on Saturday but declined as was tired and wanted a sleep in as love cooler mornings to do that. Missed out really by looks!
Couple young  fellas ( one works at marine deals)  went yakking off Mathesons ( I recommended they went there Friday night) so went up and launched on Saturday morning.  They reported had got some nice 40cm snaps but got smashed off on their softbait gear by few decent kings throwing lures / softbaits into little sporadic workups. I had told them there were likely  big fish there and to be careful. They are still  learning …that is where you deploy the live bait on the heavier gear. Maybe I wasn’t clear enough by what meant by be careful.Embarrassed

Well done though getting the bronzee up near yak… you do know they can jump quite well when so inclined.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 9:50am
Gold
Gold

I didn't know that Bronzies jump, thanks for that:), a little hammer head jumped into my yak which was bad enough!
I don't use bait over summer because the little sharks are a pest, but the big ones are of course worse, it's a shame because the big baits attract the better snaps, luckily I haven't caught a shark on a metal lure or a soft bait, yet...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 4:27pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I had a big shark (assume it was a shark) on the trusty baitrunner 8000D on the weekend, damn near spooled me. Got all my line back though, and the hooks!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2023 at 5:18pm
Gold
Gold

I went paddling for exercise this morning, of course I had a couple of rods and caught and released a lot of fish too, but kept a couple as I won't be out for another week looking at the weather heading our way. 
The session was notable for the bail arm falling of my little 2500 Slammer soft bait reel, while playing a snap, it's been one thing after another with this particular slammer, could have been made in the afternoon after they were out on the turps, if they do that in China,  still I caught the bits as they flew off, so that was a bit of luck.
 Paddling out with the off shore wind was fun but it was a slog coming back into a 10+ kt headwind, the exercise I suppose, the best thing was the off shore wind had the shore break as flat as a pancake, just how I like it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 5:27pm
Gold
Gold

The water was pea green and silty, there were branches and sticks to boot, but no wind, it was gloriously flat, I enjoyed every minute of it:)
At sunrise I was catching a fish on every drop, kahawai boiled up all around my yak while I was pulling in a snap, but the boil up was moving fast, there were no birds, but I didn't follow it because the fishing was very lively where I was.
While paddling back in at full tide a pod of dolphins came over to my yak and followed me for a while, there is still a bit of live in the place.
The squeaks from my yak trolley and the snorting sounds from me, like a dolphin breathing hard, brought Shane out for a chat, as I struggled up the hill, he had his hands full today and couldn't get out, but gee it was nice:)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MR MIYAGI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 8:13am
MR MIYAGI View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Some good eaters there HY!
Got the trifecta too👍
"There was an old man from Brussels,who was hooked on Opotiki mussels...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 8:59am
Gold
Gold

Getting out in the yak with a rod is such good medicine after all this wind, and the fish is a bonus. Speaking of fish I'm still learning about dry aging, simply wrapping kahawai in paper towels and regularly changing them results in excellent flavours after a whole week, I would never have guessed. I'm not yet a sashimi master but my game is coming along.
Page  <1 840841842843844 849>