Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 839840841842843 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MR MIYAGI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 9:53pm
MR MIYAGI View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice one job on the Mac head HY!
My office is in Browns Bay and all week it has been acres of tern work ups and boil ups from my office window so I hatched a plan to hit Army Bay for an in close strayline sesh with salmon burley pellets .
On the water by 7am I decided to troll a small Rapala x-rap on my way out to the reef .
About 50 mtrs out the Rapala got hit by a good size kahawai doing its theatrical aerial stunts. Got it to the yak and the small trebles pulled as I tried to lift it in… there goes my ceviche!
Ah well… wish I had a net… Carried on paddling out with the X-rap out the bag then wham! Rod buckling over again, no aerial theatrics this time , but a big snap !
Got it to the yak and as I attempted to grab its tail it shook the bloody hooks again!!!
What a rookie… and instantly wondering why the F I didn’t have a small net I threw this lure back out and carried on padding out - Then the rod bent over again! At this stage I’m absolutely gob smacked at how this rock star lure was performing as I’d never used it before (bought it at a Bass Pro Shop in the USA 3 years ago).
The nods were fast and twitchy and a good wee fight bought on a nice trev! Tbh I thought at this stage after losing a kahawai & a snap , there’s no way the soft mouthed Trev is going to make in the yak…
I managed a gill grab and got it on board!
Wife will be happy with a trev sashimi…
Got to the reef anchored up and started throwing pellets around me, first time I’d given it a crack.. casted squid out , outgoing tide with a light southerly and everything was lining up perfectly with current & wind.
Good session unfolded with a few snaps to take home and share around.
I will definitely be trolling the x-wrap when paddling around . Oh and on my way back in another legal snap hit the rapala which I released … was a good Sunday morning, back in by 10am. Tight lines team.
"There was an old man from Brussels,who was hooked on Opotiki mussels...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 10:06pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That x-rap is a good copy of a baby kahawai Mr Miyagi!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 1:18am
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Keith C Keith C wrote:

Plenty baby kahawai round bays. Why we can’t pull a bait net for piper anymore, aye Dave. Haven’t done that since. Good little baits though.Evil Smile
Very nice use of the fish Mr Miyagi… great looking sashimi.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 7:57pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice fish Mr Miyagi,t rev's make terrific sashimi, but lucky for me I also like
kahawai, and as you see from your office window, they are boiling up along the Bays...and everywhere else.
The young Japanese American chef Taku did a recent youtube piece in NZ, a catch and eat on kahawai. He had never eaten kahawai before, but afterwards rated it among the top five fish on the planet, I'm a schmuck but I think it's great too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MR MIYAGI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 8:09am
MR MIYAGI View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

HY - I just watched Takus vid. How good! I must I admit I’m “that guy” at the end of a fishing trip that takes home the lonely kahawai left at the bottom of the bin that no one wanted! Ha! Kahawai ceviche or sashimi goes down well in my household!
The stigma in NZ around its eating quality works in my favour!
"There was an old man from Brussels,who was hooked on Opotiki mussels...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 12:44pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Keith C Keith C wrote:

Hi Keith, you're right. I think it's actually the pattern called 'Rainbow Trout' - unfortunately the biggest it comes in is 7cm, i think. The bibbed Rapalas have an amazing wobbling action in the water. Some of the Aussie rock fishos who go after tuna etc swear by the 14cm size. I've tried them for kingies and they look the part.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 10:40am
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Far out, you guys have been catching some nice fish lately

MR MIYAGI well done on the bibbed lure mate
I occasionally run the Halco poltergeist xdd 50 lure. Its a deep diver & very small in size, but its almost like dragging my drogue around.... very effective tho

Quick strayline sesh at Meola reef yesterday in 2m.
Ive fished Meola since 2018, not much now lately, but my regular kayak fishing mate fished it the day before, late evening & into the night with a full bin to 49cm
I went to my usual spot, fish pretty much straight away on the last 2hrs of the incoming, 20mins after the start of the outgoing, it was all over. Heaps of throwbacks to 32cm & strong current, needed 1oz to get to the bottom
Fresh mullet were best baits today, pillies were stink, squid not much better
Busted off by a king, snaps snagged me in the weed & the bloody paddle boarders paddled over as the fish were on the bite & killed it twice..... the reason I don't fish it as much now
Good day out, plenty of fish for us 34 36 41 & 44cm

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 12:24am
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Brother got few nice snaps off Campbells in yak today and his mate who was fishing with off a paddle board hooked a king which towed him across beach Nth to Sth before breaking him off. 
I might have a crack tomorrow as have day off.. but do have a seized Italian game reel (won’t go back into free spool or lower drag after having a bit of hard time on Friday). It needs to go to Epsom to see a man called Steve. Once sorted could maybe go out in arvo see what all fuss is about off here.  Sounds like going off! Could see birds working pretty good off here late this arvo.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 4:50pm
Platinum
Platinum

Im sure I read Steve had moved to the far north
If so, I've used Jeff Murray reel repairs, based in Titirangi / Green bay area.
Usually drop off, pickup following day or 2

https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/jeff-murray-reel-repairs_topic19545.html
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 6:38pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes talked to Steve this morning and suggested call Greg from Gofish who bought reel off and also good on reels. Called Greg this morning and dropped reel off to him shortly after, hopefully he can get it working again… lovely reel everol t-shot 50 single speed.

Got home in time after detour to marine deals (to buy another lure same one as one caught marlin on Friday) and while eating a Mairangi Bay steak and pepper pie spied Hardyaker wheeling his kayak down road. Spent afternoon in my yak near him quite a way off campbells micro jigging snapper. We’re quite few smaller models but managed 4 nice ones around 35cm. Hardyakker got his limit with at least one slightly bigger one as well. Was nice afternoon out there, good conditions but no work ups or kahawai working.  Quite few birds around but mostly flying out towards gardners.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 7:53pm
Gold
Gold

I was out testing new toys today: a Baitshark live bait tank, which worked well causing very little drag while paddling and keeping the mac's alive for hours, and a new paddle, a Viking F-light crank shaft paddle, this thing is awesome. 
 I broke my cheap  old paddle turtling but I got a good deal on a new F-light from a kayaker who won it as a prize, so I paid $400, they sell for $575 new but they're worth it! 
OMG they're great!
It great to see Shane out on the waves today, spying him on his balcony reminds me of Tony Soprano in his dressing gown getting his morning paper:) conditions were nice today, we both caught a bag of 35cm snaps on metal lures.
I had a livie out, it was eaten clean off the hook without making the reel sing, so just a bare hook to show for it, but maybe next time...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2023 at 4:47pm
Gold
Gold

Today was to be my magnificent day in March, where I caught a Kingie with a livie...
I caught a couple of Mac's, and even managed to bridle rig them, using  a long wire hook to pull the rubber band in front of the eye, then around a circle hook. I've never done it before, I can't say the fish liked it, but it did stay alive for a few hours as I trolled it around the inshore reefs looking for a Kingie, there were no workups or birds to be seen, anchovy season was short and sweet.
Finally when I stopped trolling, something took the poor Mac, but I don't know what...
I wasn't targeting snapper today, but I picked up a few on a metal lure for the neighbours, just to remember what catching  fish felt like after paddling around in circles. There was no Kingie today, but maybe next time:)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 8:46am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice consistent results there HY!

I haven't been out on the kayak for a month or so because I am right at the peak mileage of a marathon training plan. Just don't have the energy to lug the kayak around and go paddling at the moment.

Marathon is on May 6th (Rotorua) so looking forward to getting out for a paddle during the recovery afterwards.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 2:53pm
Gold
Gold

A marathon fishing session would be light relief after running the other kind, all the best. 
I don't know what el nino will bring Auckland's yakkers this season, but I'm hoping for some calm days, tomorrow looks good:)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2023 at 3:16pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm hoping for a properly cold winter - struggled to get many Gurnard and Squid last winter. Too warm and too much NE wind.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2023 at 4:15pm
Gold
Gold

It was a nice autumn day to be in a yak, the water was a bit murky but there was no wind or swell to speak of.
The plan was to troll for a king, but I couldn't catch a jack mac so I shelved that idea,
I didn't see any birds or kahawai but there were some good schools of pannies moving through, and I picked up two gurnards on a shiner curly tail, the fish were all around 35cm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2023 at 4:05pm
Gold
Gold

It was a lovely day for the yak, I went out this morning looking for a kingfish. Macs were hard to find but I caught two small ones and a huge one: a big mac:),  I rigged up the big one and paddled around the reef, before long there were boil ups all around me, the Mac got taken but it was spat out alive, so I continued with a few more laps until another big kahawai took it. I then tried soft baiting quite close to the rocks, and scored a Johnny and a couple of snapps.
 I was also trying out my overhead jigging rod, I don't use it much as I fear birds nests and prefer spinning reels, but I went out a bit deeper and got it working today, I caught a gurnard and numerous kahawai on my Daiwa metal lure. I finished with a good bag of fish but still no king, but it was exciting to see good numbers of kahawai in so close.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2023 at 5:35pm
Platinum
Platinum

Nice mixed bag there mate, I'd be happy with that, especially with the JD
Will you be dry aging the kahawai
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2023 at 6:53am
Gold
Gold

Yes Banana Boat, I'm just a beginner at this but I've wrapped the Kahawai steaks in paper towels and cling wrap, keeping it dry and chilled improves the taste over a few days for me, but it's usually eaten before then, I love it. 
I'll do the same when I get a king fish;) 
There might be another window for yak fishing in about a weeks time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2023 at 11:13pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice John Dory mate
Page  <1 839840841842843 849>