Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 838839840841842 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2023 at 4:48pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I paddled out for a fish this morning, flicking soft baits and dragging a metal lure, there were a lot of little fish to be had but the bigger ones were hard to find, still I got a few nice snapps for dinner, and my peasant palate is quite fond of kahawai sashimi . Kahawai were boiling around my yak on a couple of occasions, but I hardly saw a bird, it's been a tough week for birds.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hopkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2023 at 8:40pm
Hopkins View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sorry lads been very slack on the posts. With the wind, rain and family haven't had to much to report. Managed a few trips out on the yak and a couple on the boat over the last 3 months with mixed average results. Very jealous of the mid week and after work TRs.
Anyway things lined up for a paddle on Sunday and off I went. Been looking at a new piece of coastline for a few years and with mixed results of late thought it worth a crack. It felt fishy as I paddled up the shoreline only 50m off shore, reached the point and started casting in 4m of water. Caught and released a mid 30s snap first cast then another, decided to drop a slider down while waiting for the third cast it hit the bottom. Before I could reach around to grab the slider rod the softbait rod in holder bends right over and line starts peeling off. Clearly a good fish it took me for a ride, luckily into slightly deeper water. A 5min back and forth battle ensued before he popped up and in the net he went. The morning was stunning and the good fishing continued. Spent alot of time exploring and marking boulders on the sounder. Ended up covering about 7km.
Big boy went 65cm 13lb. Not very long but in excellent condition, had fat marbling like a brisket. Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hopkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2023 at 8:44pm
Hopkins View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hopkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2023 at 8:45pm
Hopkins View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 9:10am
Gold
Gold

Beautiful fish, great feeling getting towed by one like that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 5:39pm
Gold
Gold

I was going to do some soft baiting and fish with some livies  today, but I tested my fish finder before I left, as I routinely do, and it was dead, after pottering around with it for a while, I unloaded my soft bait gear and my new 'BaitShark–a yak tank for live bait', and grabbed a few frozen Kahawai from the freezer, I drifted around with a 7 circle hook and strips of Kahawai, the biggest two fish were caught on kahawai heads. The water was beautiful today, but there were very few people out in my patch of the woods.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 9:31pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good work HY and a very nice fish Hopkins. Makes what I do around this time of year (chasing marlin usually fruitlessly) seem quite insane, although the company and nightly happy hour(s) is still very consoling.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2023 at 8:32am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep - hard to beat a good raft-up rum session Evil Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ripples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2023 at 5:26pm
ripples View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi all, EBOP Kayak FC has its 2023 comp on 22nd April. HQ is again the Ohope Charter Club. Boundaries from Katikati to Waihau Bay, briefing Friday 7 p.m Ohope Charter Club. Main prizes include a main spot prize choice of either a new fitted out Reload. Heaps of other prizes for main categories of fish ++, i.e, $700 accommodation voucher for average weight snapper for an entrant outside the EBOP. See entry form and rules on Face book page EBOP KFC under Events or go to: 

https://form.jotform.com/220401346681852

NB, it is not mandatory to be at the briefing Friday p.m but please register and identify your fishing grounds by e mail [email protected] or text Jeff on 0212286051.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2023 at 3:48pm
Gold
Gold

The water visibility was poor, it was a shade of brown, and there were a lot of sticks, some like periscopes with a  log underneath, paddling out was an obstacle course, still it wasn't raining and there was no  wind so it was a good opportunity to be out, and floating about with the rubbish from the storm.
The fish had an excuse for ignoring my soft baits today, they couldn't see, still I got a few small snapps for a couple of local pensioners...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hopkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2023 at 8:01pm
Hopkins View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'd love the opportunity to chase a bill fish Shane and probably covered enough ground today to do so. Nice catch HY and another mid week trip....... Lucky bugger.

After last week's success another solo mission back to the same spot was on the cards. Noticed straight away the water was pea soup, we had some very heavy rain out east Friday night. With last week's confidence running high I put the muddy water to the back of my mind and tried all my softbaiting tricks but by 1030am and nothing in the bag it was looking pretty sad. With beautiful weather conditions I decided I'd give it another crack and paddle a couple kms and drift some ground I hadn't covered yet. It payed off and I landed 3 snaps between 40-50cm in quick succession. It was nearly midday at this stage and getting very hot so headed in. Covered 13kms and got some burnt legs but perseverance paid off. Can't complain with a good feed and a free work out!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 1:24pm
Gold
Gold

The soft baits have been slow in the pea soup with me too, I've been doing better with the metal lure I drag behind. When the fish are feeding on the mud they're not seeing the jerk shads sinking in the soup, but are happy to crunch shiny things in the mud, dunno, but good work sticking to it and getting a few nice ones.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hopkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2023 at 9:14pm
Hopkins View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yea funny you mention that. Two of the fish I kept where caught on a slider. Like blowing on the hot pie..... you must always drag a slider when softbaiting. 😉
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 10:02am
Gold
Gold

I got out three times last week, picked a different point of the compass and different gear each time. 
 Monday was soft baiting and dragging a metal lure, Wednesday I paddled 7kms straight out from Campbells Bay and did some jigging in the middle of nowhere, on Friday I had a session closer in with bait. 
I was hoping to catch the odd gurnard with bait, but I caught a kingie on a light rod with a small cube of pilchard on my dropper rig, the kingie measured 58cm and I released it, but it was my first for the year. The small hammerheads seem to have moved on, so I'm going to trawl some yellow tails next week. When the anchovies are in, March and April have been the best fun around the Bays.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 11:33pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Some ok snappers down milford ways Dave under tern workups... but that surge was very bad today. Good thing have daughter who can drive a boat straight on to trailer. For most of rest was carnage … we came in round 2 pm.
Went for swim round 6 … waves at  campbells massive.
I saw waves breaking every where today …into castor bay in morning (couldn’t launch there at around 8am), then taka reef where did launch  . All round nth side rangi and around back, into gardners, and even in lee off billy goat point, off billy goat swell and surge massive. Back at takapuna ramp this arvo to retrieve  .. crazy stuff as above … lot of gel coat on ramp and some alloy. Down at campbells tonight went for quick swim .. very big dumping waves.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2023 at 11:23am
Gold
Gold

Carnage at the ramp sounds scary, I saw birds working off Milford on Thursday, good to hear there were some snapps there too. 
I keep away from Campbells if the swell is over .4m and the wind over 8kts, going out is easy but they  boom in on the return, sometimes I make it sometimes not, a swim can be invigorating, but not for my reels.
I was happy to see a few more birds this week after the big storm: sooty terns flying low and a few gannets and penguins.
I'm hopeful the end of March and April will be calmer down our way... 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 4:12pm
Gold
Gold

I fished in close today, the tide was up and there was a gentle westerly in the morning, but it was dead flat under the cliffs along the Bays.
 I caught the Trev and Kahawai a stones throw from the path under the cliff between Campbells and Mairangi, I just merrily drifted along flicking my Shiner curly tail. There were very few birds but quite a few fish boiling up.
 It got a bit squally later on when I drifted further out, but it was a joy coming back to the beach with the off shore wind, a turtle didn't even cross my mind.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 8:50pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Its nice getting a mixed bag eh Hard Yakker, best eating fish those trevs are.
Also like the shiner paddletail which seems to have lost its colour popularity.
Enjoy the feed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 8:59am
Gold
Gold

I love catching Trev's on light gear, and they're great to eat, but I'm quite fond of kahawai sashimi too, especially the medium sized fish.
I've begun preparing my Sashimi by wrapping and storing the fillets in paper towels, as a beginner I've found the local fisherman FishoDavo's instructional on YouTube  helpful, the process drys the fish and improves the flavor over a number of days, I like it fresh or prepared. 
Interestingly, one of the top Sushi chefs in New York, featured by Anthony Bourdain, prepares his fish a week in advance by freezing it. I've found good tips from the Master Sushi Chef Dairies on YouTube as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 2:47pm
Gold
Gold

Figuring there might be a king or two about I brought me Baitshark with me today, it's a live bait tank that floats, I tried to catch some macs, but spent an hour catching a single mac, so I paddled out to the spot, hooked it up and it spent a further hour swimming around without a bite, but then the reel screamed, I was using a recurve hook so I let it go for a while before slowly winding, but the fish spat the bait, when I reeled it in the entire body up to the head was bitten clean off, it was almost certainly a shark bite, but since it was my only mac I rehooked the head and threw it back out, this time a nice 40cm snapp took it, snapps just love macs. 
I let most of the snapps go today, it was good fun though the conditions were nice for soft baiting, the water visibility was excellent, I could see the fish coming up under the yak. There were no birds where I was, but they will surely be there in the afternoon, but I had to come in early.
Page  <1 838839840841842 849>