Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 837838839840841 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2022 at 8:07am
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks for the lead on a fishfinder Kingaling, I'll make a decision this week. 
I've just found an electronics engineer in Te Atatu who fixes  fishfinders, Mr York Huang, so I'll get a verdict from him, if even to keep my old unit as a back up, then I'll decide what new unit I want and move this week. The Garmin echo mapping looks very detailed, having arches and the echo mapping, revealing images that actually look like fish, side by side would be great.
I'll consider a unit with a bigger screen, if it doesn't chew through too much battery power, but the echomap 45cv might just be perfect for a yak.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2022 at 9:27am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Hard Yakker Hard Yakker wrote:

Thanks for the lead on a fishfinder Kingaling, I'll make a decision this week. 
I've just found an electronics engineer in Te Atatu who fixes  fishfinders, Mr York Huang, so I'll get a verdict from him, 

York fixed an old Navman Trackmaster for me 11 years ago - I put a limit on the repair bill to make it worthwhile repairing. Unit is still working in my boat today (yes, I know its old tech, but good enough for what I need)
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2022 at 6:36pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hard Yakker
Good luck with the fix mate
I took my old lowrance elite to the same fala years ago, had water ingress, fixed it, but failed few weeks later, fixed again at no cost, then died..... just one of those things, nothing to do with his workmanship. FF was 6yrs old at the time, I was third owner of the yak at that time & got 3yrs out of the FF

Went out today to my old haunt - Meola reef
Was hard going, got a few keepers to 38cm, it stopped around 630am. Just explored around after that, marking new spots for next time
Its about 3 weeks too early for this spot for consistency
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2022 at 7:32pm
Gold
Gold

I got word from York that the cpu in my Striker 4 was shot, so I've upgraded to the Garmin echomap uhd2 55cv, twice the price of my old unit, but it will be nice to have a split screen with a map and sonar. The 55cv is just big enough to make a difference for me over the smaller striker screen, my eye sight is fading.
 Installing the unit was a pain, on the second to last bolt my last remaining Allen key flew out of my hand and into the lawn never to be seen again...I've had to mount the bigger transducer inside  my yak, so no more water temperatures for me, but I'll take it out tomorrow for a test run and find out if I did a good job, or if there were air bubbles in the goop I attached it with. 
Fish are hard to find down my way this month, but I wouldn't mind a few for a Christmas ceviche, seasons greetings to all the forum members.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2022 at 3:16pm
Gold
Gold

I took my new Garmin 55cv out for a paddle this morning, it fired up and worked like a treat, I like it, it offers a lot more options and more detail  than my old Striker 4, I can flick between various split screens with maps and sonars with ease, it's very easy to use.
I ended up with 2.6kg of fillets for the Christmas ceviche, so it was a morning well spent. Snapper like fresh kahawai, fancy that:), I picked up a small one on my Flee on the way out, and caught six snapper with the baits from that one fish, but they wouldn't have a bar of my soft baits.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2022 at 5:32pm
Gold
Gold

I went for a paddle off the Bays this morning, and had some fun with my 14gm Flea, the snapper were loving it, there were a lot of little snapps about, I picked up a few of nice eating size for my neighbour, who's lending me his trailer for my yak trip north. 
Too much fishing is barely enough!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2023 at 11:23am
Chee View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Haven't yakked for a while inner Gulf, but recently managed a paddling along with 6 dolphins at Coromandel.
This week is not optimal, but the summer is still long.
Seeing you all tight lines in new year
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2023 at 4:27pm
Gold
Gold

I was on the water at 6:00 this morning, my first paddle for the year, I was keen to try out  new equipment, but the fish weren't helping much, they were hard to find and hard to hook. I quit soft baiting after an hour or two of nothing and picked up a few mac's on my sabiki, I then set up my new Kotare soft bait rod with half a Mac and a 7 recurve hook, I set the drag to medium to let the fish hook themselves while I tried my luck on my other  rod with a Weasel lure. 
  The fresh bait seemed to work, I picked up a  couple of  snapps on the macs while I played with the metal lure, then something just smashed the Kotare, the tip touched the water and the butt of the rod snapped before I could grab it, luckily it was tethered to my yak, what ever hit it was in a hurry, the reel went for a good swim, but it was my Penn IPX8 so I'm hopeful it will be ok, but the rod is brown bread. Who knows what it was, the fish spat the bait.
While inspecting the broken rod, another fish grabbed my Weasel and took off, it was the 61cm snap, a good size for the local patch, it was hard to land as it got tangled in my drogue, not fishing for a couple of weeks and I'm as rusty as hell. 
I wasn't expecting much today, it being summer, the season of jet skis and hammerheads, both of which circled my yak, but I've got a few good fillets.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2023 at 9:46pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good fishing Dave, heard you were out , my brother saw you pulling yak up road. That’s a nice snap on a micro jig. Shame about one you lost and breaking butt of rod off. I have a spare bottom section softbait rod lying round which may fit tip if two piece. Otherwise bound to be another rod out there you’ll no doubt wish to try. Shame also burnsco sale finished today as 15% off… but doubt they have rod of quality you are looking for.
I do have one you might be interested in… solid stick but very good softbait rod you can’t buy now. Drop down tomorrow night if want to take a quiz… never been used.
The one I’d part with is backbone elite original with cork grips, was my fav softbait rod… but don’t do a lot nowdays was replacement for one I snapped by point loading on a king.
Other rod you should consider given amount of fishing you do, and bigger fish now encountering using baits on softbait rod, is the offshore nz made range of light spin and softbait rods. One of best best softbait guys I know uses those …and they real robust and yet still very sensitive rods. I’ve seen him fish and used to post few awesome vids on here. Uses an offshore rod.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2023 at 10:13am
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice work on the fish HY, bugger about the rod! Contact okuma you never know they might help you out with something. 

I managed to get out once up north before the crap weather turned up. Got a few nice snaps in shallow, including this one which was the result of casting to a suspect looking swirl in 2m of water on the flats! 

Then while the wind was blowing a gale I went for an evening estuary trip, didn't stray too far and managed a couple trevs on micro jigs under some boat moorings. 

Went out off SP RP on Saturday evening, a few small snapper around. Was using a flea which had plenty of interest but I kept dropping fish after hooking up for a second or so, very frustrating and not sure what I was doing wrong. Drag was light and tried to just keep winding after hookset to keep tension but wasn't happening for me. I got frustrated and tried a more aggressive hookset which snapped the 10lb fluro and lost the jig Angry

Trolled a livebait around for a while but no takers. 

Happy new year all 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2023 at 11:25am
Gold
Gold

Looks like you got the big snap on your own skute, terrific fish Kingaling. Except for the beauty of the water and the light...and the fish, kayak fishing in the morning has little going for it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2023 at 2:12pm
Gold
Gold

Fished in the Hauparua lagon and Rahui islands wanted to fish around Moturoa island, but I turned back because the swell was too big
 I'm staying in a batch on the Hauparua inlet near Kerikeri, I know nothing about the fishing up here, the batch is a couple of kms away from Moturua island, I was hoping to fish around Moturua today but  couldn't get out as the swell was about 1m and was getting a bit wild for me, so I played it safe and fished in the Hauparua Lagon and around the Rahui islands, I was casting soft baits into the wash and caught a few nice eaters in 2m of water, if the wind drops this week I'll go further out, it was fun exploring a new patch though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 7:34pm
Gold
Gold

I went out to Motoura island, I left quite early and the swell was big but the wind was manageable, then the swell started barreling through at 6ft and the winds were gusting to 25kts, it was full on, I could see plenty of fish on the sounder, it was just the fear of death that stopped me fishing, I was holding onto the paddle for dear life, I dropped one  metal lure into a large school of fish and caught a 40cm right away, but then put the rod away, gripped the paddle and focussed on paddling the hell out of there.
 I'm uncomfortable when the swell picks the tail of a 4.7m yak up and hurls it, still I'm glad I gave it a crack today as I probably won't get another opportunity here...ever,  fishing around Moturoa in a yak would be awesome if the wind was under 5kts and the swell was .2m:)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 8:40pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Its a big paddle round trip. Hope you get an opportunity to come back and fish it in calmer conditions. I know a few yakkers that have got some good string pullers there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 10:10pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Way to go Dave, stay safe out there. New areas always take a bit of sudsing out. Challenging conditions at moment, you wouldn’t been out here today, white caps in abundance.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 3:23pm
Gold
Gold

It was good fun to be out today. 
I caught my fish before 9:00am on the incoming tide, all were caught on  Wessels, I was drifting and fishing with two rods, I dragged one lure and actively fished the other, the rod holder caught the bigger fish, but I landed more actively fishing. 
There was the occasional problem when the rod holder and I hooked fish at the same time...then something really odd happened, a fish got stuck under my yak, it had some weight to it, but I never saw what it was, it came right up under my yak, when I grabbed the trace to pull it in by hand, the line broke at the knot on the lure, it had me scratching my head. 
 The water visibility wasn't crash hot, which is why I went for metal lures not soft bait, but there were quite a few boil ups and birds about, but they were moving very fast, they surrounded me at one point but all I got were a few small kahawai, which will be great bait for another occasion. 
When I came in to the beach I had a chat with another fisho while packing up, he was complaining that it costs him $100 to take his boat out, and I was getting better fish in a bloody canoe, hehe the fishing was good today:)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 7:17pm
Gold
Gold

I got out for a quick session this afternoon, when the breeze changed from south to east the water glassed out, and it was bliss. A large pod of dolphins were working in close along the Bays, they did a loop and went back out to Rangi, on Wednesday the orca's were in close at Campbells Bay , about 200m of shore I'd say, there were a number of stingrays hiding right up at the shore line, there's still a bit of life in the place, despite the efforts of Sanford's.
 I picked up some nice snapps, a Kahawai and a Trev, and let a lot of small fish, including a gurnard go, a couple of big fish got away, a large kahawai smashed my shiner curly tail soft bait and bolted, then it jumped and four or five other kahawai jumped with it, it was nice choreography,  but then my braid broke, I'm guessing there was a nick.
Don't know when I'll get out again...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 7:36pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I've never poked my nose in here - well not that I remember - but some very cool stuff! Do any of you guys fish the Manukau?
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 7:53pm
Gold
Gold

I've fished the Manukau a few times while holidaying out west, but never in a kayak, Banana Boat is our kayaking  Westy, 5m white pointers keep him sharp.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 9:10pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Hard Yakker Hard Yakker wrote:

I've fished the Manukau a few times while holidaying out west, but never in a kayak, Banana Boat is our kayaking  Westy, 5m white pointers keep him sharp.

Hehe yeah Bananas is a good guy. Pity he's scared of sharks.

Like all of us Embarrassed
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Page  <1 837838839840841 849>