Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 836837838839840 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Richie99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 11:25am
Richie99 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

So I was going to go out yesterday in my kayak that I recently put rod holders onto but I got out past the breakers and the kayak was just leaning to the side for some reason, I tried to shift my weight around and lean the other way but it wouldn’t help it. So my friend and I just did a shirt paddle out to the pontoon and we’re fishing from there with some burley. He caught a couple snapper like 15cm haha so we released those. Then some piper showed up in the burley trail so he quickly paddled in to get a sabiki rig while I fell hooked one but by the time he got back they had moved on unfortunately. So a bit of a bust trip but still fun!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 12:33pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Was there any water in the kayak when you got back to shore?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 4:06pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I launched late this morning,  while leisurely  setting up and waiting for the wind to drop, a big dog called Jack came over to my yak and piddled on it, his lady owner was most apologetic, but I was pissing myself laughing, anyway it was a good sign as I paddled out a bit and caught all my fish between 8:30 and 9:00am, with a fish on every cast.
 The only odd thing today was that I went through a packet of Zman  curly tail shiners, a few times a fish was on but the zman was gone?They bit one clean in half, 35-38cm snaps with sharp teeth. I usually get a few sessions out of a single soft bait, but they  chomped through them today.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 3:54pm
Gold
Gold

A few nice snapps up to 50cm today, I left my net at home, on purpose, but I've forgotten how to gaff a fish, I need more practice, so more fishing I suppose, the fish were laughing at me today. 
I went over to Rangi, the boats were bigger and so was the wake at the edge of the shipping channel, but I caught the same fish, plus quite a few keepers that I released. I might have done better with a fish finder though, my Garmin went dead, it's not the battery so it's something else...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 9:02pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Any birds working Dave? 
Looked good out there last night, nice and blue, but didn’t see any birds fluttering around or gannets diving.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 9:14pm
Gold
Gold

I didn't see any workups, but a gannet landed like a mortar shell a few metres from my yak. Gee it was nice this morning, I didn't use my drogue, it's a treat to be out on the yak in beautiful conditions, next Tuesday is looking good:)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Richie99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 8:17am
Richie99 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

No there wasn’t. That’s why I was so confused as to why it was leaning
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 9:04am
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Hard Yakker Hard Yakker wrote:

I might have done better with a fish finder though, my Garmin went dead, it's not the battery so it's something else...

Nice effort yet again, RE the fishfinder, check the leads as I had corrosion work itself up the battery leads. Had to cut back and re-attach the spade connectors. 

(I left them attached to the battery, which apparently accelerates corrosion) 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 10:49am
Gold
Gold

I've just had a play with my Garmin, the power cord plug socket at the back of the Garmin has a faulty connection.
I've soaked the corroded plug in white vinegar and poked around with a pin to clean it, it works, but for how long? 
I'd guess it needs a new four pin plug, I'll go to Jaycar first and see if I can buy a single  four pin plug socket, but a new cable set at $35 with sealed plugs would be ok too if it fixes the problem for another year.
 I've tried to look after the plugs, but obviously not well enough.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 8:49pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Try CRC/WD40 on plugs with dud contacts.  Seems to flush the salt out and improve the conductivity - not sure how, but works for me.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 6:06am
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

I have the Garmin Striker and there's always the one pin which goes green if I don't look after it after each trip. I think its the negative and is more prone to electrolysis. Anyway eventually it needed replacing and Burnsco have the whole lead and plug for around $30.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 4:37pm
Gold
Gold

It was hard to catch a fish today, the water was murky, I was trying out a new Daiwa slow jig, it caught my trousers,the net and finally my finger. My hands are accustomed to fish spikes and hooks, but today they are nipping and my finger has swollen up.
  It was a bad day to be out as countless thousands of gallons of blind mullet were released by the recent downpour, most Auckland beaches are closed for swimming, but Castor Bay was ok, anyway I'd guess there is a little something extra in the water if the reaction of my hands is any indication.
 I wasn't getting much action on the drop with my soft baits, so I switched my jerk shad to a heavier curly tail, and caught dinner bouncing it along the bottom. My sounder is working again, so I was able to see the big schools of bait fish: kahawai and jack macs I'd guess, and the usual little snapps.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 9:15pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bloody hell dave those Diawa slow jigs must have very sharp hooks. Bad news re infection- suggest a good antibiotic cream. Used get a few infections in blisters ( too much reeling on the new tiagra handle it was … but boys thought it happened in my tent) and also cuts while game fishing … sometimes long way from anywhere… they can get nasty rapidly. Good antibiotic cream underneath and change dressing regularly is good way to treat.
Anyway some nice fish you got. Good to hear sounder going again… hand will heal quick with right treatment… whereas electrical stuff with sounders can be hit or miss.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 4:02pm
Gold
Gold

Who flicks the switch that tells the fish the bite is on, forgot today, it  was hard work for me, I caught two fish and had to throw one back. December is not great at the local.
I'm taking the yak to Kerikeri in January, fingers crossed the weather is good, it will be exciting fishing  a new strip of coast, I'm pretty comfortable with the basics, so bring on the fish:)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snapper_Stalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 1:38pm
Snapper_Stalker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by piwikiwi piwikiwi wrote:

I have the Garmin Striker and there's always the one pin which goes green if I don't look after it after each trip. I think its the negative and is more prone to electrolysis. Anyway eventually it needed replacing and Burnsco have the whole lead and plug for around $30.

I've had this problem in the past. It's solved by not leaving power connected that cable once your off the water. Leaving power to the plug when disconnected can cause galvanic corrosion. Especially in salty conditions.

After I went through my first cable in a little over a year, I came across an online post explaining the issue. I now unplug the battery from the power cable as soon as I get home from a fish. I haven't had corrosion since and it's been 6+ years.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 3:32pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Yeah I disconnect as soon as I'm back on the beach but it still can go green if i dont crc or lanocote it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 5:59pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I thought dielectric grease would solve the corrosion probs with the connections ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 6:53pm
Gold
Gold

I bought a new battery, then replaced my power cable, the old one was slathered in dielectric grease and disconnected after each use, but then my Garmin Striker 4 died, it all happened within a week.
 My Garmin was three years old so I'm looking to get a new unit, Garmin has no maintenance service in NZ, they replace units within their warranty, but beyond that they are not interested. Does anyone have thoughts about a great fish finder for a yak, I thought my Garmin was a good unit, but I'd consider any brand?
I went fishing at the southern end of Milford beach today, not having a fish finder I anchored at a random spot and used pilchards for bait, bait fishing is a messy business, strictly for the enthusiast, but there are worse things to do than catching a few fish. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 8:16pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Which ever brand of FF you get, I would suggest getting a splash visor cover for it
https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/protective-covers/rob-fort-fishfinder-cover-with-shade-visor-for-kayaks
At the back of FF where the connections are, the wrap around cover at the rear of the unit keeps that area pretty much completely dry.... recommended
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 10:29pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

KingiFiddla knows a guy who won a echomap 45cv, but doesn't have a use for it he's selling it. I think he wanted $400 for it. 
Page  <1 836837838839840 849>