Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 835836837838839 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 8:54am
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Then there's this one on the stickbaiting / sluggo front: 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 10:46am
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The Shimano spin-jigging rod and the Okuma 10-15kg softbait rod both look perfect for your purposes:).
I bought a new softbait rod myself last week, an Okuma Kotare 6-10kg, it has a nice feel.
 I asked the youngster in the shop what his favourite softbait rods were, and then picked them up, put a reel on, flicked them around-I have barely a clue how to choose a rod:), but I'm glad I did this--I was killing time waiting to pick someone up, as I was really struck by the different  feel the rods had, I went with the Kotare because I liked it best, I couldn't put it into words exactly what that was, it was the weight, the balance, the whip and god knows what else.  Catching a fish on the rod has revealed even more, but picking the various rods up was helpful. I've bought most of my rods online, got lucky with a few and unlucky with others, some have only been used twice, I just don't like them.
So my schmucks advice is go to the shop and flick them around a bit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 10:50am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kingaling Kingaling wrote:

Cheers Shaneg.

Looking for recommendations on a hybrid live bait rod if anyone has any feedback.. will be an upcoming bday present. 

Trying to decide if I want a light stickbait / livebait spin rod, OR a jigging / livebait rod (and then slow pitch or mechanical??) 

It's a tough choice. Covering all bases with one rod can be done, but it's not ideal. Having been through the same decision making, I'd choose a rod based on what I'm going to use it for most. 

You can jig with a stickbait rod, but it gets tiring quickly. What is this heresy I hear you ask? Ultra short jigging rods are an Australasian thing. On the west coast of the USA, they use much longer rods for a similar style of kingfish jigging. 

Conversely, you can cast lures with a jigging rod, again, not ideal, but it can be done. I don't think I could work a stickbait with a very short rod, but big softies are no problem, especially paddle tails which have built-in action. 

As for livebaiting, I don't think it matters. Probably showing my lure fishing bias here! I don't do a lot of livebaiting, but a free roaming livebait on braid always seems to end in disaster for me with tangles. Obviously, if you're slow trolling, fishing in strong current at anchor or very attentive, its less of an issue. Monofilament is more important than rod or reel, but that's just me. I want to stick it out and not worry about it too much. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 1:08pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Hard Yakker Hard Yakker wrote:

The Shimano spin-jigging rod and the Okuma 10-15kg softbait rod both look perfect for your purposes:).
I bought a new softbait rod myself last week, an Okuma Kotare 6-10kg, it has a nice feel.
 I asked the youngster in the shop what his favourite softbait rods were, and then picked them up, put a reel on, flicked them around-I have barely a clue how to choose a rod:), but I'm glad I did this--I was killing time waiting to pick someone up, as I was really struck by the different  feel the rods had, I went with the Kotare because I liked it best, I couldn't put it into words exactly what that was, it was the weight, the balance, the whip and god knows what else.  Catching a fish on the rod has revealed even more, but picking the various rods up was helpful. I've bought most of my rods online, got lucky with a few and unlucky with others, some have only been used twice, I just don't like them.
So my schmucks advice is go to the shop and flick them around a bit.

Totally agree, I'm just scouting options at the moment but will look to try in store somewhere before purchasing (hopefully from a smaller, local shop). 

Getting a feel for rod and making sure the reel you plan on using pairs up well is pretty important. Especially where kayak fishing is concerned. I've found that lighter softbait rods with a shorter butt section are much better suited for fishing from a kayak for example. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 9:01pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The nano matrix looks good if want to stickbait or pop little/ medium  sized lures.
But I’d go shorter more powerful rod  if looking at decent kings and flicking few top water lures and live baiting for bigger fish, plus bigger dead bait bait rod… kings like dead piper swished around.
The old go to for that is shorter gruntier cheaper ugly sticks in spin… gold serries just over $100, and you won’t break it unless run over it with your car. The ugly stick blue waters are even better if you can find one in spin, lovely guides. Fish in picture was caught on heavy overhead version blue water. Great rods.
Easier to clear tip wraps too. Will flick decent lure plenty far and still work it good enough to get a hook up, then has good power to get over fish and bring it in.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2022 at 9:33pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers for all the feedback folks. 

I've got a new kayak I'll be picking up, which is a Nucanoe Frontier 12. 
The high stability lends itself well to standing up and fishing, hence the interest in stickbaiting. 

Looking forward to turning it into a flats / mangroves hunting machine too, perhaps a bow mount minn kota or similar LOL

This guy manages some nice landbased kings on 10kg stickB/SB set https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORiOv-g1HgI  

Perhaps I do need to get two rods. A light stickbait / sluggo rod with 30lb braid for topwater fishing. And a cheap gruntier rod for livebaiting and maybe the odd bit of jigging. Though I do try and stick to the lighter side on gear, as I find more sport in it, and I think you can get away with it on the kayak (mostly).

I think i'm more interested in the topwater fishing.
I also prefer to get 2pc rods so I can break them down for travel / storage. 

Is this the Ugly Stik Gold you had in mind Shaneg? Looks good!

Wonder if I can find something similar in a medium-fast action

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2022 at 8:57am
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Paul’s fishing systems/fishingtacklesale normally carry a wide range of Ugly Stiks. Fishingtacklesale used to be Paul’s Kite Fishing and are stuck away in Onehunga.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 5:07pm
Gold
Gold

It was good to see the Admiral out there today, Shane god bless made an rare appearance on the waves, but he left early so missed my heroic, majestic  surf to shore, the waves were at least .2m high but I was masterful, and was greeted on the beach by Campbell Bays other distinguished kayaker, my neighbour with an Olympic appetite , so I gave her a fish:), the neighbours on the other side cut our grass, so they got a couple of fish too, it was fun day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 5:32pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice Johnny and Gurnard.

Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 8:26pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done HY. Some respectable snapper and gurns plus a very nice johnie. Was beautifull morning to be out there, We all got a few but your haul definitely the best. You certainly have the softbaiting nailed and showing what a variety of species they can produce.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Richie99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 1:27pm
Richie99 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys thinking about going for a yak fish around waiake torbay… any good spots around there? If so is 20 km/h max winds ok for a kayak fisherman who has only gone once before? Not planning on going out miles for the fish. Just gonna stick around close with a mate Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 1:58pm
Gold
Gold

20km winds equals white caps crashing over the yak, which is a bit much for me to go sofbaiting, but I'm a crap kayaker. However if it's a 20km Westerly  it might be relatively flat 500-750m from shore along the Bays, so you may be able to anchor 500m out–or however many metres before it turns to white caps, and be quite comfortable. You should get a few little snapps there, that's where they live:).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Richie99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 4:06pm
Richie99 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Ok that sounds alright then as it is meant to be a westerly thanks! This friend has got a 45cm snapper here before
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 4:21pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I generally won't bother if wind is over 10 knots unless I can tuck in out of the wind somewhere. If I'm going to the effort of heading out I'd prefer to go with good conditions and be comfortable. Though I have been out in some pretty gnarly stuff a few times, not sure I'd recommend it if you're starting out. 

Sounds like westerly should be alright though. If wind is offshore, make you sure you have a leash for your paddle LOL 

Originally posted by Hard Yakker Hard Yakker wrote:

It was good to see the Admiral out there today, Shane god bless made an rare appearance on the waves, but he left early so missed my heroic, majestic  surf to shore, the waves were at least .2m high but I was masterful, and was greeted on the beach by Campbell Bays other distinguished kayaker, my neighbour with an Olympic appetite , so I gave her a fish:), the neighbours on the other side cut our grass, so they got a couple of fish too, it was fun day.

Great effort, you've really got your local patch dialled in aye? It is interesting how much more success one can have once you know the in's and outs of an area. 

For those interested I ended up getting the light stickbaiting setup (10-15kg SB rod, figured easier from the kayak and a bit more versatile). 
Have a frontier 12 Nucanoe coming which allows standup fishing aswell. 
Will rig it up with 30lb braid on my 4000 reel with "18kg drag" - Kastking Sharky III from aliexpress Clown. Very impressed how well it performed on that 1m kingy. Did help that I was over sand though. Maybe I'll get an upgrade someday. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 7:32pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Pretty consistant there Mr HY

The weekend gone I went with east auckl kayak fishing club to Papa Aroha, drank heaps laughed lots
Bunch of us went to Tuateawa, just nth of Kennedy bay
Probably the first time I was comfortable doing softies & micros..... still stuck in the past with baits, which is best on my home grounds - Manukau
Kept a 40cm snap, released about 9-10 snaps up to 37cm on softies, also had 2 unstopable runs on Kaveman 30g orange Hornet, that fell off soon after... my best ever time on lures to date... think I got this thingy sussed

Kingaling
Go the aliexpress reel eh
I have an old Kastking Valiant Eagle used for micros, got it off aliexpress.
Far out, for a cheap throw away reel, its been pretty bloody impressive. Needs a bit of grease on the drag washers to get it more silky, but as is, no complaints
I will pair it up with a proper rod to balance it out, have got an old school jig rod thats probably better with mono on it, not a combo with braid
Looking at a Penn Regiment black ops 10-74g for my micros

What combo are you guys using for micros
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 8:17pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by BananaBoat BananaBoat wrote:

Pretty consistant there Mr HY

The weekend gone I went with east auckl kayak fishing club to Papa Aroha, drank heaps laughed lots
Bunch of us went to Tuateawa, just nth of Kennedy bay
Probably the first time I was comfortable doing softies & micros..... still stuck in the past with baits, which is best on my home grounds - Manukau
Kept a 40cm snap, released about 9-10 snaps up to 37cm on softies, also had 2 unstopable runs on Kaveman 30g orange Hornet, that fell off soon after... my best ever time on lures to date... think I got this thingy sussed

Kingaling
Go the aliexpress reel eh
I have an old Kastking Valient used for micros, got it off aliexpress.
Far out, for a cheap throw away reel, its been pretty bloody impressive. Needs a bit of grease on the drag washers to get it more silky, but as is, no complaints
I will pair it up with a proper rod to balance it out, have got an old school jig rod thats probably better with mono on it, not a combo with braid
Looking at a Penn Regiment black ops 10-74g for my micros

What combo are you guys using for micros

Yeah I've had it for a while now and it's holding up well to the kayak treatment, just rinse it off after each trip and drag is still nice and smooth. 

For microjigs I just use a light SB set, 10lb or less. They do go really well on a baitcaster reel, as you can feel hits on the drop a lot better. 

Typically I just use my light SB spinning set. Cast away from the yak (preferably into a workup) enough line out to get to the bottom, I find the line angle allows some tension to feel hits, probably affects the fluttering action somewhat but still works for me. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 9:27pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Gurnard piizza
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Richie99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 8:00am
Richie99 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Haha that looks yum shaneg!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 10:12am
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

Gurnard piizza

Is that a "Fin" and crispy base? LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 3:52pm
Gold
Gold

I paddled out a few hundred metres this morning, then heard squawking behind me, terns and gulls were diving so I headed close to shore, the boil ups were moving fast I couldn't keep up so I just drifted and they came to me, there were a lot of fish and only a few birds. I was flicking  a soft bait with a light rod and 12lb line, so it was fun, I caught five or six kahawai but only kept two, kahawai sashimi is a favourite, the medium sized ones taste best for me, but I caught a couple of big ones that made the reel scream.
I then headed further out for snapper, I released about 20 fish in the 30-35cm range, I kept a few nice ones for a family gathering tomorrow. Conditions were surprisingly good today, the wind dropped for a while and it was dead flat, so making hay while the sun shines.
Page  <1 835836837838839 849>