Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 834835836837838 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2022 at 3:29pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I wonder how many good fishing days they have at Nazare? Bummer if I lived up the road there, I'd be sure to get the swell map wrong.
Although I confess to having only a slight grasp of reality, and even less of an ability to estimate the height of a waves, there are a few days a year at Campbells where the swell barrels in, people of sound mind don't fish on those days...
You did a nice job bridle rigging your little Kahawai Kingaling, is that a recurve 9 hook? It's a technique I'd like to explore, if it can be done on a yak without stabbing myself in the hand.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 3:46pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Hard Yakker Hard Yakker wrote:

You did a nice job bridle rigging your little Kahawai Kingaling, is that a recurve 9 hook? It's a technique I'd like to explore, if it can be done on a yak without stabbing myself in the hand.

Cheers mate - it's a size 10 circle hook. Actually easier than I thought it would be, had been meaning to give it a go then found a bridle needle at the tackle store on special. But you could probably just use a firm piece of wire. 

Used this technique shown to me by Kingifiddla when he kindly rigged up my livebaits for me last summer using rubber bands. 
Pretty similar to Matt Watson's here: https://youtu.be/9Fea7HZuyw8
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 6:56pm
Gold
Gold

That's a great little clip from Matt Watson, thanks. 
I actually bought a 'fishing needle' and rubber bands a year ago, but I've never attempted to rig a bait, but the video makes it look doable, so thatnks for that, but  gee that number 10 hook looks big, still it could be good down my way over March and April when a few Kingies come to town...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 7:25pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kingaling Kingaling wrote:

Originally posted by Hard Yakker Hard Yakker wrote:

Cheers mate - it's a size 10 circle hook. Actually easier than I thought it would be, had been meaning to give it a go then found a bridle needle at the tackle store on special. But you could probably just use a firm piece of wire. 

Used this technique shown to me by Kingifiddla when he kindly rigged up my livebaits for me last summer using rubber bands. 
Pretty similar to Matt Watson's here: https://youtu.be/9Fea7HZuyw8
Thanks for sharing clip,looks easy enough.and guess with running tide,bait would appear to be alive.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2022 at 4:24pm
Gold
Gold

I caught a lot of 35cm snapps today and then let them go, I didn't want to keep to many, the fish are all full of roe, but good fun was had, half yellow tails on a number 7 hook did the damage. 
I picked up bait on my way out, a few yellow tails and kahawai on my sabiki, plus a sabiki  gurnard! I didn't catch anything big today, although the reel did scream once before the blighter spat the bait, but it was great to be out on a nice day in October.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2022 at 6:39pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

bloody good mate, always good to get an easy feed eh

hanging out for a fish trip myself...enjoy the feed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2022 at 7:56pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Launched at Jones bay this morning about 6.30am. Paddled over to the edge of the channel near Fairchild reef. Picked up an easy limit of snapper all caught on an orange slider.

Pulled the hooks on a real good one, hooked it in mid water and it pulled a lot of string then the hook must have ripped out I guess.

Snapper ranged in size from early 40s to early 50s, great condition.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2022 at 4:11pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Well I had a bloody good long weekend, went out twice, caught one fish each morning but very chuffed with them. 

I had just been busted off on a big fish and was retying leader on my SB rod when this hefty ~14lb kelpy moocher smashed the small live ky I was trailing in 4m of water!

The 30lb braid / 60lb leader made pretty manageable though. 

Also managed to catch up with KF, we were towing livies around a spot for a while before he moved on and I had to head home, when ky livie got taken by a 1m king. Was a good sleigh ride and fortunately it headed out away from structure towards a 9m sandy area. 
I had the 30lb braid / 60lb mono, but it was on a 5-10kg SB rod and hard to lift the fish off the bottom. I was planning to take my time with it.. until all of a sudden the fish started coming up?! I soon realised why, as I got my eyes on the fish about 1m under my yak, a big bronzie appeared out of nowhere and it wanted its tax. 
King was trying to get away from shark, I was trying to bring it to the yak. It was a bit of a mess but I managed to "matador" the fish out of harms way about 3 times before I could get my hand on the leader, wrap it a couple times (thinking **** I hope the shark doesn't grab it or I'm going in the drink) and drag it on to my lap. 

Bit of extra excitement to top off my first legal kingfish that's for sure. You can see the teeth marks on the king's belly, it was a close call! 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MR MIYAGI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2022 at 7:45am
MR MIYAGI View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Well done TC on the snaps.
What a way to earn your first legal kingfish Kingaling, that bonus 14lb moocher too 😎
"There was an old man from Brussels,who was hooked on Opotiki mussels...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MR MIYAGI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2022 at 7:27pm
MR MIYAGI View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I went out on labour day morning myself , tucked in behind the Waiwera island , first time with a fish finder after 13years of yak fishing…. yep I’m a fan. 😎
And first time I’ve actually had a crack at the snapper wings. Holy hecka , can’t believe I’ve been throwing them out all these years.
"There was an old man from Brussels,who was hooked on Opotiki mussels...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2022 at 9:18pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

[QUOTE=MR MIYAGI] ... And first time I’ve actually had a crack at the snapper wings. Holy hecka , can’t believe I’ve been throwing them out all these years.
[/QUOTE

Yep, fish wings are great.  I served them up on a few occasions to my host AlanL recently in Vanuatu.  I normally sprinkle them with olive oil, Lemon Pepper and some Thai Seasoning however the latter was unavailable in Vtu.
There is an easy way and a hard way to remove the wings.  The problem area is the bone structure above the pectoral fins.  If you are cutting through this bone structure you are doing it the hard way.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2022 at 11:49pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice work, I've always thought about fishing there but never got around to it. 

Love me some smoked snapper wings. I've been mixing smoked snapper in to my scrambled eggs, bit of lemon juice on top. Fantastic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 4:06pm
Gold
Gold

Great fishing Kingaling!
I paddled out this morning from the local at low tide, the bite was quite lively between 7:00am and 9:00am and then it went quiet, conditions were nice for the yak though so that made a change, I got out just three times in October, I'm hoping November fares better, I didn't hook anything big today but it was a pleasure being out there, and I got a few nice sweet ones for the table.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2022 at 4:00pm
Gold
Gold

I bought a flash new IPX8 reel, which is yak proof they say:) and a nice new softbait rod, I was itching to try them out, knowing that the water visibility and fishing would be crap down my way after the big blow, but I went out anyway.
The swell and wind were a little higher than I like, but it did settle down for a spell, but gee it was hard to hook a  fish today, they snapps weren't playing their part.
I brought along a stray line rig with my new softbait set, and eventually tossed a bait over the side...I caught a bloody hammerhead, the model up from the size I feel comfortable grabbing and pulling the hook out, so while I was thinking of plan B and this damn little shark was going in circles, he bit off the double hooked snell rig, above the second hook, funny thing was 10 minutes later I caught the same fish on my softbait rig, the soft bait hook caught the line between the snelled hooks, this time I grabbed the bastard by the neck and pulled the hooks out, which I'm sure he was happy about.
I didn't leave empty handed, I picked up a few little snapps for dinner .Tuesday looks good. When the water temperature hits 18c over the next few weeks, it might trigger a bite or two I'm told.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2022 at 8:57pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice little feed there HY. 
I fished last weekend off PapaAroha with a few mates, Windy but found some shelter amongst the Islands.
Some good fish up to 58cm. Had an awesome shared dinner with some like minded yakkers on the Saturday night... thats what fishing is all about for me.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2022 at 9:48pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done Brent and Dave. I heard a squeaky wheel going past about 7.30 am this  morning after last nights blow …timing may be off, as went back to bed.
Went down round 10.30 full tide,  and few interesting waves coming in. But probably calmer when you launched Dave and guess rode in successful. You are catching some very nice fish Dave ... look forward to getting into the action soon as, and bought some jack Mack’s this arvo from Hunts.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2022 at 10:11pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fantastic fishing Kingaling. 2 fantastic fish in a session.
Great skills… neither of those come easy.
Originally posted by Kingaling Kingaling wrote:

Well I had a bloody good long weekend, went out twice, caught one fish each morning but very chuffed with them. 

I had just been busted off on a big fish and was retying leader on my SB rod when this hefty ~14lb kelpy moocher smashed the small live ky I was trailing in 4m of water!

The 30lb braid / 60lb leader made pretty manageable though. 

Also managed to catch up with KF, we were towing livies around a spot for a while before he moved on and I had to head home, when ky livie got taken by a 1m king. Was a good sleigh ride and fortunately it headed out away from structure towards a 9m sandy area. 
I had the 30lb braid / 60lb mono, but it was on a 5-10kg SB rod and hard to lift the fish off the bottom. I was planning to take my time with it.. until all of a sudden the fish started coming up?! I soon realised why, as I got my eyes on the fish about 1m under my yak, a big bronzie appeared out of nowhere and it wanted its tax. 
King was trying to get away from shark, I was trying to bring it to the yak. It was a bit of a mess but I managed to "matador" the fish out of harms way about 3 times before I could get my hand on the leader, wrap it a couple times (thinking **** I hope the shark doesn't grab it or I'm going in the drink) and drag it on to my lap. 

Bit of extra excitement to top off my first legal kingfish that's for sure. You can see the teeth marks on the king's belly, it was a close call! 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2022 at 10:27pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sorry misread 2x sessions Kingaling. Still awesome.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 8:47pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I thought you yak boys might get something useful out of Rokkit Kit's (Rod) latest YouTube clip - where he picks up his new Stealth, gets it ready for fishing through the surf, takes it out, then does a run through afterwards - talking about the way he set up and attached his Lowrance, connects his paddles via a bungy cord etc.
He's one of my favourite channels, even though I don't kayak...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 10:02pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers Shaneg.

Looking for recommendations on a hybrid live bait rod if anyone has any feedback.. will be an upcoming bday present. 

Trying to decide if I want a light stickbait / livebait spin rod, OR a jigging / livebait rod (and then slow pitch or mechanical??) 

Page  <1 834835836837838 849>