Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 829830831832833 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 1:34pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Did my first dedicated gurnard trip at Waiake with regular mate
Lots of sign on the way out to the yellow buoy 3km out. The 10m mark was just beyond the moorings, quite a bit of sign there, but kept going.
About half way to the buoy, was already in 16m, so tried there for 1 gurnard & undersize snap, then nothing
Almost zero current. I was expecting the current to rip thru there as the tidal co-efficiency was in the 90s
Originally wanted to do the Manukau, but would have been blasting thru there with the current, same would be at Narrowneck
Paddled back in to 12m, my mate got 4 gurnard while I got the odd bite
Gave up around 1030 (4hrs) gave my fish to my mate..... next time hope to be better
Don`t know the area, so no plan b
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 4:20pm
Bullet View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

That's the luck of it aye, looking from the shore it was a nice calm day out there. 
With the bigger tides I would have thought the fishing would have been hot for the carrots. 
I will get out in about 3 weeks time - hopefully they are still around as its almost time for Spring!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 5:13pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It was hot gurnard fishing where we were this morning. Took a mate out on my boat around 8am and had HY in his kayak and another mate in his tinny fishing nearby.
We fished for under 3 hours and brought home 22 and let a few of the smaller ones go.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 6:57pm
Platinum
Platinum

Wow, impressive fishing mate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 7:04pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome the gurnard are really around.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FlawOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 7:54pm
FlawOne View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wow, nice work Shane! We launched early from Castor Bay as suggested and were greeted by a pod of 20 odd dolphins patrolling the reef lines as the sun rose over Rangi. Lots of small snapper around with some Gurnies in between. Managed 7 between on us on a mixture of baits and lures.
Inner City Slayers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 8:28pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hope your launch and retrieval went well Richard.
I heard from a couple of people today that the dolphins were putting on quite a spectacular aerial display along the bays very early this morning.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 10:36am
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I got to the ramp on sunrise yesterday and it was stunning, so I just put the yak down for a moment and took it all in:  the river of jewels, the bay bathed in golden light...and then a pod of dolphins came close in and a couple  jumped out of the water:)
  But I  had come to fish, so I got in a soft baiting session while drifting over to my first gurnard spot, where a distinguished local seafarer and admiral of the kayaking fleet, Shane and his mate, passed me by in a speed boat:)
There were a lot of fish on the sounder close in but they weren't biting so I moved further out, dropped my pick and waited, when the water started to move the bite came on.
Anchored out wide, there were a lot of terns and penguins around my yak, I wondered what they were eating, or looking for, later in the day I caught a couple of small kahawai and they were stuffed full of what looked like anchovies...whitebait...dunno?, I thought the anchovies had moved on...
I got a nice haul of gurnard and quite a few snapps that had swallowed  small recurves I was trying out, the snapps were legal but I would have thrown them back if they hadn't swallowed the hooks, so I'll stop using 4's and just use  6 recurves for  gurnard. 
I stayed out a long time yesterday, releasing a lot of fish, enjoying the water and light, and dodging a family function:), but as I was struggling to drag my yak off the beach–I wasn't hallucinating I don't think, a young Chinese girl out jogging stopped  and asked if I needed assistance, she then grabbed the rear handle of my yak like an Amazonian and dragged it off the sand, there are some good old sorts at the beach.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 5:01pm
Platinum
Platinum

Far out, that's a good haul there HY

How long does the gurnard season last for
Is it strictly a winter fish as far as good numbers of them go
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MR MIYAGI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 6:22pm
MR MIYAGI View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

FISH FINDERS QUESTION-
Hey team , I’ve been kayak fishing for about 15 years with moderate results. My inner instinct was to fish as our ancestors did without the technology and more of a “feel” for the hunt and looking for the “natural” indicators for where the fish are lurking.
The appeal to me initially was the quiet and stealthy approach and the stripped back nature of being “at one” with the sea.
However…. My Neighbour has kindly given me an unboxed “Lowrance Hook 2” fish finder that he said is perfect for the yak.
I’ve had it for about 6months and have tried to curb the urge of putting it on the yak…
But I went out off Army Bay on Sunday and for the first time I started to think .. geez I’d really like to know the terrain below me as it was the first time I’d fished this zone.. snags, random drop offs, reefs, weed etc… I could see the merit in knowing the structure beneath as the fish were biting in one zone but drift 3-5 mtrs one way … nothing but weed and snags.
I am getting the fish finder fitted today after 15 years of skinny fishing -
Question - Do you guys mainly use it for structure and depth or more so looking for patches of fish? Pic attached of Army bay pannies.
"There was an old man from Brussels,who was hooked on Opotiki mussels...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 7:10pm
Platinum
Platinum

If you want to keep it al`natural, this is a good read up & has helped me a few times putting fish in the bin by observing whats around me that the FF could could not provide.
The write up is a worthy tool for any fisher person on the sea
http://www.kayakfishingnz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7053
The author of the link still fishes naturally & wins comps

I use the FF for seeking out structure / reefs & clearings if doing bait & berley, just so I can sit right at anchor
When drifting, the FF is brilliant for finding schools of baitfish, once found, drop down a softie or slider to add fish to the bin
If your FF has a gps tracker feature, even better
Hook a fish on the drift, mark it on your FF, then go back to get one of its mates
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 8:07pm
Gold
Gold

Your link brought up a 404 error BananaBoat, but it sounds like an interesting article.
I am no expert, in fact I am a schmuck, but I've  caught plenty of gurnard from July through to October, they like the cooler water and appear to be distributed through out the entire harbour! Except I'm sorry to hear, where you were fishing on Saturday BB, but I have caught plenty of them around that buoy, and snapper and sharks too. Patience and just the right amount of bastard, appear to be virtues:)
As for MR MIYAGI's passion for low tech fishing, I've occasionally had a hint of what that can offer, typically when my battery has gone flat, but yes, it perhaps focuses the mind on fishing and the conditions, rather than just staring at another bloody screen.
I occasionally go out with one rod and no fish finder, and catch exactly the same fish as when I paddle with all of the bells and whistles, but I do like to know the depth of the water I'm in, and seeing big schools on the screen is helpful for working sliders and soft baits.
I was out walking the dog around the rocks at low tide this afternoon, and bumped into one of Shane's old mates, a member of rock royalty, carrying his extremely light surf gear back  after doing battle with a couple of large eagle rays. It was a pleasure to chat and gain some tips from the great man who knows his trade.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 8:33pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

gurnard burgers…

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 8:53pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good to hear you saw Peter tonight HY… he’s very good man for you to meet regards in particular softbaiting which I know is your most preferred method. Although a great rock fisho (Peter is probably the best) was also an early adapter of light jigging  and later softbaiting. Taught me softbaiting when first came out. He’s very good if not also a pioneer and one of best at that too.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 9:43pm
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 12:09pm
Gold
Gold

Thanks BB that was a good read. 
Such a wealth of resources online,I was wondering about Zman Shiner soft baits and stumbled on a thread from this site, with great tips from Muppet...remember him?
Your gurnie burger and chips looked good mate, and yes it was nice to talk to the mystical man of the rocks. Some fishermen are clearly nqr in the head...like me:) while others have a peaceful disposition and seem calmly attuned to the elements.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MR MIYAGI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 9:58pm
MR MIYAGI View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Interesting read BB. Cheers for that.
"There was an old man from Brussels,who was hooked on Opotiki mussels...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schecter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2022 at 9:47am
Schecter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks for sharing that post BB.  I met PJ a couple time at the 3 species challenge.  He's a wealth of knowledge and a bloody good bloke too.  

Btw, what happened to Muppet?  I enjoyed reading his fishing posts. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 6:45pm
Gold
Gold

Hard to say what happened to Muppet Schecter, but it was most likely an alien abduction, they might have a gig for him teaching soft baiting on one of the watery planets, but those probes must have been a bugger.
 I went for a paddle today, but it  was hard to catch a fish, the recent big blow, the moon and water visibility? Dunno, they were all crap, but I got a few pannies and a 42cm gurnard, getting low on kahawai bait though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2022 at 6:40am
Platinum
Platinum

Nice one HY, lucky to have a reliable fishery on your door step

What was the swell like on the beach & the sea conditions further out
I looked at windy.com on my laptop, the swells looked like they may have been dumping on your local, so I wussed out
Page  <1 829830831832833 849>