Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 828829830831832 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 9:47pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice fish,looked like great day after fog cleared.

Originally posted by BananaBoat BananaBoat wrote:

Zero visibility in the fog this morning, decided to stay in close, so did Narrowneck
Bloody hard going, first 2hrs throwbacks & a 36cm snap around 930... 2.5hrs on the water
Was going to go home around 1030ish, then tried a new spot that Ive seen the same kayak fish it most times Ive fished the shallows
Got there an hr before high tide, fish on.
Fished a bit of the outgoing... was a good day in the end
Keepers of 36 37 37 44 46
Fresh mullet was the best, followed by frozen kahawai then salted pillies

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 5:22am
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice fish Banana Boat, those are my favourites for the fry pan.
Yes it was very foggy yesterday morning, I was going to paddle over to Rangi but changed my plans, so I just picked up a few fish close in  for the neighbours, my neighbours like me:) I scored a couple of nice 40cm gurnies, and enjoyed watching a large pod of dolphins swim by.
As for fishing Campbell's, truth be told it's not fishing well this year, but you could try paddling 1km straight out from Bert Potter's old house--the one he bought when he owned Pest Free Services:), or go 2kms if you want bigger fish, you may want to go 500m north or south from there depending on where the fish are, the damn things can't keep still for 5 minutes so be sure to find them on your sounder.
The short story for winter I think is to paddle out to 12 m of water, drop your anchor and berley onto a  random patch of grey mud, and wind them in...be patient and they'll come to you. 
At the sth end of the beach especially, the berley will also attract sharks and a pestilence of small snapper. I like to eat the occasional dog fish but hammer heads are bastards, if you catch one, tell him as much before throwing him back, one jumped into my yak there.
I remember fishing that spot with my Garmin tunned to fish symbols when the entire screen turned into a giant fish, there was a 3-4m shark directly under my yak, she was probably rubbing her dorsal fin across my transducer. 
What do you call the stuff that gets stuck in sharks teeth? Plastic yaks:)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 2:16pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hard Yakker
Thanks for sharing, I will give it a go next time out

Also wonder if the carrots are off Narrowneck. Ive met kayak fishers who have caught them in the direction, straight off the beach out deeper before the main channel 45cm plus & I caught one off Cheltenham beach in 5m with micros
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 7:01pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Vintage afternoon off the bays today on the carrots. Few others out including Dave alias Hardyakker who was just prospecting with new prawn softie and letting the nice snapper he was catching go. I started slow coming out round midday after fog relented. After fishing one spot for couple of smaller gurnard I saw workup out wider and anchored in that after it had finished. Took a while for pesky snapper to move away.. but then mainly gurns and some better sized ones up round 40 cm plus once they got going.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 7:49pm
Gold
Gold

Great haul of gurnies Shane.
 I had a good session too, but as you know it was catch and release day for me, I was trying out the Z-man EZ ShrimZ in Laguna, with various cheap soft bait hooks I bought on Alibaba but never used, they all seemed to work though, drifting and flicking soft baits is a hell of a lot easier than cutting baits and baiting hooks, but baits are a sure bet for the gurnies.
 I missed the boil up by half an hour I'd say, but there were still a lot of terns about when I got out, and some big schools of fish were showing up on the sounder under them.
I wonder what the boil up was feeding on, anchovies, pilchards, something else?
 It was a nice outing to just drift today and experiment with my new toys, but just after 3:00pm it turned hot, I caught a snap on each cast and released at leased 10 fish, most keepers. From where I had finally drifted it  took me 25 minutes to paddle back to shore, so I had some exercise to add to the flicking action.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 8:10pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hard to say re that work up and what they were feeding on.Unusual: yes, but few years ago there was  massive workup  in winter …mairangi through to browns … was on Saturday with plenty boats out ( was in August or Sept I think but can’t recall but was winter) they were pilchards. Guys (people had the Fish City 530 boat) were stickbaiting decent kings out of it and we’re lot of bigger than average snapper caught that morning. I was out paddling in yak that morning. Was incredible… was first thing I thought of when saw that work up today. 
I recall catching few very nice snapper that morning after paddling back up through workup activity and then stray lining baits back into it. For some reason didn’t do any good trying to micro jig them.
Be cool to see again .. maybe next weekend.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 7:32pm
Gold
Gold

When the fog lifted this morning at about 10:30am the water was dead flat, so I paddled from Campbells to Milford beach, a beach I'd never fished before.
 I drifted along the 8-9m mark picking up lots of under sized snapps, but when I reached the southern end of the beach, I fished around that pylon which is about 500m+ out, and marks the no anchoring zone between Milford and Takapuna. The fishing was quite lively so I picked up a few nice snapps for a local pensioner.
 I was using a 4in New Penny curly tail with a 1/4 oz head and 6kg line.
The wind picked up in the afternoon so I had a bit of work into a cross wind to get back to Campbells, and there was some decent swell that was moving fast, so it felt good to get back to shore without turtling.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 9:09pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

One of my mates (the jeweller) gets a few decent snaps down black rocks ways south of Milford… some great snaps down those ways (Please note this is not me trying to get you to fish a ways from campbells). Plus there is good bit of mud off Milford for the gurnards. Saw a kite fisher years ago take a lot of gurnard on a set off milford road (main entrance middle of beach). 
I think it’s great you like exploring further afield… the opportunities are endless. SmileSmile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 9:28pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Actually Dave thinking wide off here is best at moment, and further out the better, as in 40 foot plus.
Anyway this coming weekend I have been press-ganged to fish in a boat up wide of kawau… so it is all yours, and is prime time really. Lot of options and some interesting stuff happening off here.

As you said in weekend kayak fishing not for everyone.. but so good!
Be some great trophy snaps to be had wide in middle of nowhere soaking odd big bait (yellowtail or half small kahawai) somewhere about where you were on Saturday afternoon maybe slightly north and tiny bit further out or maybe or not.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 9:39am
Gold
Gold

Fishing the back of Kawau is living the dream old son, there could be some pilchard work ups about now if you're lucky. I wouldn't be surprised if the large pod of dolphins, 20+ I saw last Thursday, and the big work up you saw on Saturday were feeding on them?
 Leaping of the beach as captain of the yak is still a thrill. I think I prefer soft baiting to baits overall, but I might use a bit of that kahawai from anchovy season this weekend, little chunks work a treat on those dropper rigs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 7:57pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How did you get on today Dave? Saw yak coming up road tonite but had gone past before could yell out and was having discussion with wife why only bought one bottle of wine home and not another bottle Prosecco.. as you you know I prefer red. Speaking of which were there any big red tails in your bag?Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 6:24am
Gold
Gold

I got out four times in the last eight days, making hay while the sun shines, and tried different spots and rigs each time. Yesterday afternoon on the incoming tide I was having a crack at soaking   big baits in 40+ ft  of water, I headed out and up a bit,  no soft baits allowed, and the first fish of the afternoon was a...gurnard, a big one,  it took a large half  yellow tail with a no 7 hook. At least it wasn't a shark though, snapper like your large baits and sharks like mine:)
 I generally like fishing closer in on the incoming tide and further out on the outgoing, so I paddled over a lot of fish today, but since I avoid exercise a bit of paddling is  ok. Even when I'm not trying to get fish I still end up with a few: a few snapps and a few gurines, the neighbours are happy to get the call when the yak comes in. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 2:25pm
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Have welcomed a baby boy and future fishing buddy to the world, he's 6 weeks old and I've already bought him a fishing rod LOL

Not much time for fishing at the moment outside of a few short landbased sessions around Auckland. So I've been messing around with lures etc. 

Came up with this one which I wanted to share. Cast the lead using "Magic Sand" for kids from Kmart, and a sharpie lid to get the shape.  

Used some fly tying techniques to secure the kabura skirt some fluoro bucktail and flashy stuff. With 80lb kevlar for the little assist hooks. The octopus skirt slid over the lead perfectly and holds in place well. Weight is 1oz 

Inspired by kabura, slider style lures that work so well, but I wanted something I can quickly change out with speed clips instead of having to thread through the slider weight and re-tie. 

I'm thinking it should work casting and retrieving like a sofbait, as well as fished vertically like a slider.  

The hard part is finding time to get out on the kayak for testing.. fathers day is approaching which will be a good excuse for a decent mission. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 3:54pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Kingaling
Looking good there mate, also looks very similar to the old Zukers for yellowfin, both in size & colours... I still have one I bought in the 90s
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 5:07pm
Gold
Gold

Congrat's on your new ankle biter Kingaling, good move getting him a rod, your innovations in the skute world look interesting too...but show us the fish:)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 9:14am
Kingaling View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Hard Yakker Hard Yakker wrote:

but show us the fish:)

As requested :) 

From one of the aforementioned quick landbased missions. Wasn't expecting a 40cm trev in here. Sashimi for lunch was a nice treat and appreciated by my wife who can now eat raw fish again 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 12:07pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kingaling Kingaling wrote:

Have welcomed a baby boy and future fishing buddy to the world, he's 6 weeks old and I've already bought him a fishing rod LOL

Not much time for fishing at the moment outside of a few short landbased sessions around Auckland. So I've been messing around with lures etc. 

Came up with this one which I wanted to share. Cast the lead using "Magic Sand" for kids from Kmart, and a sharpie lid to get the shape.  

Used some fly tying techniques to secure the kabura skirt some fluoro bucktail and flashy stuff. With 80lb kevlar for the little assist hooks. The octopus skirt slid over the lead perfectly and holds in place well. Weight is 1oz 

Inspired by kabura, slider style lures that work so well, but I wanted something I can quickly change out with speed clips instead of having to thread through the slider weight and re-tie. 

I'm thinking it should work casting and retrieving like a sofbait, as well as fished vertically like a slider.  

The hard part is finding time to get out on the kayak for testing.. fathers day is approaching which will be a good excuse for a decent mission. 

This is why I still look at kayak fishing pages. Kayak anglers often lead the way in innovation. I've come up with a similar rig. I too find slider setups a pain in the arse, so run assist cord through them to a solid ring. Congratulations on the arrival of Baby Kingaling Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 3:54pm
Gold
Gold

Done, nice fish on the little blue skute.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 10:51pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Impressive that Trev… we all need to catch more like those.   There hard fish to catch best of times. Looks like winner lure Kingaling.
I am a bait guy but do a little bit lure fishing some times (skutes I am pretty limited but had few of earliest versions) but that’s a good profile and colour and maybe how you made it has a nice action.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 10:56pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That other thing .. lumo fruit salad would  definitely take tuna, and kings and big kahawai closer in, as well as odd big snapper trolled over foul ground in a yak
 Is similar to Zuker Zukini  or  the Boone lumo version .. both massively successful lures on everything. Good to have weight head.
Page  <1 828829830831832 849>