Auckland Yakkers

Page  <1 826827828829830 849>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 10:02pm
Chee View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks HY. The error and trial is pain, but I'll have to come through. Have to admit that the permutation of fishing factors seem overwhelming to me. Do you bring various tackles and change them during the day?

Went to Campbells Bay with 2 mates this morning, looking to reproduce some of your results. But I forgot my softbaits, plus the outriggers for one yak newbie. Luckily it was glassy, he had no problem on the water.

I used Ocean Angler flea silver 28g and orange 21g, a 60g slider on 3 rods. Generally it was quiet. Orange hooked a 29cm snapper about 500m from rocks, then moved to 1000m, and then back to 500m towards Mairangi Bay, the silver hooked3 tiny snappers. I moved back to rock, but no more bites.

Weather was nice, so it is still a good one.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 7:30pm
Hard Yakker View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice bag of fish Hopkins.
Two gurnies and three little snapps was all I could manage today, I didn't see you there today Chee... it got a bit squally and cold actually, but settled down for my trip back in. 
There's a move going on down in the bay, the snapps are passing the baton to the gurnies, but there's little of either at the minute. I'm looking forward to next month, the water according to my Garmin was 12.5c today.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 7:33pm
Gold
Gold

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 8:38pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looks close to a 40cm gurnard there HY. Good to see odd larger specimen moving in, a good sign more will arrive soon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 9:13pm
Chee View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Hard Yakker Hard Yakker wrote:

<div dir="ltr" -setdir="false" style="font-family: "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;">Nice bag of fish Hopkins.
<div dir="ltr" -setdir="false" style="font-family: "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;">Two gurnies and three little snapps was all I could manage today, I didn't see you there today Chee... it got a bit squally and cold actually, but settled down for my trip back in. <div dir="ltr" -setdir="false" style="font-family: "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;">There's a move going on down in the bay, the snapps are passing the baton to the gurnies, but there's little of either at the minute. I'm looking forward to next month, the water according to my Garmin was 12.5c today.<div dir="ltr" -setdir="false" style="font-family: "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;">

Good catch. I was not there. Couldn't ask for more as the missus already gave a lot fishing tickets. Work, kids. Maybe it is all the restrictions make fishing attractive, and may get bored if it's too convenient
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 2:22pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Took monday off (birthday) and popped up north a bit for a morning strayline off the kayak. Fishig was OK early on, kept 3 snapper, 60CM, 52CM, 50 CM. Lots of barely legal snapper around and some monster kahawai. Snapper in awesome condition.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 9:07pm
Chee View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Telecaster Telecaster wrote:

Took monday off (birthday) and popped up north a bit for a morning strayline off the kayak. Fishig was OK early on, kept 3 snapper, 60CM, 52CM, 50 CM. Lots of barely legal snapper around and some monster kahawai. Snapper in awesome condition.
That's a nice bday gift
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 4:14pm
Gold
Gold

I paddled out a couple of kms and then drifted with the westerly to the fishing boundary, I was fishing two rods, a slider and soft bait, nothing touched the slider so I put on my 28gm flea, which got quite a bit of attention dragging behind the yak, but as was said of Elvis Presley's closest fans, they were barely legal, but I did pick up a small kahawai which I cut into strips and floated down on a 7 recurve hook, I got a few for the table, and it was a bit of fun using bait again...there are some good days ahead...like Tuesday:)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 1:44pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thats a good birthday prezzy there Tele, decent fish too

Pretty consistent there Hard Yakker, you certainly know your local

I did an evening mish off Narrowneck under the cliffs last week & got skunked doing baits
Water was like a washing machine, nothing breaking or any white caps, just lumpy from all directions
On the way out, the yak didn't track straight, hardly any breeze, got to my spot, throwbacks straight away up to 32cm
Got really uncomfortable & gave up after 45mins..... spent most of that 45mins at anchor trying to keep my balance, no water coming over the side or anything like that

I fished the Manukau 15 times this year, its usually glass calm for the few hrs after dawn then it might chop up..... I didn't know that I could lose my sea legs like I did at Narrowneck

What's happened with Dan, his posts are missing as well
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 6:27pm
Gold
Gold

There wasn't much action at Campbells on my last outing so I went out wide today to the yellow buoy 3kms or so off Browns Bay. I picked up a few yellow tails on my Sabiki at the buoy and used thin squares of yellow tail for bait on my dropper rig.
 Having pulled a wire out of my Garmin this morning while setting up, I didn't have a fish finder and the going was very slow... then a fine flock of gurnard with  pretty pectoral wings found the random patch of mud I was parked over, thanks to them I got a good catch, they were all of a good size too. The pensioners will eat well this week:)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 8:12pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice work. They are good ones.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 8:19pm
Chee View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Good one, HY.
Should I reconsider my decision of no bait?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 8:55am
Gold
Gold

Hey Chee, if you have decided to not use bait then go with that, why not? The techniques you are currently exploring, small metal lures and sliders will catch you gurnard, you can also use bait on your slider, Cosmo was doing that yesterday, although I didn't see what he caught because I paddled miles out... you can drift or you can anchor, take your pick and learn to do that, but I like to use what Shane uses, a dropper rig with recurve hooks and small pieces of bait at anchor. 
I'm no expert but a bendy rod and a trace made with quite stiff leader, such that the hooks stay clear of the main line seem to help too,  just let the sharp recurve hook and the bendy rod do the work, and wined in your dinner.
Shane, when you're ready, on a calm winters day...it's time:)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 8:36pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I’ll be there Dave, just not likely this weekend. Well done though on your magnificent catch.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 8:52am
Chee View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi HY, I may try fishing this arvo, weather is prime. 

By `bendy rod`, is it specific as Ocean Angler Powerflex Bender, or generally light line rating rods can also do, eg Abu Garcia Veritas 4.0 VRT4-S 702L (Action: Light, Line Rating: 2-4kg)? Just broke one rod, with one Penn Regiment 761M ( left, need to shop another.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 9:49am
Chee View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Since dropper rig is much preferred by gurnard atm, catch rate outweighs inconvenience from baits. Definitely would give it go.
Do you make own rig? Most factory ones use mono only
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hard Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 7:07pm
Gold
Gold

Hey Chee, a Veritas 2-4kg rod would work nicely for me for gurnard, but others on the forum who actually know what they're talking will likely have a better recommendation for you. I make my own dropper rigs, but many of the premade shop rigs are excellent, I do find recurve hooks between 3-6 work best for me with gurnard. 
I took advantage of the calm spell today and got a few fish for the week,  a mix of smallish snapps, gurnard and kahawai, so my usual, but they're good eaters:)
My session today was hard work, a bit painful really, I cut my hand in two places and it wouldn't stop bleeding, then I got into a couple of bad tangles with multiple rods and a bloody shark flicked my knife and a few other things over the side...bugger.
But a few things went my way, first up I caught a string of four small kahawai on my sabiki on my first drop, they made good baits for the snapps and gurnards, but I put one of the kahawai's heads out stray lining looking for a bigger snapper, and got the booby prize, a shark, and it made a bloody mess, Thursday morning is looking ok this week...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 9:36pm
Chee View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice, HY. I started padding around 3pm at Campbells bay. Saw one fisho from far, was that you?
Took 3 rods, sabiki, a 8 foot for slider, and one for jigging. Found the 8 foot in garage, which does a bit whipping on yak. But no bite for a while. Suddenly sabiki got a little kawa, which was cut into pieces to feed slider hooks. the flesh added more actions, even hooked a decent snap, but it dropped hook just coming out water. There were a few bites on slider, but no hook up. jigs and softbaits didn't get bites. Sabiki got a yellow tail later. Overall sabiki and slider combo worked as planned, only less on heat.
Fished about 500m from shore. Next time try further?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2022 at 4:21pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey guys, any tips for targeting gurnard off the bays
Ive never fished north of narrowneck.... well, only twice at Sullies on club trips (1 snap & skunked)
Missed out last season on a couple of invites from Muppet to join his crew, they all cleaned up
cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2022 at 11:55pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by BananaBoat BananaBoat wrote:

Hey guys, any tips for targeting gurnard off the bays
Ive never fished north of narrowneck.... well, only twice at Sullies on club trips (1 snap & skunked)
Missed out last season on a couple of invites from Muppet to join his crew, they all cleaned up
cheers

I usually go off Arkles bay in 10m, using salted bonito or small cubes of pilchard on 2 hook ledger rigs (circle hooks). I find soft rods work best, can fish 2 rods at the same time.

I have fished with Dan (muppet) off Browns bay just outside the reef with similar results. I suspect anywhere from NN to Shakespear is basically the same terrain once you get off the sand on onto mud.
Page  <1 826827828829830 849>